Supermarkets and Retail

“Let me do this one thing before i die.”

5 Likes

The only trick they don’t do in a Godrey’s demo is pick up a bowling ball with the nozzle. I inadvertently subjected myself to a demonstration there once but never again.

2 Likes

i think it was. It certainly wasn’t a supermarket.

I wonder if this may be the reason why? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Found this through Google. Locations of K-Mart, Coles New World, and Coles Variety Stores throughout Melbourne and surrounding areas.

2 Likes

You can pick up a bowling ball with the suction from your mouth with the attachment they use…

1 Like

Week before the masters sale was announced i brought a leatherman quite cheap - i it was somewhere around $60 if i recall.

During the “sale” it went up in price by $20 from the previous week

Everyone buys Dyson vacuums these days which Godfreys don’t sell for some reason. Hence they fail.

Found this 1986 Stamp Promotion through Google.

2 Likes

not every body only ones that can afford it which isnt many

Simply spend $175 and get a 20 cent knife and fork for free!!!

4 Likes

To be fair, those Flybuys and Woolies Reward schemes today are effectively the same bullshit rolled in a fancy points system glitter. Spend $2000 on groceries and you can spend your points on a $5 toaster!

2 Likes

A year prior, Safeway Australia did their own Stamp Promotion.

Found at: http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=15983&f=23

1 Like

Not quite. Spend $2000 and get $10 off your shopping is better.

If you play the game right, you can get bonus points which means you get your dollars faster.

1 Like

The credit cards that they offer is also brownie points to $10 off from what I’ve heard.

sigh check out should be two words in that context and unless the knife and fork tell you how good you look, they mean “complement” rather than “compliment”.

They couldn’t even blame autocorrect back then!

1 Like

Mine might be stranger when I pull out a blue insulated cold bag from Coles purchased some time ago (I don’t think you can purchase the particular bag I have, and I’ve got 3 of them), which reminds me that I need to pack a couple for the Canberra trip this weekend.

Woolies bought a few supermarkets in Tasmania in the 80s and kept the branding for whatever reason.

3 Likes

Woolies relationship with Tassie has always been weird.

They’ve still never integrated Woolworths Rewards in Tasmania, they still run a different loyalty scheme called Frequent Shopper Club which is advertised as a better scheme than what the mainland get!

Also speaking of these 80s era stamp offers, I’ve noticed IGA (at least in WA) doing similar schemes with cookware recently. Not using stamps but dockets I believe.

Yep, Roelf Vos in the North and Purity in the South. Both changed to Woolies around mid-late 90’s.

Roelf Vos - the fresh food people!