Supermarkets and Retail

I actually like the name ‘Coles New World’.

5 Likes

They seem to have shortened the L on a lot of the refreshed store fronts too.

3 Likes

Local computer store

3 Likes

The Star Media Platinum Cinema Advertising Network promo in cinemas still has a fleeting Dick Smith Talk to the Techxperts logo. They obviously can be bothered updating it.

2 Likes

From Coles:
Capture3
https://www.coles.com.au/~/media/files/coles/pdfs/coles%20centenary/chapter%209.pdf

3 Likes

Nice going Ian McLeod!

From memory the cables were some of the things the stores were most overstocked with (that and batteries) so were the things that got the deepest discounts towards the end of the liquidation.

Not surprised to still see them in other retailers (and as I posted a couple weeks back, in some cases some of the stock made its way to at least one Canadian retailer).

1 Like

Some Wii games stayed until final days. The Uniden stuff was the first to go. I just found it a bland firesale and nothing special. EB Games has more surprising sales.

Those aisle board signs are a hangover from the last incarnation of Coles New World logo seen on this promotion https://goo.gl/images/wQYtTA

3 Likes

The colour of the item slides in those Coles aisle signs were changed from grey to red at some point though.

coies

6 Likes

“Check Out the Good Things at Coles New World!”

Considering at one point just before the closure was announced they wanted in excess of $60 for a 3 pack of composite cables, its no surprise they were sitting on so much stock

I ended up getting a DPR-44 radio - identical to another one sold for $250 - for $29 after Kogan decided to clear out Dick’s remaining electronics stock. I really should have bought more than one but it got OzBargained…

2 Likes

Reminds me of the terrible Masters closing sale.

1 Like

I thought those signs were introduced when the orb logo launched?

1 Like

They were. Certainly not around in the new world era. They were part of the massive rebrand.

3 Likes

From ABC’s The Late Show 1993. it seems not every Coles rebranded.

21%20pm

1 Like

But that was the Coles Variety Store logo rather than the Coles New World Supermarket logo. I’m sure that Melbourne one was a Variety Store that became a Target later?

They started using that logo on everything, including the supermarkets later, before moving onto the orb.

3 Likes