Supermarkets and Retail

The small kitchen tidy bags at Woolworths are 6 cents each. That’s what I get for the small bathroom bin rather than using the free supermarket bags I used to easily obtain. The withdrawal of the thin bags from Woolworths hasn’t stopped me using thin plastic bags for garbage I just have to buy them instead.

you can get compostable ones. that’s what I do. and the normal shopping bags never fit the kitchen bin anyway

5 Likes

Christ we Aussies are whingers. Most of Europe has coped without free plastic bags for bins for decades.

3 Likes

I guess none of those whingers shop at Aldi, Dan Murphy’s or in SA.

It’s really just habit to use the free plastic bags, I am from SA and got used to not having the bags. I now live in Victoria and when I go back to SA I often forget to bring my green bag

2 Likes

Plus the NT, ACT and Tasmania.

1 Like

I’m from SA & it many have taken me sometime but now I’m used to not having Plastic Bags in Supermarkets, but everytime I go over to a Victorian Supermaket Checkout area with a green bag in my hand, I’m like what the hell did I bring a green bag all the way to a Victoria for?, I could have been given a free plastic bag instead!, I’m just not used to seeing plastic bags in supermarkets anymore.

1 Like

Drove past Woolworths Heidelberg earlier in the week and it’s been demolished. One of the last completely free standing Woolworths in my area. No doubt it’ll be replaced by an apartment overdevelopment with retail below.

https://georgerydell.com/news/woolworths-heidelberg-recently-awarded-new-fabcot-development/

Thanks for that! My cynicism was unwarranted!

1 Like

nek minnit

2 Likes

That Wolli Creek store is actually a real missed opportunity. Could have easily been a Woolworths/small shopping centre with an apartment building above it. Such a waste.

Aldi is building a few blocks away with plans for a apartment building above it.

There was a reason for it though. Coles had plans to build a supermarket with a group of shops under one of the planned apartment blocks. Then they changed their mind.

Woolworths acquired that former factory site and under stealth built the supermarket to beat Coles to it. When it was under construction, they had been telling everyone it was going to be a bulky goods retailer.

The Coles development became a victim of the supermarkets war and was put on the backburner for years. It remained as a hole in the ground until recently. This is where the new Aldi supermarket and five shops will be.

Woolies also has plans to demolish their site and upgrade in the future.There’s talk that they want to build a 20 storey building with two floors of commercial.

I just googled it, and apparently they’re looking to knock down the existing Woolies and open this massive apartment/retail building on the site by late 2020!

I’m surprised they’re knocking it down so quickly (the building is less than half a decade old!!!), but I guess the value of the land dictates that demolishing it and building a huge apartment block above it will end up making much more money than just leaving it not fulfilling its full $$$$$$$$$$ potential.

It’s disappointing though. That Woolies is the only one near Sydney’s CBD with the traditional car parking on ground level directly outside the store entrance, which I find is much more appealing to shop at than having to navigate through underground parking and being funneled through maze-like shopping centre layouts just to reach a supermarket. I’d probably be very happy if I lived in the US or Canada, because that kind of big box supermarket/retail is very popular over there.

On the other hand, those kinds of layouts with huge amounts of ground level parking aren’t very conducive to a healthy urban environment…

They built a similar one last year in an old warehouse building at Alexandria. Smaller site though but there is a Dan Murphy’s next door there too.

Neutral Bay is closer to the CBD than Wolli Creek and has a surface carpark out the front.

That said, obviously nobody in their right mind will cross the bridge just to go grocery shopping.

1 Like

YES!

And given Sydney’s traffic, the ice cream would melt before you even get back across the Harbour!

Notice there are no black staff in the Winn Dixie ad - yet in the BiLo ad, most of the staff are black.

Speaking of Coles…

I was in there the other day and noticed they had a few signs up that used their logo font - in this case having ‘tomatoes’ near the tomatoes (oddly enough). It’s in a location they previously used that Coles Fresh logo - so I wonder if they are trying to deliberately associate ‘Coles’ with foods directly like that?

Hopefully they take that to the extent that McDonalds do with the ‘Maccas’ stuff and rebrand some of their stores to have just random food names out the front instead of ‘Coles’.

Coles have used their ‘logo font’ as part of their regular branding on and off over the years. It’s nothing really special.

Remember those “you’ll love coles” branded things and the ancient aisle signs?

The fact that Coles doesn’t actually have a logo means that the only thing in their branding that has leverage is the font. I really dislike how they don’t actually have any kind of emblem in their logo - just having the word ‘coles’ on the shopfront is really plain looking, and where they’ve replaced signage with the old ‘New World’ logo it just looks really odd and a waste of space. I don’t know what they were thinking when they replaced that New World symbol.

7 Likes