Supermarkets and Retail

They stocked Bi-Lo brand generic products, at least towards the last few years of their existence.

1 Like

The Coles variety store on the corner of Pitt St and King St in Sydney also had one. It was demolished and replaced by Sydney Arcade.

1 Like
1 Like

Woolworths in Box Hill Central in Melbourneā€™s east has a sushi bar for a few years. A sushi counter was introduced to Woolworths at The Glen last year, after the supermarket moved to a new location as part of the shopping centreā€™s redevelopment.

Just finished a crunchy salmon roll from Woollies. Theyā€™re not bad but a bit expensive and not as good as many local sushi shops.

1 Like

Sushi Hub still have huge queues outside their shops. I donā€™t understand why, to be honest. I mean, the variety of sush they have is good but the quality is not that different than other sushi shops with no queues.

I prefer Sushi Sushi over Sushi Hub

1 Like

If memory serves me right, Frankston once had a 2-storey McDonaldā€™s.

Woolworths is now pre-packaging bananas. They say itā€™s what customers want, but only in Queensland, apparently, but I find it hard to believe that any customer, even in Queensland, would prefer a package to choosing their own.

I wouldnā€™t buy those because it would seem to me like theyā€™re trying to hide something with that packaging.

2 Likes

It certainly did with a big indoor playground.

1 Like

That indoor playground was awesome.

More compo claims in Queensland then other states?

Thereā€™s one at a Woolies I shop at, between the fruit and veg area and the meat department. It smells awful and puts me off buying meat there.

Thereā€™s also a takeaway pizza bar in a local Woolies, but Iā€™ve never tried the pizza.

Different prices based on where you live for Coke at BIGW. Different prices in Canberra and Queanbeyan, Tweed Heads and Coolangatta, Albury and Wodonga?

1 Like

The higher prices in NSW, SA and NT probably have something to do with the container deposit programs in those states/territory?

5 Likes

All the more reason to hurry up and make that a national scheme.

I saw a Coke carton with can return scheme labelling in Aldi a few weeks back, never seen anything like that when it was just in SA/NT.

1 Like

Because NSW have ballsed this up - you can only return certain containers, which must carry the logo

2 Likes

A sentence applicable to so many things, but thatā€™s for another time and topicā€¦

2 Likes

Not true at all - the bottle/can just needs to be uncrushed and have a barcode visible on the label for their scanners. The text on the side of the bottles hasnā€™t even been updated to include NSW alongside SA/NT yet. The only things you canā€™t return are milk, juice and wine/spirit bottles which is consistent with other schemes across the country.

I suspect that @Moe is referring to the little graphic that Coke has started putting on their cartons to advertise the fact that you can get up to $2.40 or $3 back by returning all 24 or 30 cans inside the box. The cans/bottles themselves have nothing special printed on them.

3 Likes