Supermarkets and Retail

New campaign for Coles

Also Liquormate
4 Square
Goodfellows
Half Case
Cheap Foods (SA based)
Foodtown (later merged with SSW to become ā€œFoodtown SSW, bigger and better for youuuuuā€ :notes:
Dirt Cheap Warehouse - was a failed venture by Coles Myer into the $2 shop market. The venture went bust and all the stock was offloaded to Kmart stores to sell through

Thereā€™s still one operating IIRC. The second last one rebranded to Woolies Metro last year.

I actually went into that new Woolworths Metro at Bexley North a couple of weeks ago. Itā€™s not just a patch up job. They really did a good job refurbishing it. Just like any other Woolworths but tiny.

I havenā€™t had a reason to visit Jannali in a while but I might make an effort next time I visit a mate who lives nearby.

1 Like

Yes, hopefully they put more checkout operators back on.

Iā€™ve sometimes seen as a few as just 2 checkout operators at my local Coles, whereas Woolies usually have 5 or 6, despite both being full line stores and in the same shopping centre.

this is a major issue at my local coles. also the fact they donā€™t open the self checkouts until around 9:30 am.
this is really frustrating if iā€™m ducking in to grab a few things after dropping the kids off at school - iā€™m stuck behind people doing a weekly shop

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen this at Woolworths with the self checkouts closed in the last hour or two of trading, but also the reverse at other stores with only the self checkouts open.

1 Like

Polar opposite to what Iā€™m used to in WA, with Coles always having more than enough checkouts open apart from maybe the last hour of trade on weekdays but Woolworths always the one with constant lines at checkout at all times of the day.

1 Like

Thats my childhood right there. Must go to SA then.

Bi Lo was owned by Coles, and all remaining Bi Lo stores were converted to Coles by June last year.

i remember Whatā€™s New? in Frankston. i also remember Frankston having a fair few bookstores.

More dead stores include:
Darrell Leaā€™s.
Grace Bros.
Angus and Robertson.
Blockbuster Video.

Tandy and DSE are another 2 that are gone (but DSE was dead to me for years before it went belly up - as soon as they got rid of the funway kits and components and turned into the Target electronics section)

I also remember going to the Coles Cafe with my mother when we took a trip into melbourne to go to the football.

Target itself might Merge into K-Mart and keep the Essentials.

I donā€™t remember Coles having a cafe. But I do rememberā€¦

images%20(1)

We were lucky to have a Coles New World (later Super Kmart) built in the '70s where I live, which still stands today as a Coles and Kmart under one roof with a partition wall in between.

Super%20K%20Mart

The section which was Hollyā€™s is now just part of Kmartā€™s shop floor with an odd looking bulkhead ceiling.

6 Likes

thats a throwback to the past.

heres one i remember as well (might just be a melbourne thing though)

https://youtu.be/eMYpLagx6Ik

Smorgys all you can eat

Going back to the whole BI-LO/Newmart thing just briefly since Iā€™m curious, I know that BI-LO had their own brand of generic products in their store, did Newmart ever stock their own alternative with their branding, or did they just stock the BI-LO branded stuff or not at all?

The Coles variety store on the cnr of Pitt and Liverpool Sts in Sydney had a Coles Cafeteria. The standard of the food was the same at the Woolworths Cafeteria at Town Hall. As kid I thought it was all ok, but these days I would give it miss. It was the equivalent of what is available at todayā€™s truck stops.

Itā€™s probably just me, but Coles New World actually sounds better than just Coles.

1 Like

Is it a common thing?

Woolworths also have the sushi bars in selected stores