Supermarkets and Retail

Woolworths is set to scrap 51 roles, predominantly Australia-based, as it shuts down a branch of the business that is focused on exports.

Woolworths International, part of the B2B food group which is a division of Woolworths, has operated as an exporter for some of its own products as well as wholesale partners, many of which were from overseas.

The closure will be completed by the end of June.

Some of the impacted staff members could be redeployed into other parts of Woolworths while the rest will be given redundancy packages.

I didn’t even realise that Woolworths had been running its own export business.

2 Likes

I think they were exporting Woolworths branded products to other big supermarkets around the world, but other than that I’m not too sure what else they were doing with it.

1 Like

I was driving down my local road today which has 2 EG Fuel stations about 2km apart. Diesel at one is 199.9, the other 183.9. It has remained that way for the last week. Madness.

1 Like

That’s happening in my area too at the moment. I noticed because I always check the NSW Fuel Check app when I need to fill up.

EG at Kogarah 189.9 and EG Banksia 209.9 since yesterday.

By the way, the Kogarah EG which had its Everyday Rewards sign covered up a while ago, has it uncovered again and they accept the rewards cards again. Must have had an end of contract but then decided to sign up again with Woolies.

1 Like

This is the biggest discrepancy I’ve ever seen re local fuel prices

On another note the Ampol Foodary in Old Guildford only recently started to accept the WW 4c Discount (EDR-only signs were recently swapped over) alongside getting Everyday Rewards points.

Although not the first time this has happened (per in a few other suburbs), this Ampol Foodary are basically next to the EG on the same street that already accepts EDR/Discounts.

1 Like
1 Like

Marvel Stadium is introducing “The Runner”, which uses Amazon’s “Just Walk Out” technology.

Pre-registered users will be able to grab the food and drink they want and return to their seat without any queues to checkout.

https://mailchi.mp/marvelstadium/worldsupercross-is-coming-to-marvel-stadium-971604

(Not sure why the link says world super cross… it is about the runner)

2 Likes

Lol $72 for dishwashing tablets?

I have noted the a few other price jumps in the last week to two. Ice-creams have all jumped 20%. Cereal is another. Still a bit yo-yo with fruit and vegetables. Avocado’s are now $2 everywhere and I got bananas today for $3 kg for the first time in ages. Apples have jumped though.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/australians-reeling-as-cost-of-household-essential-soars-in-price/news-story/8ac6a3cfed0eca6e6f2d84f83d08fdf7

1 Like

Good Friday tomorrow, so keeping a watch out for reports of Brisbane shoppers flocking to Woolworths at Skygate because they couldn’t plan far enough ahead to avoid needing a trip to the only open supermarket.

2 Likes

Are you one of them? :grin:

1 Like

No, though I feel a need to rush our and line up to buy some seafood at the markets. Another perpetual Easter report.

2 Likes

Love seeing the Sydney seafood markets every year as a Good Friday news piece 3000km away in Perth :rofl: so relevant.

Perth’s equivalent Woolworths under construction next to DFO at Perth Airport is almost certainly going to be 24/7 as well, and therefore get the same media treatment :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hopefully the media show a local version of the lines of traffic leaving the city.

Almost as thrilling as the “BREAKING NEWS” of the latest house fire or car crash in the breakfast shows. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I just drove down my local road which has all three supermarket chains. All had people in cars in the carpark, people looking in supermarket window and people hovering around the entrance waiting for it to open. Further down the same thing at Kmart, was more people actually like a dozen cars constantly flowing in and out.

I mean surely people can go a day with Kmart.

2 Likes

Yeah or remove the Good Friday trading restrictions as not everyone is religious and they are outdated. I would happily work Good Friday if I can and take another day off in lieu. If they are people who want to shop today, then let them shop.

Personally, I think it would be fine to have shops open on Good Friday but have them shut on Easter Sunday when families usually get together to celebrate Easter. It’s ridiculous how some businesses are open while others are forced to shut.

Many cafes in my local area are open today. My gym is shut today but opens normally on Sunday. My sister was at her gym this morning and they had gym classes as normal. Strange.

Easter Sunday trading restrictions are only a NSW and SA thing at this point IIRC, whereas Good Friday has maintained some degree of restrictions nationwide.

Agree with you that its a bit unusual when Sunday is traditionally the day of gatherings over the long weekend.