Supermarkets and Retail

Spudshed competes in a space missing since the era of Action and Newmart (BI-LO). I can remember the Stirling Central Newmart was a warehouse setup before they converted to the standard supermarket layout.

Heh, i live in Gosnells but i usually go the Bentley one.

It Used to be an IGA until mid-2018, like how the NP in Cannington is.

1 Like

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Brands, Products and Promotions

A new Priceline pharmacy was opened in East Victoria Park. The new Priceline pharmacy was located near the Aldi store and next to the traffic lights.

2 Likes

Coles Variety Store in Hunter Street, Newcastle May 1986.

Coles%20Variety%20Store

Were the variety stores sold or rebranded?

2 Likes

Woolworths expanded its “Scan and Go” service to six locations in Sydney recently: Supermarkets in Mona Vale and Double Bay, plus Metro stores in Pitt Street, York Street, George Street and the MetCentre. Then they introduced this generous offer of a 25 percent discount on groceries for the whole month of September for Everyday Rewards customers.

I made a few purchases in the city this month and was stoked about how much of a big saving it was. Then, it seems like way too many people took them up on the offer. I used it this week and the single scanner checkout machine was overwhelmed. It took way longer to finalise the sale and took ages to reset between customers. So a long queue was forming and it took longer than a regular self-service checkout.

Today, Woolies have restricted their generous offer by limiting the number of purchases and amount of purchases. They put a message on the “Scan and Go” app. I guess people were really taking advantage of the offer and it was hurting their profits.

25% off your next two shops, up to a limit of $250 per shop, when you use the Woolworths Scan&Go mobile app on and from 20th September until 27th September 2019, or such other period of time as Woolworths may determine in its discretion (the “Offer”). The Offer is only available at the following stores: Woolworths Mona Vale and Woolworths Double Bay. The Offer is not available at any other store and is not available online. This offer is exclusive to registered Woolworths Rewards members with the Woolworths Scan&Go app. The Offer does not apply to purchases of smoking and tobacco products, liquor, gift cards (including iTunes), mobile recharge, Woolworths Mobile, travel cards, intervention items, donations, Carpet Care, Pre-order Kiosks or purchases on a charge account.

25% off your shop, up to a limit of $50 per shop, when you use the Woolworths Scan&Go mobile app on and from 20th September until 27th September 2019, or such other period of time as Woolworths may determine in its discretion (the “Offer”). The Offer is only available at the following stores: Woolworths Metro Pitt Street, Woolworths Metro MetCentre, Woolworths Metro York Street & Woolworths Metro George Street. The Offer is not available at any other store and is not available online. This offer is exclusive to registered Woolworths Rewards members with the Woolworths Scan&Go app. The Offer does not apply to purchases of smoking and tobacco products, liquor, gift cards (including iTunes), mobile recharge, Woolworths Mobile, travel cards, intervention items, donations, Carpet Care, Pre-order Kiosks or purchases on a charge account.

TV spotters wil note the massive Sydney TV antenna on the building next door :smile:

2 Likes

I don’t think Coles sold them off to one particular company. The Woolworths variety stores suffered the same fate.

The ones I can remember in surrounding suburbs became other discount shops or supermarkets.

Rockdale had both Woolies and Coles. A large Target killed them off but then a Big W then killed that. Not sure what happened to which but they were replaced by discount shops like Go-Lo and Discount Base (or were they Clint’s Crazy Prices or The Reject Shop at certain times?). Now, the Woolworths is an Asian supermarket/discount shop and the Coles is a large Discount Chemist.

Kogarah had a Coles which became a Discount base and is now a cheap Asian discount shop.

Bexley became a Jewels supermarket which then took over the Flemings next door. The site was redeveloped/refurbished and is now an IGA.

2 Likes

There are some that stayed as impromptu variety stores (without specific branding as such) right through til the mid 90s. The Coles in Perth CBD that was converted to a Target is the main example I can think of but I’m sure there are others.

3 Likes

What was Woolworths Variety Town Hall in Sydney with a supermarket and cafeteria turned into Woolworths supermarket Townhall with variety and a cafeteria. In later years the clothing, homewares and electronics sections resembled BigW before most of those lines got removed. I’m not sure what is on the upper levels now.

Melbourne’s Bourke St store became a Target, Bentleigh’s became a Fosseys after Coles Myer took them over and moved into the bigger store on Centre Rd but closed last December.

I stayed in Sydney over Easter and visited this store several times. The cafeteria is still there while the upper level is a bit like Big W as you have said, and very quiet.

Ok. The last time I was there last year the upper level section where the internet cafe used to be was deserted, and there was no indication what was going to replace it.

It’s weird that they haven’t tried to redesign it so they can get more customers upstairs. The food levels on Ground and Lower Ground are so packed out and customers struggle to navigate those narrower aisles. The stock moves so fast, that they have to have big caged trolleys in the way throughout the day as staff struggle to replenish stock.

They need to have a rethink and maybe move toiletries/pharmacy/beauty products upstairs. Or even better, spread the food & drink stock over three levels so they don’t need to restock as often.

1 Like

The upper levels still have expanded lines of electronics like Big W.

1 Like

I’m sure that’s the first floor only. Magazines/greeting cards/clothes/photo processing/kitchenware/electrical/home furnishings/hardware/pet food etc. I think the second floor cafeteria is abandoned now and access is blocked.

1 Like

Another fail for Woolworths Scan & Go trial. Couldn’t even use the app today at Double Bay, supposedly due to too many concurrent users. Or did they restrict the number of users?

Too many users wanting 25% off prepaid Visa cards

There are some exclusions to the offer:

The Offer does not apply to purchases of smoking and tobacco products, liquor, gift cards (including iTunes), mobile recharge, Woolworths Mobile, travel cards, intervention items, donations, Carpet Care, Pre-order Kiosks or purchases on a charge account.

Was at a shop yestarday…I think it was like a 2nd-hand shop…And I saw this old rellic

7 Likes