Super Radio Network

Hang on, I remember you claiming previously that Grafton’s commercial FM station was simply known as “104.7”, and that the ‘new’ in the branding was simply to indicate a novel change? Then again, perhaps your post above is tinged with sarcasm.

FWIW, I think NEW 1047 is a better name than (the new) 104.7.

1 Like

Is there any plans to bring network programming in line?

At the moment, Max is pretty hot during the day, and then doing to AC when on network. 104.7 plays a lot of classic rock and a general mix of anything and everything. Lismore is a CHR playlist that is 2 years late.

That’s just the few I heard on a recent trip down to Sydney, but the network as a whole lacks identity. It wouldn’t be a hard turnaround to bring them all into line, and will most likely save workload in each market.

1 Like

That’s the work people should be doing in each market, learning the ropes, understanding how to schedule music, program stations, production and so on. Not good for industry talent depth to not have those jobs.

It’s just as useless, and potentially even worse to have people “learning” those jobs with next to no guidance or supervision. For example, a young person who’s asked to schedule music with no supervision will not learn from their mistakes, because they won’t know what they did wrong. They’ll develop bad habits which are hard to undo and all of a sudden they’re unemployable.

There’s some major technical problems this morning on the Super Radio Network here on the Mid North Coast. 2PM (FM 93.5 Radio 531) and 2HC are playing the scheduled ad breaks and local news. 2HC are going to the standby music at the transmitter but dead air on 2PM. Also no national news. 2GF doing its breakfast show as normal but no news bulletins.

3 Likes

Interesting thought. You must be in favour of hubbing and networking SCA and Grant style?

Plenty have moved on from Bill’s regional stations and very much employable. If you have the drive and willingness to learn, it’s never a problem.

Super Radio Network’s under 40’s stations instead of a network announcer until 6pm yesterday was airing the Australian produced I Heart Radio countdown.

How long has this been airing on a Saturday afternoon on this network?

Yes and no… when working with limited resources, I think it makes sense to network/hub some functions. Music is a good example of this - for example, CHR stations are going to play similar music regardless of who is programming them. Does is really make sense to pay 10 people to do the same job at 10 different (but similar) stations when the result would be more or less the same if just one person did it for all 10. In this case, that one person could be given less alternative tasks to do, giving them more time to do a better job, while also freeing up resources to do other work.

However, there is obviously a limit. Stations can be too networked and start to lose all identity. The same can happen if stations that are grouped together are not all that similar.
Local and networked operations are both important in running a good group of stations - it’s just a matter of getting the balance right, which some operators do better than others.

3 Likes

It has been confirmed Coast FM will continue to broadcast all Mariners games under the new broadcast deal with Crocmedia.

1 Like

Apparently ABC 1233 had the rights to the glorious 5-1 belting of the Gypos on Saturday. :wink:

If Bill had some brains - turn 2SM into a sports station. Sydney doesn’t have one and there is content - they’ve got A-League and AFL games, get Super Rugby and NBL, maybe some EPL now that EON has bit the dust. Get some talented commentators that aren’t the Talking Sport team.

1 Like

Sports Radio is very niche and it already covered by Triple M and Sky Sports Radio.

In other news…anyone in the South West Slopes of NSW (Young, Cowra, Cootamundra, Temora etc), you might watch to listen into 2LF and Roccy FM from next week. :wink:

Is ROCCY going to live up to its moniker and play an eclectic mix of album tracks, full album sides, and other rarities?

I’m not from the SW Slopes but 93.9 MHz is pretty much a permanent weak to fair signal on my 8 element Yagi, from the southern suburbs of Sydney. Enhancement brings it up to 2-3 bars, mostly in the morning.

1 Like

No idea.

I’ve never received ROCCY here in Newcastle (or ROK FM Parkes).
Only occasionally REAL FM Mudgee makes it across the divide to here.

SCA stations fare much better, Wagga and Orange can sometimes be received here, though nothing at all from Dubbo (including ZOO).

1 Like

Any update on the competition to vote for MAXFM Taree’s new logo? Has it been knocked back?

No updates so far on the new logo for Max FM (as far as I can tell anyway), but I really hope they’re going back to the drawing board because those concept designs weren’t great IMO.

1 Like

Neil Marks, the on air glue of 2LM/ZZZ will do his last regular breakfast show on Tuesday morning.

He’s decided enough is enough of the early morning starts and will be assisting a friend’s motorcycle business along with his Lismore City Councillor commitments.

In his decades at the Goonellebah studios, he’s established the station on computer with music library/scheduling, involved in the creation of ZZZ FM, Christmas appeal, numerous floods/natural disasters and much more. He remains an in demand talent for v/o and his voice has long been a mainstay of radio in the area, a distinguished voice.

Going to be a tough ask to find such a versatile replacement who really understands the power of radio and how it can connect a community if done right.

2 Likes

A bit of background - I lived in Young for 12 months on a contract and listened to a fair bit of 2LF and Roccy FM. People seemed to enjoy the Saturday local shows - exactly what a local station_should_ be doing. Until Billy Boy decided to network out of his Fortress of Crap during the weekend, and cancel those shows.

Thankfully the wonderful 2YYY took them up. They may not sound professional, but they did the exact right thing. This is one of my many bug bears with commercial media - you can’t just replicate the same stuff Sydney has. 2LF is not 2GB, or even 2SM, despite Bill’s best efforts. Heck, you could’ve pre-recorded those shows and automated the playout. 2NM does this, I know it for a FACT! (former local sports publicity officer - all my bits for 2NM were recorded Friday arvo).

I know one of you works there, and I wish you all the best, as Young is a lovely place. But I’m giving you my 2c and saying it stunk. Thankfully 2YYY is there doing a grand job of doing what it’s licensed to do - serving the community to which it is licensed to.

2 Likes

That would be me! Young is a great place and we’ll be bringing in some exciting new changes to 2LF in the near future.

I recall Bill saying that about the Grecian marble coming for the ‘new’ 2HD studios. That was over a decade ago, it never happened.

2 Likes