Super Radio Network

I read this morning that A-League will be broadcast on Super Radio Network across NSW and SE Queensland from the 2017-18 season. While 2HD will broadcast Newcastle Jets games, how will Central Coast Mariners games be covered, given there is no station on Gosford itself? I am not familiar with the coverage, can nearby stations like 2SM be received in the Central Coast region with a clear signal?

Yes, 2SM gets into the Central Coast OK, but my guess is that there won’t be any station covering Mariners games regularly.

2SM would mostly stick to Sydney FC and Wanderers games I think.

Crocmedia bought the rights for the A-League - SRN getting it through them

I posted about Crocmedia buying the A-League rights this morning but forgot to state it here.
No regular coverage of Mariners games could be bad news for the fans in the region. Similar to Tasmania which still does not have regular radio coverage of Hobart Hurricanes playing in the BBL.

1 Like

Actually Coast FM 96.3 which is a community station on the Central Coast covers all Mariners games, so at least Coasties won’t have to rely on picking up 2SM.

3 Likes

CoastFM 96.3 Gosford have the rights to broadcast all Mariners games & have done for some years now, coming season is currently still under negotiation, but we believe we’ll get the rights again.

We have our own commentary team that travels around to call every Mariners game live.

2 Likes

Fanciful claims by FFA and Crocmedia that the national soccer competition has never been on commercial radio. During its dark days in the late 1990s before Jones and Hadley arrived, 2GB flirted with live NSL soccer coverage. 2GB also had live coverage of the Sydney Kings NBL finals games back then.

From Radio Today:

“The deal with Crocmedia marks the first of its kind for the FFA. Since its inception in 1963, the governing body had never signed a commercial radio deal.”

1 Like

SEN used to do A-League coverage as well?

1 Like

Interesting, 2gb and triple M just watch rugby league it on the tv. How can a community station afford it?

1 Like

Sometimes commercial broadcasters are just being too cheap.

Though I’m pretty sure Triple M called the Raiders vs Knights game last night at the ground in Canberra, as they were about a play ahead of the FOX pictures.

4WK AM 1359 site under contract/sold

The former site of the Toowoomba AM translator for 4WK, 37 Jones Street has finally found a buyer.

The 1.07Ha site across three titles is a ‘battle axe’ shaped block.

State department that values land valued the site in 2016 at $440 000. That’s the value of land if it was untouched when first settled. This land reflects just that as no development besides the now removed AM stick. Not true market value.

It was ‘officially’ on the market for 118 days between 16 Dec 2016 and 12 Apr 2017. First listed for tender/EOI, when that failed, listed for $500 000. Then around early March, reduced to $449 000. Change of original agent to the now selling agent in April and another reduction to $400 000.

The last advert date was 12 Apr 2017 with the following details:

Massive Price Reduction

• 10,760m2 Lot zoned ‘Medium Impact Industry’
  • 17m wide access handle to site
  • Access to power, water and sewage
  • Potential to subdivide. Currently on 3 lots
  • Very competitively priced at less than $38/m2
  • Opportunity for staged industrial development, or land bank for the future

Ray White Commercial Toowoomba have marked it as being sold on 17 August 2017 for $340 000. Significantly less. When the paperwork is all lodged with the Title Registry, the actual price, dates and new owner will be available.

1 Like

Max FM in Taree is asking listeners via their website on which of the 4 new logos they should use. Their current logo has been in use since the station first went to air in 1997.

More at Radioinfo: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/help-max-choose-station-logo

2 Likes

I don’t really like any of them, but if I had to pick one of them, I’d go for Number 3.

Yeah same. 1, 2 and 4 are terrible IMHO and 3 is ok.

1 Like

Number 3

If you ask me, the Super Radio Network FM station which really needs a new logo is New 104.7 up in the Clarence Valley. I mean, their logo (also used since Day 1 of broadcasting) doesn’t even have the current name of the station!

As much as I might have a soft spot for it, I can understand why Max FM wants to change their logo. The current/old one looks too “Late 1990s/Early 2000s” for a station which positions itself as having “Today’s Hottest Songs” and being a “Hit Music Station” for the Manning Valley & Great Lakes in 2017 going on 2018.

However, I’m not really a fan of any of the new designs being pitched in that survey. #3 is probably the best of an ordinary lot, but the frequency in a speech bubble concept is probably a better logo idea for 2RE.

3 Likes

Wow. Looks like the same “over designed” Super Network logos like 4AK and 4WK have recently received.

In saying that, options 2 & 3 look very schmick.

Shockers, the lot of them. However, in keeping with the ‘least worst’ decision making rubric that governs our current political climate, I’ll pick #3.

I’m in no real position to criticise points of graphic design though, as it’s definitely not my forte!

3 Likes

Love your observation. We’re onto that at NEW 1047. Looking at either following same design concept as MAX (if they go with #2 or #3) or developing a new one. In this age of Network image it is weird that this isn’t being driven at a higher level.

3 Likes

Great to hear.

As someone who occasionally visits the listening area from Sydney, I’ll be looking forward to hearing more about this (and any other developments at the two local stations that may be of interest) in the future! :slight_smile: