Super Radio Network

Some photos of Max FM’s station merchandise, which might be of interest:

Obviously, the tattoo pic has been mirrored so you can get a proper look at it. A very big thank you goes to Max FM presenter Lui Zacher for sending me all of this! :smile:

5 Likes

Does he have pics of similar 2RE or other Super Radio Network stuff?

The notepad was the only thing with a 2RE logo (well, technically it’s would be a Max FM/2RE-branded notepad) I got but I hope you appreciate the photos anyway! :slight_smile:

I did!

Didn’t spot the 2RE logo initially.

And thank you for posting :grinning:

1 Like

2GF are calling the local derby Group 2 Grand Final today between the South Grafton Rebels and Grafton Ghosts. Also relayed on 2HC in Coffs.

Any other Caralis stations that call local football games?

1 Like

I’m guessing that this local football game call on 2GF (and 2HC) is just a one-off for the Grand Final, but very interesting nonetheless.

SRN/BOG regional stations don’t usually have any local programing on Sundays, right?

The 1999 calling team of Bill Massingham, Darren Goodger and Peter Wiseman and two staff members all gave their time free to make a reunion to call the big game. The broadcast went out on G4 Internet from the ground to studio. The sideline call was powered by two UPS units. Total cost = $0. 2HC was connected to 2GF by codex tie-line and controlled remotely via a VNC connection. It was well received by the community and a lot of fun to do.

4 Likes

Goes to show you that you can get a big result from a little bit of effort. As someone who grew up walking distance from McKittrick Park and used to watch the Rebels growing up, I very much appreciated the live call. And to be able to listen online here in Brisbane was just the cherry on top.

Sounded like the 2GF I remember listening to in the 90’s :grinning::+1:

2 Likes

2PM Port Macquarie must have one of the LONGEST station IDs around (as I heard it a couple of times today whilst up here).

Here goes (deep breath)

“FM93.5 and Radio 531am”

Their local arvo shift from 12-3pm is mostly music and the sound quality is quite good (proper FM stereo). Music wise it seems similiar to 2MC FM.

1 Like

Not that this will surprise anyone, but the audio quality of the 2SM sourced programs on 93.5 in Port Macquarie is rather ordinary.

It pretty much sounds like it’s coming mostly out of the left channel.

1 Like

The Super Radio Netwirk websites look pretty old fashioned and gave me a bit of a laugh…

The Port Macquarie one below is a good example

http://www.superradio.net.au/index.html

1. Under ‘Listen Online’, it appears to give you the option of WMP, Winamp or Real Player (hardly anyone uses this anymore, do they ???). Then it says “You must use Winamp” Lol !!! Why bother putting the other 2 options there then?

2. Under “Program Highlights”, it has the image of a 10 year old iPod - the one with the small monochrome screen and the click wheel… Lol, hardly modern technology…

1 Like

I know that AM radio is the primary broadcast method of 2SM’s programing, but surely a bit of effort into the audio quality when the programs can be heard on DAB+ in Sydney and on FM translators in various regional areas? Even better sounding mono would be an improvement, let alone proper stereo!

As for the online streaming, I’m pretty sure that a grand total of 0 SRN/BOG regional stations are currently streaming online. Obviously all regional station streams (and even then, I don’t think all SRN/BOG regional streams had streams pre-February 2014) were pulled during that music licencing issue a couple of years ago and have never returned.

Zoo Digital in Sydney is on TuneIn.

1 Like

Did any of the NSW North Coast Caralis stations drop network programming on Thu in the daytime?

What about overnight?

Do any stream?

2LM and ZZZ were simulcasting and live all night. They usually are during floods - one thing they do well.

4 Likes

Great to hear, this is what radio should be.

Was Neil Marks on air during this or involved in disaster management with the council?

The Grenfell translator for their FM 93.9 Young station is on 99.5.

ACMA docs list it as 25 watts, yet can be received in Cowra as clearly as 100.7 (Cowra based AM station translator).

Why do ACMA allow Caralis to run these translators so much over spec?

The RADCOM database suggests that 99.5 is effectively an SFN for Roccy FM, operating on 99.5 in both:

• Cowra - at 50 watts from Bellevue Hill Lookout
  • Grenfell - at 25 watts from 34 Weddin St

Thanks, was not included in their explanatory paper or anything since of similar docs from ACMA.

I was up in Scone yesterday watching my nephew play football, & while sitting in the car watching, I scanned the Super Network AM stations.

I had a nice surprise with some & congratulate them, it’s a nice change from the shit we get in the city from all networks.

It used to be good to get out in the country & sample the different stations, now unfortunately most are just the same network shit as in the cities.

I spent most of the football game listening to 2TM who had fantastic Classic Hits playing (live & local)
2HD had talkback
2NZ had talkback I think, (reception wasn’t great & I caught it just before the news)
2MO had talkback
2PK I think had talkback (reception was almost non existent)
2DU had Classic Hits
2AD had The Best Songs Of All Time
2MG had Super '60’s Music

A big 5 stars to 2MG, 2AD, 2DU & 2TM for the music, fantastic, all the music on each of those stations was different too, it wasn’t a network shared log.

2 Likes