Super Radio Network

From Radioinfo:

Back in my old stamping ground: Laws welcomes back 2BS listeners after Caralis sale

“You no longer have to endure shouting any more…”

Last week, very few people inside 2BS knew that this morning John Laws would be heard on air at 9am.

A brief news item about the sale of 2BS and B rock was aired just before the network morning show at 9am, then the Laws theme music began. Instead of regular presenter Ray Hadley, listeners heard John Laws.

Read more at: https://radioinfo.com.au/news/back-my-old-stamping-ground-laws-welcomes-back-2bs-listeners-after-caralis-sale

3 Likes

Because Lawsy is too old to be shouting at anyone. It’s like listening to a withering old fossil.

2 Likes

If one of the Handmaids forgets to wear a skirt to work he gets Aunt Lydia to reprimand her rather than doing the shouting himself.

1 Like

That’s because he IS one.

:rofl:

Is anyone else fearful this is the demise of 2BS and BRock?

Hang in there 2LT and MoveFM. You’re practically the last standing.

1 Like

Is The John Laws Morning Show really like The Handmaid’s Tale behind the scenes?

Yeah, I sadly wouldn’t be surprised if 2BS and B-Rock eventually become as boring and lifeless as any other SRN/BOG regional station.

Hear, hear. We need at least one commercial broadcaster in regional NSW that isn’t SCA, SRN/BOG, Grant, Capital or WIN!

2 Likes

There’s also ACE - with 2AY Albury and 2QN/Edge in Deniliquin but that’s not saying much.

2 Likes

And Breeze, Rebel and Flow are in a handful of areas in NSW.

2 Likes

How long before Phil Cole, GM at 2BS decides the new directives are not for him and he takes his money and runs? Most likely to 2MCE.

Looking forward to hear ‘the 80’s to now’ sting on BRock and all the Newcastle programming.

They won’t need to do much hanging. John is in no hurry to punt 2LT.

2 Likes

Comments on 2BS’s Facebook page, mainly concerning about the loss of Ray Hadley in favour of John Laws. Many who listened to Hadley have switched to either Triple M Central West or 2LT.

3 Likes

From yesterday’s Western Advocate, Bathurst’s local daily newspaper.

5 Likes

How will 2BS listeners feel when they hear Poppy instead of the Continuous Call Team this weekend?

Or eventually when they receive Talk Overnight instead of Luke Bona?

Luke Bona has been heard on B-Rock rather than 2BS, but still, it would be replaced by overnight music on the case of the former station.

People in Bathurst can continue to listen to Luke Bona via 105.1 Triple M from Orange.

1 Like

Was on one night this week when I checked the streaming.

The 80’s to now NEW FM network feed would be quite jarring to that of a whole station with a rock format.

The rock format has been a great choice for Bathurst, they knew the overlap and available signals and programmed accordingly to market a station towards males whereas markets either side are more female focussed.

4AK ran its own format off a local computer instead of the network format when James Yelland was sent up there.

Caralis should consider continuing the automation.

This page appears in google but not via their website:

Shows 4 hour dayshifts with F&W at 5pm, the website shows them on at 3 - 4pm.

2 Likes

The only saviour for Bathurst Broadcasters is if Bill allows Bathurst to run like Newcastle.

As it stands, NewFM does share a playlist with the network, but that’s about it. They are standalone and local right around the clock.

While it’s difficult to say that B-Rock will keep its own music format, so long as it’s making a profit for Bill, there could be a chance it will go untouched (with local jocks remaining).

BUT if I were in charge, I would keep 80’s to Now only for the regionals, and share the rock playlist across Bathurst & Newcastle.

NewFM “rocks” and B-Rock “rocks” format would do well. Bill’s team could learn a lot from Bathurst Broadcasters… but then again, this is Bill Caralis we are talking about.

6 Likes

As could the Camerons from their new acquisition, Hot Tomato.

The level of investment required in attaining and maintaining #1 overall or within the demo.

Always a concern when a business is acquired, how will new owners and their management undo any good work and innovation that has been established?

For some stations, the perceived legacy endures far beyond the actual e.g Allan Wallet on 2RG, the station outside of his shift a shadow of its former self, same with Pricey on 4TO, now Triple M.

Only time will tell what happens to the legacy of Camplin’s era at Bathurst Broadcasters.

4 Likes

Yep.

The downfall of when larger networks buy out independents, is the first thing they notice is there are too many resources put into the one station.

A reduction of staff is highly likely down the track for all Hot Tomato, 2BS and B-Rock.

The real issue is, that you DO need these resources (i.e. dedicated staff) to create a successful station.

4 Likes

Correct on all your points, especially this.

Whilst those making decisions elsewhere perceive that certain roles can be done elsewhere, it dilutes the success the business once had along with the acquired knowledge of the staff in the role/s.

1 Like

That is exactly that I would do. I would keep B-Rock the way it is now and adopt the B-Rock format over to Newcastle and maybe Zoo FM Dubbo and keep the other Regionals the way they are now. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Bona is still on overnight, good.

Straight into first break with a promo for Kennedy Molloy. Bad.

That drive rubbish should’ve been ditched as fast Hadley for Laws.

Run KTM and FW back to back and you’ve covered drive 4 - 6pm.