Super Radio Network

92.9 was running a seperate log Saturday morning but this morning Triple G, 92.9, and Now are all running from the same log.

Onair as FM1047 - no point

2 Likes

So theres a precedence with Grafton, didn’t Tamworth recently roll back to just the frequency as a name (my pet hate) dropping “one fm”? The names one fm and “New1047” were only short lived.

Id have to say from what I’ve heard, I prefer the network log (except for Now fm which is excellent local). I’ve heard both Max Taree and 929 run flat out Top 40 when local before (so I tune out) but then return to 80s to Now after hours. Imo not consistent, they should follow the network clocks but tailor the logs locally.

2 Likes

yeah - they’ve gone back to 92.9 - the new name didnt resonate. They’ve also tinkered with the music choice when on local music log

It’s hard when you’re a solus market with only two commercial services, but in essence the AM (or older service) should really run a 70s to now AC mix and the newer FM service a broad 80s to Now mixture (daytime skew older when younger people are at school etc and go younger at night).

5 Likes

One thing that I have notice with a lot of BOG FM stations is they do have a broad 80’s to Now music format. (Much better then the crap we get down here)

1 Like

Even broader, as well as more listenable, than Grant-owned Wave FM in Wollongong, I’d imagine. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Likely due to Rain fade from the storms in the area… The network goes up to the Satellite in Sydney and is received again at each h station… So if there is moderate to heavy rain in the local area the local station will be affected… If the rain is on Sydney then it will affect the whole network… This issue is been looked into with a IP solution possibly been the answer

2 Likes

Now with SCA rebranding and Grants slowly networking shows and sharing playlists, it is looking like BOG is fast becoming the country’s only true regional radio network where young up and comers can program a station from scratch.

With the changes at 92.9 and Max1073 this could only be the start of things to come at the network.

So long as Bill allows and embraces more of it.

4 Likes

I don’t know who programs the music on Now FM Moree and Real FM in Mudgee, but I take my hat off to them :+1:

1 Like

From what I recall, Saturday morning local programs on the AM network were cancelled in favour of simulcasting networked programming a few years back…around 2013/2014 maybe? Also since taking Kate, Tim & Marty from Nova, local content on the FM stations now ends at 5pm rather than 6pm.

So while credit should be given where it’s due for not broadcasting as much networked programming as other regional radio networks, SRN/BOG still seem to be gradually moving towards more networked programming like SCA, Grant, ACE and pretty much everyone else is.

Ahh Shucks :blush::blush: Hands up for NOW FM Moree (y) PS Last week NOW FM Joined the Network at 12 Noon as Yours Truly had a week off :wink:

3 Likes

So 100.3 doesn’t schedule their own music for their local shifts from 6am - 2pm?

Sunday, nothing is local usually.

They would have to be sent to this to implement.

Nor did the short lived management.

Yes, and looking at the radar, when rain passes through the Northern Rivers, it’s often quite heavy over Goonellabah hence the rain fade.

IP solution would be a saving on satellite costs.

In summer, FM 104.7 and Max used to run to 7pm.

Great deal, Nova and ARN very keen to increase national reach.

Enjoy the week off?

Great discussion all. Good reading.

3 Likes

I get that Nova & ARN want expanded national reach for their content while (I’d guess) local announcers enjoy knocking off work an hour earlier than they used to, so the SRN/BOG FM stations going into networked content from 5pm is great from those perspectives.

But do people prefer those programs over the local content which previously aired until 6pm (and 7pm during Summer in the case of at least two stations)? I’d be rather interested to know.

1 Like

On the same basis they could cut all the local shifts and every announcer gets a holiday!

Unless those hours are made up by more local content elsewhere it’s not a good thing.

3 Likes

Found myself in Grafton this morning for family reasons. I’ve been listening to 104.7 this morning and having a great ol’ toe tapping time.

So far we’ve heard:
October Rain - Screaming Jets
No Aphrodisiac and Thank You - The Whitlams
All Night Long - Lionel Richie

Sounds like and local too (or voicetracked). Either way, I’m impressed! Certainly much nicer on the ear than Poppy on 2GF!

6 Likes

I haven’t been up in the listening area for a while now but by the sound of things, it’s good to hear that FM 1047 still has some amount of locally generated content on weekends.

It’s probably fair to say that Saturday mornings on 2GF have never been the same since Ron Bell’s “Valley Sport” & “60s on Saturday” programs finished up in January 2015 and “Straight Talk with Poppy” was networked everywhere?

Aside from weekday breakfast presented by “Mr Clarence Valley” (Richie Williamson), it seems like 2GF is now little more than 2SM with local breaks most of the time. Sad!

1 Like

And with a de facto FM conversion in the form of 103.9, it can’t be said that interference is reducing the viability of the 2GF program.

Stopped in at the Grafton CBD supermarkets one holiday, undercover car park, same reception of 104.7 as to 103.9.

4 Likes

Hey @gordo92 has 4WK been running the back up tape this evening? Running a very tight play list, and the promos still saying ‘1359 Toowoomba’

Oh well, didn’t stop this reception coming through into Brisbane :+1:

3 Likes

Perfect time to sample what was hopefully a stereo program if it was the backup ‘tape’.

1 Like