Super Radio Network

The FM equivalent has to be NOW-FM. They cover something like at least 1/3 of NSW, going into parts of Southern QLD too.

2 Likes

Though NOW FM doesn’t have great coverage to the south and east…

It struggles in Tamworth.

2 Likes

I Dxed 2BH from Peak Hill this year- in the middle of the day!

1 Like

that would be cause adjustments were made when I was out in Broken Hill… Quick tune of the BE and the audio adjusted from 70% Modulation up to 125% peaks, amazing how much better it works with 55% more mod…

2BH is running to spec power wise, 520w out of the BE up the stick… The extra 20w to account for tuning and coax loss

1 Like

NOW FM’s signal is quite directional (An 8 bay vertical antenna with a reflector shield that kicks the signal North & West of Mt Dowe) North & West the Max ERP is 100kW whilst the spill to the South & East is around 500 Watts. Signal wise it’s alot like Power FM Nowra in that respect

3 Likes

Hmm… I find those maps can be quite misleading.

In the car you can hear it into the QLD border.

Maybe not just the 98.3FM signal.

NOW-FM, Triple G and 92.9 all overlap in most parts of the region.

The maps represent prime signal coverage areas ie. FM stereo with little to no static, even though it’s listenable well beyond that, though you will have some static or just mono reception.

You can even listen to NOW FM in Werris Creek / Quirindi if you want to of course, reception will be pretty ordinary though.

So the maps on the Radio Alive (CRA) website are coverage area/signal strength maps instead of licence area maps?

Max FM Taree is now Max 1073 as of this week - https://max1073.com.au/

3 Likes

There’s still this element with the old logo on there! :wink:

Also, let’s take a moment to be thankful that none of these pitched suggestions became the new Max 1073 logo:
NewMaxFMLogoPitchesSeptember2017

Overall the actual new Max 1073 logo & website looks great, but I personally hope their Clarence Valley sister station will get a new logo soon. I think it’s coming up to three years since the “New 1047” relaunch yet they’re still using the old “FM 104.7” logo which is probably as old as the station like the pink “Max FM 107.3” logo was? :confused:

4 Likes

I like that new logo!

Re: FM 104.7
That won’t happen too soon. We’ve been told to not change a thing. Our logo was developed on MS Word 20 years ago… The “New” has also been dropped.

4 Likes

Interesting to hear.

I wonder when the branding changed back to “FM 104.7”? When I was last in the listening area (March 2017 - so admittedly a while ago), it was still “New 1047” for pretty much everything except one time there were technical difficulties a “FM 104.7” ID was played between songs for what I presume was some form of back-up content.

I was in Grafton today and noticed that the ‘New’ has been dropped, but now refers to itself as being part of the ‘New FM Super Radio Network’.

On a sadder note, it seems the satellite feed at 2LM/ZZZ failed this afternoon. There was only about 1 second of audio getting thru with large amounts of dead air. After a while it switched itself to a local playout of ads and a random weather update, over the top of the snippets of satellite feed.

2 Likes

I am currently in Tamworth and can comment on reception of Now fm and other out of area signals in Tamworth city.

Other then the national signals from Mt Dowe, 97.5 Triple G Gunnedah is the strongest of the out of licence area signals. On the car radio It comes in quite well, full stereo sound with some poor areas of signal. It can be even received on the Pure Move Fm Dab+ Radio with headphones as the antenna.

Now Fm is received in most areas of Tamworth but is weaker then 2GGG.

Power fm Muswellbrook can be received in elevated parts of Tamworth with good LOS to the south but the signal was quite weak to no signal at all.

100.3 Armidale can be received in the elevated areas just to the south of Tamworth but is very weak. In Tamworth itself it cannot be received due to terrain.

Central West Slopes nationals can be received in Tamworth from Mt Cenn Crauich on the car radio.

Oxley Lookout is a great spot for dxing to the south. I could even get very faint Newcastle Fm National signals on the car radio.

92.1 MHz is a mess in Tamworth similar to the issues in Goulburn. With 88.9 community radio and 90.5 Sky Sports Radio deviating onto this frequency.

Lastly 92.9 was running a different music log to Triple G / Now / 100.3 that were running from the same log. On the car radio in Tamworth I would flick between 92.9, Triple G, Triple J, and Power fm.

9 Likes

In December 2016, I had very small traces of 2GZ FM at Moonbi and Kootingal, north of Tamworth.

2 Likes

92.9 and NowFM run local logs each weekday whilst Triple G plays the network feed. This at least means there are three slightly varied stations in the region even though their formats are relatively similar (ie local v network airtime).

1 Like

When I arrived on Friday afternoon, Now and Triple G were running the same log with 92.9 running a different log. It remained this way for most of yesterday too. Heading back to Sydney today so will not be able to comment further.

1 Like

That’s interesting.

So what is the on air ID now?

FM104.7 or just 104.7 (with or without the “point”?)

Probably your typical “local Saturday morning” shift which most regional BOG stations do.