Super Radio Network

That suggests to me that 2TM will be doing more local music shifts and relying less on networked talk out of Sydney or Newcastle?

Big fan of Classic Hits 1287 2TM!

((sorry sorry i’m trying to delete it don’t shame me on facebook))

1 Like

I really hope you’re all sitting down.

This is not an overdue April Fool’s Joke.

Scenic drive along Cudgen Road from the old Pac Highway at Tropical Fruit World intersection over the M1 Cudgen tunnel revealed a strange RDS listing.

FM 103.5, the Radio 97 translator for the south of the coverage area has RDS equipment installed.

Currently, it’s only showing the component name as the station name and the same on the station text.

Alan Bone might get himself back to the site after the Easter holidays and complete the next stage of set up. Might be nice to work on 104.1 next, love to know why you wouldn’t do it first considering the economic mirage that is the Comm Games is looming.

Repeat, this is not a joke, 103.5 is the third known site of the Caralis empire to switch on RDS.

4 Likes

Yes, I’m hoping that this means a roll out of RDS is now well and truly underway across the Super Radio Network.

I’m assuming the 3 you’re referring to are 4WK 95.5 Toowoomba, NEW FM Newcastle and 2MW 103.5 Mullumbimby.

1 Like

I thought Now FM had RDS too?

No Sadly

1 Like

Bummer, thanks Greg!

They’ve installed an Italian for FM 103.5 at Vodafone Site Mudges Quarry Coolamon Scenic Dr (actually in Ocean Shores, not Murwillumbah as listed in the ACMA radcom database):

http://www.waveart.it/FMTransmitters/wave1000

So it displays WAVEART as the station name. Waveart 1000 as the radio text.

ACMA says height of site is 42m and antenna height 30m. Nearmap more precisely calculates 120.6m ASL.

1 Like

Also, like to know why 250w ERP can be heard over bad terrain 30km north and why would you need a TX with 1kW when ERP is one quarter and gain of TX antenna boosts TX output by a few multiples?

Poor Lawsy had a coughing fit just before finishing his show today. He was reading a news item and ,a loose cough came over him, he couldn’t recover before the ad break, so he said, “I can’t continue” and let the ads roll prior to the 30 min highlight package of the week.

Best wishes to him for a return to the radio on Tuesday (NSW public hol Mon).

1 Like

I meant to post this yesterday. I drove through the Radio 97 listening area yesterday afternoon and 103.5 is STILL running the component name as the RDS text

The only other RDS I came across whilst in the Northern Rivers was from Tenterfield.

4 Likes

The speed of progress is blistering :crazy_face:

Did you notice the ‘arc’ of locations that long distance reception of TEN FM with enough signal for RDS is available? From the hills down into Grafton to almost Ballina.

104.3 from Cawongla also seems to reach far beyond its 50 watt sectors along the M1 and surrounding byways.

1 Like

Re TEN FM, I only really spotted that around Maclean.
But that wouldn’t surprise me.

And yes, 2LM on 104.3 gets out really well to the south, I heard that from about Tabbimoble up (same with 103.5). I kind of chuckled to myself when I tuned from 103.5 to 103.9 to 104.3 and all of those were John Laws. I was a bit too far south to hear him on 104.1 from Currumbin as well.

1 Like

Such an efficient use of broadcast spectrum! More of this waste to come it seems.

Funny that. extremely well considering its printed specs.

2 Likes

Why would you turn it off if it has that feature?

Local frequencies and a slide show of station schedule both weekdays and weekends. If you can program by time what text slides display, put up who is the current show.

1 Like

I was in the North Lakes area of Brisbane earlier today, and was surprised to get good in car radio reception of Radio 97 on 972 AM. Strong enough to cause interference to 4WK on 963. Makes the fact that they need a repeater for southern Gold Coast all the more remarkable.

3 Likes

What time of day?

In central suburbs of Brisbane, 972 suffers from a terrible harmonic or similar problem that even the best of AM recievers cannot resolve due to the brute force of local Brisbane stations that add up to the freq of AM 972. Shall try next time over North Lakes way, I usually try to avoid there, traffic is often poor and suburbia there is of a just add water variety of fast food franchises and the like.

AM 963 does not suffer from this as it is not a multiple/exact addition.

Try driving around on the Gold Coast or receiving AM 972 at the northern end of their licence area (Broadbeach/Surfers boundary close to revolving restaurant hotel, Crowne Plaza near Monaco St/Florida Gardens tram stop), it’s less than ideal. FM 104.1 from Elanora covers this area with a good signal for in vehicle/mobile reception, however cheap radios can be swamped by Tamborine signals if LoS is strong westwards.

What FM 104.1 also assists with is reducing selectivity on cheaper radios to receiving 4MMM.

3 Likes

I wrote a snide comment about the whole of the Gold Coast being like you describe above, but then realised you’re referring to an area on the northern side of Brisbane!

2 Likes

It was about 1pm.

1 Like

It equally applies to the Gold Coast, much of it. If you look at the old Albert Shire/GCCC boundary, virtually all built up locations within the former Albert Shire suffer from this low value form of development, cookie cutter rubbish.

Apart from Dreamworld or Movie World, take either of these exits and you enter a parallel world to what is sensible with a bunch of overpriced mega builder brand homes with cheap design and fit out, nauseatingly repetitive lists of franchise businesses (must be lots of fools wasting money buy themselves jobs), two bit private schools that cost a bomb yet are basic but the parents think its fancy and a bunch of blown in residents, most highly transient and all very angry about sitting in constant traffic congestion on inadequate infrastructure, all of their making due to their residency there.

There you go @dxnerd, done it for you.

Now @gordo92, what is the problem that AM 972 suffers from? It’s a combination of what freqs or harmonics?

Thanks, so very much ground wave. Car radio?

1 Like