Super Radio Network

And re frequency spacing… Tamworth is the only sizeabke market I can think of that uses a mix of the spacing for high powered broadcasters assigned to each of Sydney (ie. 88.1 and every 0.8 MHz upwards) for which ONE 92.9 uses, Melbourne (88.3 and every 0.8 MHz upwards) for which 93.9 RN uses, Brisbane (88.5 and every 0.8 MHz upwards) for which 91.7 PNN uses, and finally Adelaide (88.7 and every 0.8 MHz upwards ), for which 103.1 Classic FM uses,

I hope that weird post makes sense ^

^ It was compiled at 1:30am on a belly full of beer and anything else one can drink :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I think what the Today Network used to do (particularly with the blue orb logos) makes a whole lot of sense - have a network wide positioner, like they had with “Today’s Best Music” that a networked DJ can say, with a local station branding sting played going into songs.

Have a consistent design for station logos so that promotional material can be created once at the network level and just have the logo swapped in.

It achieves most of the benefit of a single network name but keeps that localism.

2 Likes

The fact that all Production is up to local individual markets I think this is why some BOG stations have revised their imaging whilst others have not.

2 Likes

Personally I like the fact that the heritage callsigns are still there on AM and each FM station has its own name - gives an impression of localism even if it’s not there all the time. Much better than having 20 Triple Ms and hit stations across a state…

3 Likes

Caralis stations have a great point of difference now. Alongside the other networks surrounding them, each station is uniquely named with individual production identity.

This is what radio should be all about, individual for each market. Radio is to be local and responsive to what’s around it.

It’s amazing how many people here have been indoctrinated by networking and that they think it is best. You’re deluding yourselves and that of a good future for the sector. Networking brings streamlining, centralisation and a loss of jobs and talent development opportunities.

Bill’s tried networking with consistent names when the FM network program ID’d as ‘The Heat’. It was unnecessary and bit the dust thankfully.

I guarantee that bigger budgets can be met with localism and local investment than 15/168 hrs a week of localism.

Look at the difference between Lismore and the Gold Coast. Lismore runs three announcers on ZZZ from 6am - 6pm. For that market and that market alone. Over the range, SEA FM has four hours of local breakfast then dayshift announcers within the market are multitasking network breaks before interstate networking begins at 3pm.

Disappointing @Paul_Covo_Covington that you’re not more enthusiastic to retain local branding, might help the performance of your own job surely?

As for Tamworth frequency sequencing, perhaps the whole area needs a ‘restack’. Both the Mt Dowe signals and that of the smaller sites within each market such as Mt Soma, Armidale and so on.

I believe this should be priority for ACMA over having to deal with the demands of CRA for DAB+ in areas where DRM+ would be better.

2 Likes

Looking at the onefm line up and they’ve got local jocks 6am-4pm.

Amazing effort and no wonder Tamworth seems to be well ahead of other BOG stations. They’re also giving away a new Harley Davidson which too is a big thing.

More BOG FM stations should take note of this 6-4 local window.

2 Likes

Sea FM’s local announcers are 100% local while on air. They have a different announcer for the network feed. The only cross over is that it is the same pool of announcers to cover weekends and relief shifts.

This is what I like about Now FM and some of the other BOG FM stations, they feel local and they cater well for regional Australia, plus they have their own music log suited for that area :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bit of a rough spell for Gem FM Inverell at the moment:

4 Likes

Sophie Tiller (ex. Hit 106.9/NXFM breakfast co-host) has shared a photo on Instagram of what appears to be the New FM studios tagged “2018”. She’s previously said she want to stay in Newcastle, it looks like she’ll be on New FM (or the network feed) next year.

2 Likes

Great story on NBN News tonight about 2GF/NEW1047 Journo + DJ Phil “PK” Kennedy and his new guide dog Wanda http://www.nbnnews.com.au/2017/12/21/christmas-comes-early-for-new-guide-dog-owner/

3 Likes

Listening to KTM on the BOG FM stations and not sure about other networks taking their show, however, it sounds way too prerecorded and produced. Won’t take regional FM listeners long to realise this as they won’t be able to phone in.

1 Like

Have BOG dropped K&J for KTM?

The Hour of Power is now 7-8:30pm, was previously 6-8pm if I recall correctly.
Apparently Caralis still doesn’t know how long an hour is

5 Likes

So do many other stations, there is more content than the one hour.

I’ve never been to a pub that had a one hour long ‘happy hour’.

4 Likes

What brought that on? :thinking:

2 Likes

“1287 2TM Classic Hits which is a classic hits station formally known as 2TM”. I hope no one accidentally refers to it as 2TM.

2 Likes

In regards to 2TM (or “1287 2TM Classic Hits”, if one insists :wink: ) on that Facebook post:

We can’t say much yet, but we are looking very forward to some huge things happening over there in 2018.

I wonder if the above line has something to do with the fact that they’re converting to FM as part of ACMA’s AM-FM conversion program? :thinking:

4 Likes