Super Radio Network

No idea.

I’ve never received ROCCY here in Newcastle (or ROK FM Parkes).
Only occasionally REAL FM Mudgee makes it across the divide to here.

SCA stations fare much better, Wagga and Orange can sometimes be received here, though nothing at all from Dubbo (including ZOO).

1 Like

Any update on the competition to vote for MAXFM Taree’s new logo? Has it been knocked back?

No updates so far on the new logo for Max FM (as far as I can tell anyway), but I really hope they’re going back to the drawing board because those concept designs weren’t great IMO.

1 Like

Neil Marks, the on air glue of 2LM/ZZZ will do his last regular breakfast show on Tuesday morning.

He’s decided enough is enough of the early morning starts and will be assisting a friend’s motorcycle business along with his Lismore City Councillor commitments.

In his decades at the Goonellebah studios, he’s established the station on computer with music library/scheduling, involved in the creation of ZZZ FM, Christmas appeal, numerous floods/natural disasters and much more. He remains an in demand talent for v/o and his voice has long been a mainstay of radio in the area, a distinguished voice.

Going to be a tough ask to find such a versatile replacement who really understands the power of radio and how it can connect a community if done right.

2 Likes

A bit of background - I lived in Young for 12 months on a contract and listened to a fair bit of 2LF and Roccy FM. People seemed to enjoy the Saturday local shows - exactly what a local station_should_ be doing. Until Billy Boy decided to network out of his Fortress of Crap during the weekend, and cancel those shows.

Thankfully the wonderful 2YYY took them up. They may not sound professional, but they did the exact right thing. This is one of my many bug bears with commercial media - you can’t just replicate the same stuff Sydney has. 2LF is not 2GB, or even 2SM, despite Bill’s best efforts. Heck, you could’ve pre-recorded those shows and automated the playout. 2NM does this, I know it for a FACT! (former local sports publicity officer - all my bits for 2NM were recorded Friday arvo).

I know one of you works there, and I wish you all the best, as Young is a lovely place. But I’m giving you my 2c and saying it stunk. Thankfully 2YYY is there doing a grand job of doing what it’s licensed to do - serving the community to which it is licensed to.

2 Likes

That would be me! Young is a great place and we’ll be bringing in some exciting new changes to 2LF in the near future.

I recall Bill saying that about the Grecian marble coming for the ‘new’ 2HD studios. That was over a decade ago, it never happened.

2 Likes

That’s so funny but true, they got as far as buying the house next door & knocking it down, it’s still just a car park.
The DA’s probably expired now too, it’s been so long.

1 Like

oh ye of little faith.

92.9 Tamworth has relaunched today as OneFM. Your guess as to why is as good as mine.

3 Likes

Well, the current ID had kind of lost its lustre I think.

It started out fine as FM92.9 in 1993, then got shortened to 92.9 and then just 92 9 (without a reference to the point).

Odd that they have chosen the same ID used by 2KA when they first went to FM in (I think) 1992.

Because it’s the one commercial FM in town? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

New ONE FM Tamworth page now online

www.onefmtamworth.com

Quite unspectacular looking.

No streaming yet either? I thought 92.9 did?

I belive long term for 2TM to be converted to FM the Tamworth FM radio spectrum will need to be re-aligned meaning 2TTT 92.9 will need to change frequency so they would be bedding in the new name before the entire mess that is FM spectrum in Tamworth is cleaned up

1 Like

I thought the ACMA plan was to try to get HPONs to swap places with the commercial AM station in solus markets?

Which would mean that 2TM may go to FM90.5, and SKY Sports Radio to AM1287.

The only problem I see is that SKY is only 1kw off Bald Hill vs ONE FM’s 20kw off Mt Soma, whether it deemed that 90.5 can’t be operated as per 92.9, time will tell.

But you’re probably right the rebranding of FM92.9 to ONE FM may be due to 2TM possibly moving on the dial, which may impact on 92.9.

Waste of rebrand. The name has absolutely no connection with the frequency, nor the format. Not to mention it doesn’t feature the freq in the logo. Bad idea.

Also the colour scheme is very early 2000’s and that is quite a long URL to type in.

1 Like

The new name and branding completely suck. It seems like these types of things is left completely up to the individual stations and their skeleton staff - is no one at a network level even slightly interested in branding? Same with the inconsistency and lack of quality (and in some case existence) of their websites. I’m guessing there’s no one to care.

Apart from heritage reasons in some areas, there’s really no reason Bill’s FM network can’t have the same branding.

2 Likes

Has anyone actually told Bill yet?

1 Like

The Mt Soma Frequencies are all out of whack and are not on the point 8 Step. 2PNN 91.7, 2TTT 92.9, 2RN 93.9, 2JJJ 94.7 & 2ABC is 103.1 so that’s 3 diffetent .8 steps making it one of the more messy sites for spectrum in the country. My bet 92.9 to 93.1, 2TM 92.3 & 2PNN to 91.5

3 Likes