Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

Think some here are underestimating or forgetting that ‘stunts’ like Sunrise’s USA trip and Today’s Australia trip takes weeks and often months of planning from a logistical and sponsorship POV - it’s far more easier said than done to decide to abandon these trips literally days before they begin. I’m not taking a position one way or another as to whether both trips should have gone ahead - just pointing out something that’s been missing in this discussion.

Also find it hypocritical that some here are criticizing Sunrise about their trip and the appropriateness of it but not saying anything about Today doing the same thing (and this is coming from someone whose been very critical of Michael Pell in the past)

4 Likes

Different program but same network/news department: Around two years ago, Seven News Sydney planned to present their news bulletins live from Gallipoli for a week as part of the whole “100 Years of ANZAC” which was big around that time.

Night 1 of the broadcasts and the weather was lovely in Gallipoli…all while Sydney and NSW was being smashed by a superstorm - one of the city and state’s biggest weather events of 2015! They were deservedly punished in the ratings and forced to present Sydney’s news from the Martin Place studios as usual the next night.

And of course, I agree with Jeffmister. Both Sunrise and Today are just as bad as each other for continuing these weeks of OBs when there are far more pressing issues at home.

1 Like

I didnt say they need to focus on flood coverage. Personally, Im a bit over the flood coverage. However, going on an overseas fling, downing cocktails etc like there’s not a worry in the world, is ordinary. Especially when youre promoting the US when the President is doing his best to ban foreigners. Promote travel to Qld after the rebuild which will lose hundreds of millions of tourism dollars over the next 6mths.

5 Likes

I like the variety, why not have a mix of backgrounds if you can . . . .

Tuesday (04.04.17): Angela Cox is reading the news in the studio this morning with Kochie and Sam live from San Francisco (TBH, it wouldn’t surprise me if Nat is on her way back to cover the QLD/NSW Floods after viewer criticism).

1 Like

Its a mix of things. I quite like OBs from overseas. Mixes things up a bit and are a bit fun. Timing is important but it is difficult to foresee natural disasters and the show needs to adapt to those changes where it can.

Dammed if you do damned if you don’t. Viewers will either respond or they won’t. Traditionally they have responded which is why they keep doing them. If they don’t respond this year then things may change next year.

5 Likes

Whilst I hate Wall to Wall coverage of things, I think sunrise should have put the US trip on hold for even a week. They could have stayed in Sydney and mentioned the floods once all week and it wouldn’t raise much of an eyebrow. It is the idea of fleeing the country to drink cocktails and have the time of your life when 11,000 are homeless that is in ways distasteful. I think that having some sort of effort to help the victims (Operation Sunrise, Sunrise operation bounce back) would of created more viewers as oppose to going overseas. I think Pell just wanted a holiday. Same goes for Today, a trip around Australia would have been much easier to postpone than a trip to the US.

3 Likes

Do you guys understand the planning and on the ground logistics for these broadcasts. Simplistic commentary is a joke

1 Like

Couldn’t give a fuck to be honest. If they feel as though that it is the right thing to do while 11,000 Australians are homeless … then good on them.

1 Like

[quote=“MBB, post:2415, topic:69”]
It’s pretty badly thought through. I don’t see the point of these traveling OB’s especially overseas without any form of reasoning for going. Today is no better, but at least they are helping to try boost the Aussie tourism market.[/quote]
Agreed.

When networks are asking the government for huge cuts in their licensing fees because they are “struggling”, this sort of extravagance leaves a bad taste in the tax payer’s mouth.

1 Like

They rarely incur the costs though. Flight Centre would be paying a packet as would Tourism USA (or whatever it is called). They don’t do these trips to loose money (this i aside from the commentary around whether they should be there or not)

1 Like

I am glad you feel that by them being in oz is going to solve the situation. The role of these shows is communication and insight and even sunrise remotely is providing extensive coverage live from the effected areas

1 Like

But don’t you think it’s weird that they are covering a local disaster remotely from an overseas holiday destination?

1 Like

I don’t think that it will solve the problem at all. I don’t think it comes across good at all that while people are suffering, they are having the time of their lives. I agree with other comments that it’s weird that they are covering it from the other side of the world!

1 Like

In a simplistic perfect world you are probably right but in the commercial world there are many other considerations. In the end revenue and ratings are all that matters

Next stop

Sunrise viewers have decided Sam, Kochie and Eddy will board a flight to the bright lights of Las Vegas.

Meanwhile, Sam Mac and the Sunrise weather crew will head to the largest Alpine lake in the USA, Lake Tahoe. And Beretts will take Sport to Pioneer Saloon, the last saloon standing.

Hawaii > California > Nevada. Sounds like a perfectly organised travel trip to me.

1 Like

They had three locations in the same state viewers could vote for, for example on Thursday viewers can choose between Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio in Texas. Not as random as it’s made out to be.

1 Like

Oh, well that is sensible for them, a little less fun for the audience.

There’s the crunch. What do the ratings reveal?

Last week:

This week:

4 Likes