Sunrise

I think it is a way to make the show feel less Sydney centric. Treat a Sydney story, visually, the same as other cities with the boxes etc.

14 Likes

This. Granted most viewers will already know the show is coming from Sydney but there isn’t any need to rub that in everyone’s face all the time.

This is actually a nice change. Hopefully not just a once off.

4 Likes

When I see the two Matt’s together, it can’t not be a little bit awkward, as Doran was at least on the consideration list to replace Kochie (as WS co-host), I mean he can’t not have been, same for Monique Wright potentially replacing Sam Armytage.

I’ve also wondered whether Seven are trying to move Doran away from his previous ‘crime presenter’ role, held for a long time including at Ten way back to even Sydney crime reporter, Adelaide crime reporter and crime reporter at the Herald Sun in Melbourne in the 2000s. As WS more tabloid and co-hosting often more lighter. This morning he was reporting on a Sydney dog show and doing odd barking noises and all LOL.

1 Like

I don’t think the ruse that Matt was in another place reporting from Sydney was very well done, considering later in the show he was seen with the rest of the team in the studio :smile:

Subsequent reporting on the Sydney drug haul looked like this - perhaps the link failed and Matt stood in for the first report.

4 Likes

But, as Matt is a presenter on the program, it doesn’t detach them from being Sydney-centric. Quite the opposite.

I think it is to localise the story as being Sydney relevant, and not a national story. So, Sydney feels like it’s receiving coverage in the way Brisbane does. You’ll notice they will be putting more guests in front of the harbour too. It’s reactionary to low Sydney numbers.

1 Like

I was waiting for somebody to post a conspiracy theory about Matt and Matt being unable to be in the same studio together. :joy:

2 Likes

He was in the same location an hour earlier and there was no cross during the 6:30am news so I’d say this was the case. They usually have an in-studio reporter each morning anyway who I daresay would be used as back up in the same way - it just happened to be Matt today.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t think he cares, just as Beretts is frequently seemingly overlooked for hosting and like Nat was supposedly when Mel left. I think they just accept that’s the decision, that’s the way tv goes, and move on…

3 Likes

Had trouble staying awake at that time? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

They don’t cross to reporters at 7.20.

Live crosses are split for time. Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane usually top of the hour. Adelaide bottom of the hour.

Do they? I’ve only ever seen Matt.

Mon has a large family, I don’t think she wants to be hosting breakfast TV full time.

They’re grown men, and have been in the game for years. Each know you win some, you lose some. I think Matt Doran actually has a sweet deal as it is now.

Considering 7 doesn’t really have a crime show for him to front (except maybe Spotlight), I’d say it’s a necessity. He did some lighter stories on Sunday Night too.

3 Likes

With all due respect, mate, I think you’re probably reading far too much into this. For all we know, Doran might not have wanted the weekday job. Anyway he’s doubtless on plenty of money as it is, I’m sure he doesn’t need our sympathy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Sunrise at AFL Gather Round in Adelaide

Also as mentioned last week

5 Likes

Don’t be silly, people don’t write those kinds of stories about men!!

1 Like

Matt Doran in studio again today…

5 Likes

Doubting it will happen, but… with Sunrise promoting their OB tomorrow as 5am Adelaide time, wonder if they’ll broadcast live into SA?
They could then do a special SA only half hour at 8.30, before TMS, which presumably is just back in studio…

4 Likes

Great idea! I remember Today doing that previously.

6 Likes

Shirvo keeping up the dag-factor with a bit of Riverdance…

2 Likes

I think it is unlikely that whey would do an SA only half-hour, probably what would happen if it is live is that they would take the national morning news live at 11am (11:30am AEDT), then Adelaide would get it’s own morning news at 11:30am as per usual to get the schedule back on track.

2 Likes

Great idea! But 5.30am = 5am local Adelaide time. It’s just telling the locals to come down when the show starts.

3 Likes