Sunrise

I would personally love to see Mel come back and host with Nat! Failing that I think Musher would be the most suitable

4 Likes

Not necessarily because of one incident. You don’t know what goes on behind the scenes and about the relationships between on-air hosts and producers or other staff. Not everything is revealed when decisions are made.

8 Likes

I called it during the Coronation coverage that Kochie was looking and sounding ready for retirement.

Congrats to Kochie on a great run.

1 Like

I’m expecting Shirvo. Michael Pell positioned Shirvington as Kochie’s successor some time ago. Ultimately a Network decision.

8 Likes

Sam Mac also replaced Shirvo as Sydney Weekender host about six months ago also, which is around the time Kochie was convinced to stay on for six months. Maybe he was told to give it up to focus on coming onto Sunrise.

4 Likes

Shirvo has done pretty well for himself since coming to Seven. About to land arguably their most prized presenting role.

Only thing i’d say regarding Nat, is she has been doing early mornings for almost as long as Kochie. If she does have another decade in her as host, it will be 30 years of early wake ups. Kudos to her if she wants that but id understand if she wanted to give it up a little earlier than that.

5 Likes

This is actually Nat’s 21st year on Sunrise. She started early 2003. Kochie became permanent at the end of 2002.

9 Likes

. New Sunrise host Matt Shirvington to battle it out with Today's Karl Stefanovic in new ratings war | Daily Mail Online

2 Likes

I agree but I think it was the catalyst that found them a better alternative from a viewers perspective. I think Doran is great but i think some viewers dont quite get his style and humour. Shirvo is a little more upfront and relatable.

The good news is Doran works really well with Monique on weekends and helps keep that viewership strong, and they are starting to use him more for weekday features. Plus I’m sure he"ll now return to the position of primary fill-in for Shirvo.

9 Likes

But don’t forget she was also a regular presenter on the show going back to 2000, filling in for Georgie and Mel, and in the 90s to.

3 Likes

Sunrise on WIN :smile:

6 Likes

Oh my God you are kidding me.

There is just no way that Shirvo is ready for a role of this nature. He may be a good presenter (from the very little I’ve seen of him) but he just doesn’t have the experience nor the notoriety at this point in time.

The thing with Nat and even Sam Armytage is they were already household names when they were appointed to the role of female co-host. As such, the viewers were familiar with them so the changes didn’t have as big of an impact as this likely will.

I’ve said further up that I think Michael Usher is the most qualified for the role, followed very closely by Beretts (why couldn’t Shirvo do sport?). This is assuming Seven stays with the male/female cohosting format - Mel or Natarsha Belling would also fit this time slot (and have demonstrated experience in hosting breakfast TV).

10 Likes

I also don’t get why Aussie TV leaves such announcements to very close to the departure - OK, they kept this under wraps but you’d think once things were set (and Koch has seemingly been trying to retire for years) they’d want the viewers to know. OK, sometimes it’s best to have a replacement ready to announce as well but Koch probably deserves a longer goodbye and viewers a bit more time to adjust to him leaving.

3 Likes

Wasn’t Armytage did the same thing

I feel like Mel made her announcement with maybe a month and a bit before her departure? Armytage & Koch was the week before. Odd.

Edit:
Yep, this clip was uploaded 20 June? Mel finished up in August… so a fair bit of time.

4 Likes

I believe not even the crew knew about Kochie leaving until he announced it on TV (or just before). He probably just doesn’t want a big massive fuss made, which is fair enough. He’s not actually leaving Channel 7 outright. He’s going to be seeing out his contract doing finance bits across 7 News.

4 Likes

Disagree. Every single Sunrise viewer would now be well accustomed to Shirvo being Kochies regular replacement. And so actually the smoothest transition would be to go to Shirvo. Anybody else will be an adjustment for the audience and a risk.

Every presenter change Sunrise has done has been seemless. Mel to Sam, Sam to Nat, and Nat to Eddie. Even Sam to Monique. Perhaps less so with Andrew to Basil and Basil to Matt Doran.

Sunrise has barely skipped a beat with those presenter changes. And therefore Shirvo deserves to get the role and it is his to lose.

3 Likes

Friday 2 June:
Beretts hosting with Nat today. Mon reading news. Katie reading sport.

12 Likes

When was the last him Berretts hosted?

Nat joked with Beretts in the opener saying “congratulations” … I presume she’s teasing about taking over from Kochie… and deliberately stirring up the commentators and speculators. :joy:

12 Likes