Sunrise

By selling ads?

O&O stations make money exactly the same way in both countries

You well know that local stations there only really make money when they’re airing local programming and can take all the ad revenue. The networks here take it all anyway whether it’s local or national.

2 Likes

When you say local stations do you mean affiliates?

Because many local stations and affiliates are owned by the parent company / network in the US, just as in Australia

I think the key difference is in Australia networks give much less ad revenue over to local stations news divisions as a % of ad revenue in that market collected compared to the US

US stations whether they are o&O or affiliated - spend a large % of their ad revenue on local news and programming. Because they competitors do and they have to to survive and remain competitive

(I think) in Australia almost all ad revenue collected on the local level (be it Sydney or Canberra) goes to network programming: sports, reality, drama, Us content. They send very little to local Stations for local programming

A station in the US needs to invest in local news around the clock to be competitive.

In Australia that’s not the case.

1 Like

Correct, which is why we don’t have hyper local news outside of the metro capitals.

1 Like

I have to say, that looks very ABC circa 2010.

1 Like

Actually not that many. only a handful in some major networks. The rest are affiliates but part of large networks of affiliates.

2 Likes

27/3/2022 Monique is reading the news this week, with Eddy off. Beretts is back in the studio.

4 Likes

Sorry I know this is the wrong thread, but does anyone know where I may find a gallery for the set used for this?

Weather form Disneyland this week complete with exclusive package deal. Breaking News opener this morning for school shooting in US.

3 Likes

Yep nothing new - Commsec studio also seen in twice daily crosses on Sky News and on 7’s Arvo News in Sydney.

1 Like

Sunrise continues to have regular Qld stories each day, no doubt to improve ratings, but they continue to be negative ones- Qld youth crime, Qld rental crisis, and now today Qld hospital “shame”.
These issues are issues in all states. By all means, if they have reporters in Qld, use them for these stories, but report them as national issues.
I think Qld viewers are turned off by the negative reporting all the time. This has been a pattern since way back when they continually went on and on about border closures during covid.

1 Like

These are the same stories as the 6pm news though… its not exclusively on sunrise. These are the types of headlines you get night after night in Qld.

1 Like

True. But Sunrise never used to be so negative.

Will be able to endless negative stories now there’s only one state without a Labor Govt for them to attack.

1 Like

Friday line-up again

6 Likes

It was interesting reading coverage of Monique Wriight’s difficulties getting a rental property to live at in Sydney. It just highlights the issues associated with the way TV has been centralised in Sydney over the last couple of decades. For anyone starting out in TV now the only likelihood of you getting even a first job or any progression outside Sydney is negligable. It has to be false economy when you need to up staff renumeration for them to have any chance of putting a roof over their head.

Even Channel 7 can’t afford Sydney CBD rents in Martin Place so they are moving to Everleigh.

7 Likes

“Can’t afford” is a stretch. It’s just not viable to operate the studio space when you have a half-empty building 10 mins away (which emptied out after the sale of Pac Mags). The fact they’ve been able to delay the move for so long means there’s clearly not too much interest in the space. The former Lindt Cafe space remains empty as well.

3 Likes

Sam Mac on the cover of Men’s Health.

3 Likes

Easy on the photoshop Christ…

4 Likes

Katie Brown and Tamra Bow both reporting this morning on WS.

4 Likes