Sunrise

Kochie is 66 and will be hanging around for a couple more years. Beretts is 56 and Larry is almost 58. You think it’s a good succession plan to have others close to 60 as backups? They may be looking at retirement soon too.

They need some young blood for the long term like Shirvington and Doran.

7 Likes

Kochie would have been early 40s when he started, you’re right.

2 Likes

Or maybe (hopefully) someone else entirely. You can plan for the long term all you like but that doesn’t mean it will eventuate. You could argue that ‘young blood for the long term’ logic was one of the reasons Samantha replaced Mel but I bet no one thought Kochie and Nat would both outlast her anyway.

I get they need to lock someone in to cover his extra leave but Koch just re-signed. Anything can happen in two years.

2 Likes

I thought the interview was a bit flat… hopefully not an indication of what is to come Sunday night. Ive been waiting 20 years for this reunion!!

The backdrop is so fake, cheap and tacky.

7 Likes

There’d be focus groups and Q scores involved for sure. Not everyone gets Doran’s style and sense of humour. I do and I love it, but I’m not the target demo. My guess is the 35-50 mums see Shirvo as wholesome, charming and just daggy enough to be funny but not quite Kochie daggy.

While I’m sure the Adele thing started this, I dont think it’s still an issue. I think Shirvo just resonates more.

It’d be interesting to see who will be in the next wave. I think Tom Hartley has potential in a few years. Tom Sacre starting to do desk work also puts him in the running down the track.

5 Likes

Nathan Currie copped a drenching after the show today.

2 Likes

Yeah the interview was flat as a tack. Kath seemed like she had taken a sleeping pill. No enthusiasm like usual.

1 Like

I agree but Adele saga aside I still think it should be Matt Doran. He’s got the credentials and experience for the role and comparatively Shirvington is competent but relatively lightweight. I think Today will be more competitive with Sunrise if they choose Shirvo post-Koch.

I would stop watching if Matt Doran was there permanently. I’ve been watching since at least 2002. He’s annoying on Weekend Sunrise. He’d be worse on the main show.

5 Likes

I agree. He’s terrible.

1 Like

so have I, from the Chris Reason/Melissa Doyle days when Sunrise was building its brand. I also vaguely remember the first time Kochie presented in October 2002, when Reaso had to take time off to fight cancer.

2 Likes

I’d prefer Shirvinton over Doran but neither seem like the perfect replacement.

6 Likes

Considered two years ago Basil was being groomed as Kochie’s replacement.

9 Likes

They can go get Tristan MacManus from Studio 10? Lol. Do the unexpected.

No

3 Likes

3 Likes

If they only did 5 years as a transition from the Koch era without putting someone too green in the big chair, they’d still be there longer than quite a few of Today hosts have lasted.

Why is Monique all naturale on the weekday version of Sunrise. Like she’s so good.

3 Likes

What do you mean?

3 Likes