Sunrise

Yes. But still behind in Brisbane which I just don’t get!

The Weekend Sunrise team have really started to mesh well together, a lot more lighter and fun to watch than the weekday team who feel like tired business people.

3 Likes

If Weekend Sunrise had the budget who’d be your pick for sports presenter?

I’d say Matt Carmichael - he has the presenting experience and (to my knowledge) has not had a permanent presenting role on any Seven News bulletin since at least 2013. Though I know he has presented sport on the Morning/Sydney afternoon news a few times.

1 Like

Agreed. Though the weekend show was always a bit more loose and fun even during the Boland years.

Didn’t they try Jude Bolton at one stage in between when Simon Reeve left and then came back? Wasn’t really suitable IMO.

1 Like

I don’t recall that, to be honest. Though they did have Ryan Phelan present sport in the first half of 2015 when Simon Reeve was pre-occupied with It’s Academic and Million Dollar Minute. Reeve returned then the latter show was confirmed to be axed.

Are they legally allowed to have a sports presenter now?

In the lawsuit with Simon Reeve over his exit, 7 said the reason he was let go was because the role was made redundant.

If they added a new presenter could Reeve go after them again?

Yeah I doubt it would ever happen because of the exact reason David mentioned above, but if it did and I was Seven I’d go for former AFL player Kane Cornes, who now works at SEN and Channel 9. His big opinions and him not being afraid to say what he’s thinking has made him a massive player in the AFL media landscape in the last few years. He’d have a lot to offer to sport discussions.

I believe Kane is primarily based in South Australia so he could present sport from outside Adelaide Oval, for example, if it became too difficult to commute to Sydney every weekend.

Redundancies happen all the time, only for businesses to turn around and re-instate roles and positions. They could do it if they wanted to.

3 Likes

I don’t think Simon Reeve would want to return to Weekend Sunrise (or the Seven Network for that matter) given the circumstances in which he left.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. The suggestion was a new sports presenter.

3 Likes

Legally they can reinstate the role if they wanted to. Just because you are made redundant in a role doesn’t mean the company isn’t allowed to create that position again for life.

Ah, all good. I didn’t know the legalities. Thanks! Could be time now to bring someone in.

No worries. I could be wrong but I believe it’s only a 12 month limitation for the employer. But I do know all they would have to do is slightly modify the title and job description anyway and they aren’t in legal strife.

1 Like

Most companies get around it also by just changing the job title, obviously harder to do in this example.

I think the question here is though, do they really need one and what would it add to the show that isn’t already there?

They’ve got a decent enough trio and backup with Tarsh available, and they’re winning.

2 Likes

Shirvo should be weekend sports presenter, and Matt Doran (or even Mon) should be Kochie’s replacement.

The trio does feel ‘off’ though. Maybe only because we are used to seeing a foursome.

1 Like

Monday 18 July -

Brisbane sport reporter Katie Brown is presenting weather from Barron River in Queensland this morning.
Katie is filling in for Sam this week.

Sally Bowrey is presenting news and Entertainment.

5 Likes

Wonder if she’ll do the whole week or if there may be different presenters each day… Robert Irwin has been advertised as being guest weather presenter this week as well.

1 Like