Sunrise

This week:

Eddy and Shirvo hosting, Angie on news, Beretts on sport and James Tobin on weather.

7 Likes

Hopefully the hosts develop some interview skills sometime soon. Allowing Morrison to ramble on uninterrupted and without answering a single question is woeful.

2 Likes

That’s Scomo’s style. He rambles and doesn’t draw a breath, rolling one statement into the next so no one can get a word in, changing subject and avoiding answering the question.
At least Eddy got a dig in at the end about having to pay for RAT tests ourselves.
I’m disappointed no question about Harvey Norman selling RAT tests and who gave them the heads up to order in bulk ahead of time…

2 Likes

6 Likes

Eddy vocal on social media….

but lacked the ooomph on air to really get many answers out of him and hold the government accountable.

2 Likes

Exactly.

1 Like

She’s getting a bit of a grilling about this on Twitter. Bit of a keyboard warrior moment.

1 Like

To Eddy’s credit, the grab of him saying ‘everything can’t be free’ in response to her RAT question is being relayed by a number of outlets tonight. Not that common for Sunrise. So, the essence of her questions were good, just a matter of whether she pushed hard enough to get answers from him.

6 Likes

The other point to remember is that if hosts push politicians too hard, they’ll be reluctant to appear regularly again. So it’s about striking the balance.

1 Like

He’s the PM. Who’s taken his foot off the accelerator when dealing with this pandemic. Hardly a valid argument.

4 Likes

Also, if all journos go hard (which is their job) , he has no other choice but to appear. How else can he get that election exposure he needs?

2 Likes

Limit himself to ‘friendly’ media outlets who won’t give him a hard time yet still provide the required exposure. Wouldn’t be the first nor last politician to do that.

2 Likes

He avoided 7.30 on the ABC tonight because he would’ve guessed he was about to get a well deserved grilling.

Usually the softly softly approach can be the secret weapon of the light weight morning magazine formats. Politicians usually expect an easy grilling but an experienced presenter can get a killer barb in their, which is sometimes more effective at getting information out of politicians than a hard nosed interview.

2 Likes

Still no local news in Qld. Is that the case in WA as well?

1 Like

nope not here either.

3 Likes

He hasn’t appeared on News Breakfast in about six months. I think it was after the aged care vaccination crisis. But that is my point, if the commercial breakfast shows went really hard on him too, he wouldn’t be able to boycott one over the other. He’d have to give in eventually.

I miss Lisa. She’s really good at live political interviews, yet The Project’s format doesn’t really cater for this.

2 Likes

One of my favourite examples from here in the UK of a light weight magazine going in for the kill unexpectedly, just ending with a routine interview with the niceties, thanks for coming in, and P.S. “How on earth do you sleep at night?”.

Kochie in the early days of Sunrise used to tackle them on and call them out on “crap”…
Now he just lets them waffle on and not answer the questions.
Mel was good too.

I actually think Kochie is quite good at putting the pressure on these days.

3 Likes