Sunrise

Who hosts?

Why is it done in Perth then?

The one market where Seven already absolutely dominates. Also one of the smaller markets revenue wise. If any argument could be made where the investment (I question how expensive it really is) is NOT needed, it’s Perth.

People say the time zone - to update national news. But everytime I see Sunrise Perth it’s 100% entirely focused on local Perth news, sport and weather and traffic. And that certainly seems to be their positioning - live and local Perth news. They never tout - live updates on the biggest stories.

1 Like

Who says it is timezone to update national news? It’s a local news insert.

It is the fact that by the time sunrise starts in Perth it is just about finished in Sydney. That’s a very clear and definitive reason for it. There simply is not the same need for it on the east coast.

You could potentially do it in Brisbane, particularly given they need a boost there, and for half the year they are an hour behind.

2 Likes

Many on MS say it exists as Perth is 3 hours behind. But I don’t agree.

So what are you saying is the reason for it? I don’t follow your argument. As you said it’s a local news insert. So if it’s a local news insert - why in Perth and not other markets (where Sunrise struggles)

1 Like

Yep. If Perth with a couple of million can support local news windows during Sunrise, then why can’t the more populated markets of Melbourne, Sydney and South East QLD?

Yes, there’s the time difference between WA and the East but I’m not sure if that justifies the West getting local news windows while our three largest markets (which collectively, make up over half of Australia’s population - with Sydney & Melbourne representing about 20% each) miss out.

As things stand Sunrise absolutely smashes it in Perth, as do most things on Channel Seven. TVW could probably air a test pattern at breakfast and still beat Nine in the ratings. By contrast, Sunrise & Today actually have to spend time, effort and money to gain viewers in Melbourne, Sydney & South East QLD.

It’s either a local news argument or a time difference argument.

But seeing as though the Perth local news inserts seems to be 100% focused on local Perth community news, I can’t see how it is the later (time zone argument)

1 Like

It’s both, it’s a live local news insert. They are not mutually exclusive things.

The need is for live news (not 3 hours old).

The alternative is they do a live national news insert, but that would seem a wasted opportunity. Therefore it is Live & Local.

My guess is because it’s sponsored, it makes commercial sense.

It is not just the time difference, but it’s the lack of WA news - if Sunrise Perth was not to exist, it would be minimal/ non-existent. When you have breaking news occurring (and this does happen quite often) the chances of it ending up in the Morning news at 11:30 are slim and even if it is it’s still 2-3 hours old.

A big example is during the Perth COVID lockdowns, 7 earlier on at times would have to interrupt programming during TMS or National Morning News to show a press conference - they would then return to the morning news after which at times would contradict what was being said in the press conference.

Regardless of Perth ratings, there is need for this and unless you live in WA then it is hard to comprehend and justify reasons why.

The interview took place this morning. It was so long that Sunrise’s Twitter had to split it into eight clips. This was the first clip.
https://twitter.com/sunriseon7/status/1437921320524607488

They could, 7 just choose not to.

Those markets are already heavily serviced by Sunrise so an additional local window to report on a car crash or house fire is resources better used elsewhere.

3 Likes

Don’t forget, you’d have to set up a studio crew for each of those, plus editors, techs, hair and make-up - all for a 3 mins every half hour. The financial burden would be enormous.

Yes, Perth have done it, but they’ve essentially redirected the resources. There’s almost no mention of Perth in the East Coast Sunrise anymore (unless major breaking), because they put it all in their local windows. And they have a sponsor in McCafe, plus Im sure they have higher spot rates because of that selling point of being local.

I don’t see the issue. They have dedicated reporters in each of those cities, call on other 7 resources if needed and all the major stories are covered.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree it’s fantastic for Perth to have this.

But the argument could be made for some or the same (and different reasons too) for SE QLD, Syd, Adelaide and Melbourne too.

Even Tasmania has local news In sunrise

A different view of the set this morning when Kochie and Nat threw to Eddy for a story.

17 Likes

Thats an actual pretty good shot .

I don’t mind seeing local windows in states news on Sunrise I think what they do with Perth is good , it can be done. You already have a breakfast show that is geared towards Sydney centric viewers so it would be nice to see states so their local inserts. However the money behind it would be hefty. I guess the US can do it is probably because of their vast amount affiliate stations around the country

4 Likes

The interview went for over 15(!) minutes. BTW, they had to issue an apology this morning for some of the defamatory things he said, distancing the network from him as a guest. Lol.

Kochie: “We promised nothing was off limits. In hindsight, maybe we should have put a filter on him.”

3 Likes

The evening anchor records one-minute snippets the night before. Don’t think that’s the same thing as staffing up for live bulletins.

3 Likes

Prime7 even did up until a few years ago in their News Updates sub markets. Pre-recorded news updates during Sunrise. It was mostly “safe” material like “today we’re expecting…” Or “X team will play y team tonight”. Not the same thing as live up to the minute news.

2 Likes

On Wednesday’s program in a live interview, Thomas Markle Sr made unfounded allegations, including against Dylan Howard, an Australian journalist now living and working in the US, and Jeff Rayner, a Los Angeles-based photographer.

Seven did not intend for such allegations to be broadcast and has subsequently removed them from all versions of the program.

We would like to apologise to those gentlemen named by Mr Markle that the allegations went to air.

3 Likes

Yes, I see that the Thomas Markle interview has been removed from yesterday’s episode of Sunrise on 7plus.

2 Likes