Sunrise

Agreed at some point it’s not breaking its “developing” and that’s even if there are updates.

I know I’m a broken record but I feel the lack of a ticker honestly could be impacting them.
I remember when the initial 2007 relaunch happened the original graphics were changed because viewers didn’t like the new ones - Boland said that in an interview.
I get that’s a while back, but some people really react to things like that and the fact that’s been ditched and was a point of difference to Today, it could be working against them.
I do think the major focus on Sydney during the show is also hindering the markets they are currently losing. Of course the COVID situation there is quite extreme at the moment but the balance does seem off

6 Likes

Yes Sunrise have always had the ticker and it works well. Surely they could fit in the ticker in the current package?

3 Likes

Sunrise would be silly to do anything radical. As has been stated already there numbers are NOT down drastically, there’s just increased competition. Local inserts is a nice to see but if you’re being realistic is a 5 min segment going to make anyone who isn’t watching already start watching?

3 Likes

Yeah. I think the biggest problem with these breakfast shows is how repetitive their news is. I can never watch them for too long because they just repeat everything every half an hour. Wasting big bucks on local news inserts for each city would do nothing to make me watch more.

But still close and competitive.

During daylight saving…Maybe Qld should start earlier (live) and then have an extra Qld only hour at the end. Today did something similar years ago.
Problem would be the studio space with TMS.

1 Like

Sunrise and Today and all national news shows should be live into Queensland at all times even during DLS. They can even use a local presenter in the Mount Cootha studios for the last hour. Or take the Morning Show live and show a local catchup show later in the day to catch up.

3 Likes

Kochie hosting this morning, not taking his regular day off.

1 Like

In retrospect, perhaps he should have had the day off.

12 Likes

The two monitor & wall sections on the sides make the space feel so small

5 Likes

Perth has local News inserts to feature prominent local news stories that don’t make ir in the national show, bit because of the time difference. They don’t update the national content - the updates are purely local content

Even with local news inserts 95% of the show would still be national - you still hear all The national news

What’s adding local news windows got ro do with graphics?

Agree.

They actually need branded 3 minute local insets every 30 minutes starting at 6:15am running 2-3 minutes

With all the state covid news, weather and some local politicians and interviews etc

Keep the national show national

“Sydney Sunrise”
“Melbourne Sunrise”
“Queensland Sunrise”
“WA Sunrise”
“SA Sunrise”

A branded insert every 30 minutes live and local

Would get them back to #1 in every city

1 Like

As stupid as it would sound to say out loud, the graphics change might’ve turned some people off the show and/or viewers are still adjusting to it. Viewers don’t like change.

By making another major change to the program only a few weeks after the new graphics and desk positioning have begun, you risk alienating more viewers.

2 Likes

Perth has local news hosted by Matt Tinney for many years which has been successful. Local bulletins and weather reports as with NBC Today could work.

1 Like

I seriously doubt this is a reason for the general public to turn off. Not to mention the graphics look the best they have for years.

5 Likes

Graphics don’t affect ratings.

Adding local news for Melbourne & Brisbane is a value added service.

I can’t think Of one person in the 3.6 million viewer TV market of Brisbane / Gold Coast who would wake up and say “oh, they have more live local Queensland news and weather now at a regularly scheduled time, i feel alienated- I will watch less”

2 Likes

Or maybe instead of 60 mins at the end,
do 30mins local news from 7-7.30, resume Sunrise 7.30-8.30 (which would actually be the 8-9 hour), then local news at 8.30 again. Sunrise would need to finish at 9am in Sydney or it would be very messy).

1 Like

I would say the change in graphics package is one of a number of reasons for the turn off. I still don’t understand the removal of the ticker… visually it looks cleaner without it but it served a practical purpose on the show for the viewer for 20 years. So, that change was motivated more by design than what viewers want. The new graphics are also black which is a colour that is very anti-breakfast TV. You also now have certain cities on the titlecards. If someone is only tuning in for a few minutes, why would they want to see the Brisbane skyline when they can’t travel there? Plus, there is more to the Australian landscape than just the east coast capitals. How about some suburban parks and beaches?

It’s less about the design of the graphics, because you’re right, the general public don’t care. It’s more about what it represented, an unnecessary change for a very habitual audience. Since viewers don’t care, what was the need for the change?

Agree with this.

I was very surprised at the black. Really odd choice.

1 Like

There isn’t really a turn off from Sunrise. There is a turn on to Today but without a drop in the Sunrise audience. Assuming that the extra eyeballs from people in lockdown that are preferring Today.

A test will come when daylight savings starts and all breakfast shows usually suffer a significant drop. Will it impact both commercials the same?

8 Likes