Sunrise

Jason raises a good point. While guys may colloquially have come to mean all genders, for many people it’s still a gendered term. In an age of equality and inclusivity, all businesses and especially those with broad influence like media organisations need to examine their use of language to ensure it’s not causing offence. While guys may be on the lesser end of the offensiveness spectrum (compared to IT terminology listed above like whitelist / blacklist), it doesn’t mean it’s not worth doing - especially given it costs nothing to do.

Just because it’s not an issue for you, doesn’t mean it’s not an issue to others.

6 Likes

I’ve also seen some women who don’t like being called “mate” because they think it’s a gender specific word used between males.

But I’ve also seen the argument that this is ridiculous and women also use it to describe their friends and always have used it. In fact, I know a lot if women who do use it. I don’t think we need stop using the term because some in the minority have this opinion.

2 Likes

If you are not part of a minority group then it’s hard to understand how it affects people. Australia unfortunately is very much behind the times in regards to this. As @Cassie84 said it costs nothing to make the change.

3 Likes

So… anyone actually watch the show today… (being the “sunrise” thread)…

6 Likes

It wasn’t a bad program today. Good to see Natasha presenting the news.

3 Likes

Any further discussion on that topic can go in the Gender thread elsewhere on the board.

8 Likes

Natasha suite very well at Seven. She did a good job from what I saw.

3 Likes

Sweet.

1 Like

Is Natasha permanent on Seven’s payroll or is she freelancing?

1 Like

Good convo guys.

1 Like

There’s no way of knowing unless she or Seven made an announcement.

1 Like

I thought someone had left again. Just another debate haha.

3 Likes

She’d be paid per appearance.

1 Like

Then she is a freelancer

1 Like

Eddie and Shrivo hosting. Angie on news, Berrets on sport. No weather presenter and no Nelson.

8 Likes

Well assuming he got the email.

4 Likes

What do you mean? I am just quoting what was said at the weekend.

1 Like

It was a joke. Remember how he supposedly didn’t get the email before the Adele interview. :wink:

2 Likes