Sunrise

Natalie Barr’s tearful tribute to Nathan Templeton

Nat, Shirvo and Edwina paid a tearful tribute to their colleague and beloved Sunrise family member Nathan Templeton on air this morning.

The 44-year-old was walking his dog near the Barwon River on Monday night when he suffered a medical episode.

“It’s been a tough few days for the Sunrise family … with the loss of one of our adored team members, Nathan Templeton, or ‘Tempo’ as he was known to all of us,” Nat said as she introduced a special package featuring some of Nathan’s great TV moments.

“He bought heart, humour and passion to ever story he covered… and connected with so many viewers along the way. He will be so missed by everyone here at Channel 7 and by all of you, our wonderful Sunrise family, watching at home. This morning, we say thank you Tempo, for brightening our lives. We are so fortunate to have known you and worked alongside you.”

Through tears, Nat added: “And Nathan, we know you had a lot more stories to tell and we are really sorry that you can’t tell them. Our hearts go out to your entire family, your two little boys and Kate, and everyone who knew you – inside this building and right across the Seven Network, but also so many of you who have written in and said that you felt like you knew him, because of how he conducted himself on air.”

Video

13 Likes

Did they mention his non-7 career?

Not sure about Sunrise, but the report on 7News Adelaide last night had footage of his time at 10 and Southern Cross.

4 Likes

mods: move if there’s a more appropriate thread, but the lion’s share of discussion on this topic seems to have been centred here

Just to show a glimpse of how far the news of Nathan Templeton’s tragic passing is reaching amongst the wider industry, even those who only worked with him remotely, rarely, a long time ago or now live abroad, have also shared touching tributes:

Andrew Brown (Sports Tonight horse racing and award winning reporter - based in Sydney but regularly went to Flemington to cover the Melb Cup Carnival), made redundant in October 2011 after ST’s axing and now resides in the US:
https://twitter.com/TheBrownAndrew/status/1777876317360562676?t=53wVVUY7C2IY7MnIdJHclQ&s=19

That post was liked by Neil Cordy (also Sydney), was Ten News and Sports Tonight’s Sydney AFL reporter for over a decade and also boundary rider at SCG including Swans 2005 and 2006 Grand Finals. Also made redundant in October 2011 upon ST’s axing.

I also saw a ‘heartbreak’ emoji and post from Kate McGrath (former long-time Ten Melbourne journo and later CoS and then a long period at GTV-9 as CoS).
https://twitter.com/KateMcG6/status/1778007556822298765?t=GHToyMIEq-iVOK5MCVYSOQ&s=19

An emotional post from Alex Johnston (Director of WIN News Tas - previously SC News Tas in the 2000s), worked closely with Templeton, he also re-posted some other tributes:
https://twitter.com/swegen31/status/1777847893610906080?t=STJkA9yhmALutVgw1C9C_Q&s=19

Caty Price (long-time Ten and colleague in Perth at the time):
https://twitter.com/caty_price/status/1777876353502855173?t=YD7ZD_gerqlQ72CbMxtoHQ&s=19

Mark Stevens (his close colleague at HSV from 2012 to 2021):
https://twitter.com/StevoMedia/status/1777849624784670766?t=YD7ZD_gerqlQ72CbMxtoHQ&s=19

I reckon footy talkback radio will briefly mention again on the weekend.

Wonder if ABC’s Offsiders too. Kelli Underwood was a close colleague of Nathan’s at Ten, both also rose to fill-in presenting (as well as Ian Cohen and Roger Oldridge) the sport report on Ten News At Five when Stephen Quartermain, Christi Malthouse or Rob Waters were unavailable around 2010.

edited

I noticed Todd Woodbridge (now firmly contracted to Nine) re-posted 7NewsMelbourne’s story, worked closely with Nathan at the Australian Open for 6 years from 2013, although might’ve been done as there wasn’t another similar from another news service. He has been careful to be loyal (Jim Courier has mentioned Bruce McAvaney on-air at Nine a couple of times before and Woodbridge literally gives nothing). I’m guessing Nine management would look the other way given the circumstances, surely, as rare or a ‘no no’ as it would normally be.

2 Likes

As expected:

3 Likes

Samantha Armytage on the couch this morning:

7 Likes

And she looks SO happy to be there…

1 Like

Thank god it’s not Kochie this time. He’s been appearing on the show too much lately.

Why not both?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Let’s have Mel Doyle on the show too, why not?

3 Likes

Then I look forward to The West Australian’s deep dive into Today and 60 Minutes. :wink:

1 Like

Image from recent Voice judges’ appearance

(credit Channel 7’s The Voice Australia and Sunrise)

4 Likes

Was just going to say that, great cap :joy:

1 Like

It would be great if Sam had a regular fortnightly/monthly spot on Sunrise doing feature stories, speaking to everyday people in the country/on the farm. People forget she’s a very good storyteller and compassionate interviewer.

3 Likes

No thanks. There’s a reason she “left”.

2 Likes

Hmmm, I disagree. I think it might help the ratings having a familiar face pop in every now and then. She might not have many fans on here but I reckon a lot of viewers across a range of demographics quite liked her.

As much as I would like to see that, and yes she has compassion. A lot of people choose to not see that for some reason.

2 Likes

Ah yes, it was everyone else’s fault!!! hilarious!

She was a great newsreader and WS host, then she became weekday host. That wasn’t her best work.

2 Likes

I thought she was great back in the day on WS with A-OK.
I started changing my view of her when she went on Dancing with the Stars and it was all downhill from there. :thinking:

2 Likes

You’d choose Mel over Sam any day for that kind of role, surely…

4 Likes