Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

CONFIRMED: Basil has just over a month left on Weekend Sunrise. They are in the process of finding a new co-host.

The Sunrise team love Matt Doran and he is the obvious replacement. However, you do have to wonder if his Sunday Night commitments prevents him from making permanent appearances on Sunrise. That is likely why he wasn’t given the job in the first place, after AOK left. Unless Sunday Night is axed…

6 Likes

Where is this confirmed?

On the 10 News First Darwin Facebook page probably :wink:

15 Likes

Sunrise YouTube channel has videos from as early as 2007 onwards. I preferred the old Kochie and Mel days

4 Likes

Still no word on a confirmation.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I should clarify (and correct) what I said about the specific timeline of Basil’s time on WS. As @KevinPerry pointed out, contract negotiations are taking place as we speak. As you can appreciate, the commute would be difficult for Basil on a permanent basis. But, Seven is very interested in keeping up his appearances on Sunrise, in some form.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I don’t know how he was doing it for so long.

6PR Morning
Seven News Perth
Weekend Sunrise
AFL Commentary
The Olymics
Commonwealth Games

Flying between Sydney Melbourne and Perth.

10 Likes

Don’t forget his family with young children.

Must take its toll at some point.

10 Likes

He has Telethon commitments in October

1 Like

That being said, he had all of these commitments prior to taking on Weekend Sunrise.

5 Likes

Obviously cannot speak for him, but I probably think he should have sacrificed 7 News or 6PR (even though I wouldn’t want him to leave those)

1 Like

Many people in the industry have sacrificed time with family for their careers, it’s a personal choice and now Basil wants more time obviously with his family in Perth.
His family did make occasional visits to Sydney with him especially earlier this year.

7 Likes

So I guess he shoulda stayed on sunrise and relocated his family to Sydney instead of quitting the only thing in Sydney? The logical thing is what Basil did.

7 Likes

Nelson Aspen is back presenting Entertainment tomorrow morning and most likely for the week.

4 Likes

Agreed. While Basil Zempilas might’ve been a loss for Weekend Sunrise (although I personally never watch the show so don’t really have an opinion either way), it likely would’ve been an even bigger loss for the Western Australian media landscape if he gave up the roles on 6PR Breakfast and presenting Sport on Seven News Perth because from all the reports I’ve heard, Basil is quite a popular personality over there.

6 Likes

Sunrise won Monday breakfast by over 80,000 nationally and in all markets. Wins in Sydney and Brisbane were particularly large; Melbourne was also a solid win.

5 Likes

how much of a solid win for melbourne??

According to the tweet that you shared, Sunrise has won 23 weeks in Melbourne this year to Today’s zero. So, yes.

2 Likes