Seven West Media

So? Seven still have active rights to Disney, as do 10!

1 Like

I agree with @blackbox on his latest podcast. 7 have had a real arrogance and have been complacent for a number of years. Focused too much on being No1 , didn’t innovate during the period and now everything is so tired and not rating that they scrabble to keep face at their position. The latest Sunrise twitter wars are very evident of this and Warner’s axing really shows how bad things are at the network.

I really hope Warbuton will get rid of this toxic arrogant culture within the network.
I really think overall their branding is aged and tired too. The logo is fine, but time to refresh all assets.

8 Likes

sunrise hasnt rated very well since sam armitage became host and they kciked mel out and seeing pell having a twitter war and people seeing this wont see sunrise having ratings like it used to be ie when it used to be 300,000 . I think warbouton should axe pell and get another ep in who wont act like a child and bring back mel and make sam go to sunday night

What? It’s Number One :thinking:

4 Likes

Still Australia’s number one

1 Like

oh your so wrong on every front

not over all it is not. and esp not in every market. yes there are times its a win for sunrise but it is not ever what it used to be. sometimes today takes over in markets where sunrise would always win . People are getting sick of the entertianment breakfast tv and breakfast tv in general.

The tweet that you just shared from Mr Pell does not seem to demonstrate your point

2 Likes

they only won 22 weeks in sydney and brisbane and nothing elese

Only 22 weeks against 1? Quick shut it down now :astonished:

no idont mean shut it down what i mean is that pell cant say any more its australias number 1 breakfast show

He can say it a lot more than his competitors

And his show wins nationally 23 weeks to zero

1 Like

Seven affiliates perform the best regionally if I’m not mistaken, so it’s a reasonable call

3 Likes

The reason Seven West Media are bleeding money is they are skewing old, conservative and backward. As a result of this there is very limited innovation.

Also these breakfast TV EPs are twats.

Hopefully soon enough it and its ilk will disappear from our airwaves for the greater good of society.

5 Likes

Yeah many of Seven’s under-performing shows in metro perform comparatively well in regional.
What comes 2nd or 3rd in its timeslot on Seven in metro or might be considered bad, often comes 1st or is considered good in regional.

(Source: mostly mediaweek morning report and others)

3 Likes

This ties back into my previous comment. It’s generally regions that are older, conservative and backward minded.

3 Likes

I also think it’s like Seven metro in Adelaide and Perth… Market historic loyalty (for whatever reason - old monopoly or local news or talent or local productions like sports or all of the above).

Proven for Seven in nearly every market:

-Queensland: 7QLD
-Southern Nsw and Act: Prime
-Victoria: Prime
-Tasmania: Southern Cross
-Western Australia: Prime

We don’t see measurements for regional SA or NT (so anybody’s guess).

Northern Nsw is the only regional market where Seven doesn’t dominate, though not for lack of effort or trying I’m sure. As it’s still a significant population, big shows have done well there and they produce local news bulletins (in fact Prime said they were now winning news there and it’s station margin isn’t as wide as say Adelaide, Perth, Tasmania or Western Australia?).
I think NRL and NBN’s local news is what lifts Northern Nsw for Nine, historically.

1 Like

Replacing Mel with Sam was seen as a surprising but good decision. (IIRC) up to the week of Mel’s departure Sunrise had won something like 11 weeks of the year and Today 10. Post Mel’s departure, Sunrise won every week for the rest of the year. It was also notable that Sunrise began to dominate in Melbourne for the first time in the second half of 2013. If not for the change, it might have been a 5-city victory for Today, though we’ll never know.

3 Likes

That was a couple of years ago but since then, it’s to my understanding that NBN have caught up to (and perhaps are even beating?) Prime7 on the North Coast to the point that they’ve had to start producing that bulletin live.

In Newcastle & the Hunter though, I’d imagine that just about everyone who watches TV there has NBN/Nine as their first choice - helped of course by the fact that the station has historically been quite lucky when it comes to the NRL (& predecessors) rights: Is there any other television station in Australia which can claim that they’ve always had the rights to show games of the most popular sport in the market which just so happens to include a local team that’s supported almost as if it’s a religion? I don’t think there is.

Potentially unpopular opinion: If Sunrise never replaced Mel with Sam (and presuming that Today still would’ve had their major casting changes over the past couple of years), I actually think Sunrise would’ve become an even more dominant #1 than they are right now.

2 Likes