Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

Other than the Perth bulletin commitment, these other gigs can be done from Sydney

2 Likes

Sunrise has Sydney’s #1 breakfast program? That’s pretty big news in a market which in recent years, has been mostly watching Nine across the board…

9 Likes

Good to see that Melbourne focus is doing wonders for Today

4 Likes

Having a sports presenter report two days a week from Melbourne is really paying off. :man_facepalming:

6 Likes

Seems like Today only cares for its loyal Sydney and Melbourne audiences, the result being that it’s had the opposite effect.

It wasn’t long ago that Today had an average winning margin of at least 50K (or so) in those two cities combined.

By contrast, Sunrise has not had to make any wholesale changes to its team, even when it was losing badly on the East Coast. To run the rule through -

• Kochie has been male co-presenter since October 2002 when he (at first temporarily) replaced Chris Reason who had to leave his role due to a diagnosis of testicular cancer.
  • Samantha Armytage has been in her role since August 2013 when Mel Doyle left to pursue other network opportunities.
  • Natalie Barr has been the newsreader since the role was first established in 2003. That year, I was in my final year of primary school.
  • Beretts has been the sports presenter since the role was first established in mid-2004. Before that, he was sports presenter on Seven News Sydney (he was replaced there by Matthew White). His move from evenings to mornings completed the overhaul of the Seven News Sydney presenting team (Ross Symonds/Ann Sanders/Mark Beretta/Adam Digby in 2003 to Ian Ross/Matthew White/Nuala Hafner in 2004).
  • The only role that has changed frequently is the weather presenting position, first established on 8 September 2003. First it was Grant Denyer (2003-06), then Monique Wright (2007), David Brown (first half of 2008), Fifi Box (2009), Denyer again (2010-12), Eddy (2013-15) and Sam Mac (since 2016).

The city correspondents were first introduced in 2010, coinciding with the graphics/set relaunch.

• Simon Reeve (2010) was the first Sydney reporter, followed by Eddy (2011-12), Gabrielle Boyle (2013), Shaun White (2014-15) and now Jessica Ridley (since 2016)/Samantha Brett (since 2017)/Amber Laidler (since 2019)
  • Nuala Hafner (2010-11) was the first Melbourne correspondent, followed by Nick Etchells (2012-13), Rebecca Maddern (2014-16) and now Nathan Templeton (since 2016)/David Woiwod (since late 2016).
  • Michelle Tapper (2010-16) was the first Queensland correspondent; she was replaced by Bianca Stone in late 2016/early 2017.
  • Amanda Bachmann has been the Adelaide correspondent since it was established in 2010.
9 Likes

Monday 5 August & Tuesday 6 August -

Sam is also presenting Entertainment with Eddy still away.

4 Likes

Beretts was a sports reporter on Seven News Melbourne before moving to Sydney.

4 Likes
2 Likes

There were two reporters in Sydney this morning - Amber Laidler at the Prince of Wales hospital covering the man’s alleged murder of his parents and Cameron Price outside state parliament covering the abortion rally.

1 Like

This strikes me as the Ron Burgundy defence

1 Like

Thursday 8 August -

Nat co-hosting with Kochie.
Angie Asimus is reading news with Nelson Aspen presenting Entertainment this morning.

Friday 9 August -

Nat co-hosting with Kochie and Eddy is back and she is reading News and Entertainment this morning.

5 Likes

Must’ve been a busy week for Cameron Price appearing on the show for three days straight.

The past two days he has been covering the ferocious weather hitting southern Australia (in tandem with David Woiwod).

Samantha Brett covered the anti-abortion rally this morning, also in Sydney.

Bianca Stone is coveting the opening day of Ekka in Brisbane while Nathan Templeton covered the story of the Gold Coast Suns player facing a four-year suspension for testing positive to a banned drug.

2 Likes

Is this detailed description really necessary?

4 Likes

It’s no different to “so and so is presenting today” that floods many topics of the forum.

5 Likes

Great, I can hardly wait for daily Today and Sunrise recaps.

Given MKR and the like have them, I guess this was inevitable.

If there was a special edition of the show, go for it. This just serves no purpose.

Totally agree.

I was piss taking.

I find the “… is presenting today” to be unnecessary too.

4 Likes

Yes, it’s gone from stating the unusual to a description of the minutiae

6 Likes

David Koch had a drink of water on-camera at 7:15. /s

On the other hand, it’s a good tracking method of who’s the talent going up and down at these stations.

3 Likes

But surely not on a daily basis. It’s mainly good, but let’s remember how that spammed the singular ‘ABC News Thread’ so much, Bort has to create the P&R/C&A threads. P&R threads are fantastic, but singular threads can indeed become spammy, who wants sunrise and today threads split because of this.

6 Likes

Monday 12 August -

Nat hosting with Kochie and Eddy presenting News and Entertainment.

3 Likes