Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

Both 7 and 9 have shit weekend host line-ups on their breakfast programs.

1 Like

Why does it have to be someone already in a similar role, or in the 7 stable? It’ll be a little while off yet I would imagine. I also think the shift will be quite big when Kochie leaves, so might be time for a curveball replacement. Whatever or whoever that might look like.

1 Like

It doesn’t have to be, I was just assessing it based on who there is in-house at Seven at the moment. But I agree, I too am not 100% sold on Matt as weekday host. They need to find some big name similar to Kochie who has some personality.

Not to steer the conversation too much into the next era of Sunrise, but in terms of a newsreader when Nat and/or Eddy have left the program, one may think that the gig will be given to Angie Asimus, considering she’s the main fill-in when Nat and Eddy can’t read the news. But considering she’s most likely to replace David Brown on Sydney weather when he retires, I wonder who could get that role then. Another option is to put Sally Bowrey on Sydney’s weather (she’s quite good on weather IMO), and that frees up Angie to become the Sunrise newsreader.

I noticed a couple of format changes on Weekend Sunrise this weekend. Cost cutting going on?

• it appears that ‘Sports Talk’ which airs after the 7:30am news has been dumped, which is a shame, I quite enjoyed it
  • Melbourne reporter Kristy Mayr was reporting inside a studio. No reporters were reporting live on location.

On another note, JT was presenting weather from the studio for the third weekend in a row.

Most likely because it was only the Monday just passed that Simon Reeve officially left the network and that Seven are not (actively) seeking a replacement for him on WS.

2 Likes

I do recall also Monique and Matt would do one day each on the weekend of anchoring the sports talk segment in Simon’s absence.

Perhaps it’s just easier for Sally to read the sports news at that time rather than bring in other people for sports talk.

2 Likes

Don’t let those $ signs get in the way of your #hashtags work experience kid :man_facepalming:

7 Likes

Screenshot_20200831-125638~2 Screenshot_20200831-125703~2

4 Likes

Nat and Beretts are back at the main desk this morning joining Kochie and Sam.

7 Likes

I wonder what they’ll do with Weekend Sunrise since there are only three main hosts?

Or maybe if JT is still presenting weather in the studio he can sit in the ‘sport’ spot, to fill the gap.

2 Likes

They’ve kept the chairs on the News Feed separated out a bit (in the past they were quite close together). I actually prefer the chairs separated out.

On another note, Robert Ovadia appeared on the News Feed this morning so it appears that the Martin Place coronavirus restrictions have been lifted (Ovadia hasn’t been allowed in the newsroom for the past few months).

2 Likes

What on earth was this though? I don’t recall it looking like this back when they were all sitting at the desk pre-covid.

7 Likes

Nat is at the club, what’s the problem?

5 Likes

To keep the distancing, Nat is now sitting on the very edge of the main desk. So, on the far left of the cap is 7 News plasma and they projected the ‘news’ backdrop that they’ve been using up.

I agree it looks awful- way too much blue. Change most of the lighting to white or orange and project the live shot of Martin Place on the plasma. Good to have them all back together on the desk though.

9 Likes

I bet the decision to get them all back at the desk is in response to Today…

6 Likes

Potentially - but probably not. Today have had 3 people at the desk for the entirety of the pandemic. There was a period when Brooke was presenting entertainment from a separate studio but that was for a brief amount of time.

5 Likes

I actually don’t mind the blue in the pic

That could work too

I just mean Sunrise split everyone up. And now what things are easing they have realised they should have everyone at the desk because it’s what today has been doing and viewers are turning on Today. Not that I am saying that’s the reason their ratings are going up, I just mean it seems reactive.

Time to turn the lights out on this thread and move the discussion to a new thread.

Reach up for the Sunrise here

3 Likes