Sunday Night

Another “exclusive” that isn’t. News Corp interviewed British man Colin Powis in September 2018.

2 Likes

DEAD EVIL

Serial killer Ivan Robert Marko Milat is terminally ill, his body ravaged by throat and stomach cancer. For many, his death can’t come soon enough.

Back in the late eighties and early nineties, Ivan Milat tortured and killed seven young backpackers, dumping their bodies in dense bushland. For those crimes, Milat is serving seven consecutive life sentences. But police always suspected there were more victims.

And Milat’s brother Boris agrees.

This is a deeply divided family. A nephew is convinced his uncle Ivan is innocent. Boris claims he’s a psychopath. And then there’s Ivan’s secret love child that he fathered with his brother’s wife.

The horror Milat unleashed in the Belangalo State forest is a stain that will never be erased from the Australian psyche. But to this day he hasn’t confessed, resisting the pleas of police and the families of his victims…

In a major Sunday Night investigation, senior investigative journalist Steve Pennells revisits the terrifying crimes, unearthing new information and identifying more victims. And he speaks with one of the luckiest men alive - a British backpacker who believes he came within seconds of becoming one of Milat’s earliest kills.

This edition of SUNDAY NIGHT: TRUE STORIES hosted by Melissa Doyle airs on Sunday at 8.30pm on Seven and 7plus.

1 Like

When will News write a complaint to SWM. It was on the Daily Telegraph before

Sunday Night producer Lisa Ryan has left Seven, agreeing to take a redundancy payout. Ryan had accused the program’s executive producer Hamish Thompson of harrassment. Thompson is on extended forced leave.

Source: The Sunday Telegraph

1 Like

So I saw True Stories during the week late night. Was this just a repeat with the Sunday Night branding taken off. I’m sure Mel introduced it as just True Stories

lol it is the cheapest show EVER. It is just a repeat of one of the long form stories of Sunday Night. It even has the same titles / intro at the front except the words obviously changed to True Stories. At the end, she even uses the same outro. I’m Melissa Doyle. Thanks for watching and making us part of your… evening!

3 Likes

Are we expecting the axe to fall on this show sometime soon?

1 Like

No, why?

2 Likes

Haven’t the ratings been consistently behind those of 60 Minutes this year?

Either way, I agree that Seven probably won’t completely axe Sunday Night but it wouldn’t overly surprise me if they rebrand it as True Stories.

The ratings have taken a big hit.

It was largely slammed by Media Watch on Monday as well.

It’s credibility was really called into question.

2 Likes

I can totally see it getting “rested” after this year.

2 Likes

Doyle has been put in a similar situation to Grimshaw at Nine, a good journalist fronting a generally rubbish program.

10 Likes

Personally I’d like to see Melissa Doyle return to Seven News Sydney - I’d rather watch her & Usher together than Fergo! :+1:

Or better yet, leave the network entirely to go full time on Smooth 95.3 - a top rating FM station probably deserves her talents far more than a 2nd rate (well, from a Sydney perspective it is anyway) TV news & current affairs organisation.

2 Likes

Except that ACA still rates.

3 Likes

Agree. However, it’ll definitely be replaced with a new current affairs program - can’t see Seven leaving 60 Minutes without a challenger considering SN was actually competitive with it only a few years ago

4 Likes

Is Sunday Night preparing to rebrand as True Stories?

It seemed weird that they added the True Stories suffix for 2019. Now it seems that may be part of a move to transition the flagship current affairs program out of the Sunday timeslot, under the name True Stories.

A 2018 Sunday Night story by Steve Pennels has appeared on 7plus with True Stories branding and a new opener by Melissa Doyle.

Screenshot-20190625-171744-Chrome

https://7plus.com.au/true-stories

And the original Sunday Night version: https://youtu.be/5E8fAw5-gas

3 Likes

You could be right. They’ve been promoting it as Sunday Night True Stories this year.

I always thought it was crazy when they named it Sunday Night because it was limiting them from screening it on another night if need be, or would prevent them from doing spinoff specials

2 Likes

It’s on tonight at 10pm with a repeat of the Micheal Jackson story but the program is just called True Stories so I reckon Tuesday 10pm will probably be where it ends up permanently. It’s a shame, it use to be compelling Sunday night viewing but has lost its way in the last couple of years.

4 Likes

Yeah I just saw that. Sounds like the start if the transition. Recycle some evergreen stories in the slot and see how it goes. Also leads into The Latest.

Sunday Night performed best when it followed the 6pm news, but then 7 decided they wanted that for the MKR strip and SN ended up in this floating timeslot anywhere from 8:30pm to 10:30pm.

2 Likes

Coming up this week.

1 Like