Sunday 2 April 2023

Just shows how dire 7’s situation would be if they didn’t have their news brand and the AFL to prop them up each week.

2 Likes

Thanks for the love bro.

Thats interesting. I only watched it for a few minutes when the celebrities didnt know who each other were. Sounds like it is one of the major criticisms this year and my guess is the audience will lose interest quick.

That ~400k for Fox Sports’ Australian Grand Prix yesterday is enormous, not including GO/NOW or Kayo streaming and being well up YoY the closeness to 10’s numbers is rather telling. I wonder if this is Foxtel’s biggest audience so far in 2023, even eclipsing other national appealing major sport like cricket?

Surprised by Seven News Melbourne’s audience, consideing the one-sided AFL and the peak of the Grand Prix on 10/Foxtel, even just 5k off Nine’s Married finale! I guess this keeps proving the genuine popularity of HSV-7 News again now, not just AFL lead-ins etc. Although GTV-9 had a good showing too.

Married finally hit the magic million, huge share, shame it’s out of survey.

Solid start for Celebrity and it’s new quarter, but we’ve seen much higher for the equivalent in years gone by and I still blame the decision to go against Married, Nine were smart there.

2 Likes

I think that 10 were aware that Nine (or Seven if they had anything) could counterprogram against I’m A Celebrity, but that that would be outweighed by having a full schedule for 4 weeks between the end of Survivor and the start of MasterChef. There are also consequences for Nine in messing with their own schedule as mentioned, they lost last week that was a survey week and I’m A Celebrity put a dent in the reunion episode ratings compared to previous years.

4 Likes

From Nine:

• The 9Network and Channel 9 dominated Sunday viewing with Total People and all key demos
  • MAFS was the No.1 program live streamed yesterday against all broadcasters, recording the highest Live BVOD Audience of the season to date at 165,000 (+3% on last year’s Reunion Part 1)
  • MAFS Reunion Part 1 dominated Sunday night viewing with Total People and all key demos across the 5 City Metro and all metro capital cities
  • MAFS Reunion Part 1 recorded a Live + VOD BVOD Audience of 294,000
  • 60 Minutes was a timeslot winner with Total People and all key demos in Sydney
  • 60 Minutes recorded a Live + VOD BVOD Audience of 71,000 (+102% YoY)
  • 9News Sunday was the preferred news bulletin with Total People and all key demos in Sydney and Brisbane
  • 9News Sunday recorded the highest Live BVOD Audience of the season to date at 65,000
  • Sunday Afternoon NRL recorded a Live BVOD Audience of 29,000 (+45% YoY)

From 10:

Network 10 (10 + 10 Bold + 10 Peach + 10 Shake):

• #2 network in under 50s, 25 to 54s and 16 to 39s.

• Up 47% in 25 to 54s week-on-week, 46% in under 50s and 30% in 16 to 39s.

• 10: #2 channel in under 50s, 25 to 54s and 16 to 39s.

• 10: Up 66% in under 50s week-on-week, 66% in 25 to 54s and 55% in 16 to 39s.

I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! Opening Night:

• #2 show in 16 to 39s, #3 in under 50s and 25 to 54s.

I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! Welcome To The Jungle:

• #2 show in under 50s and 25 to 54s, #3 in 16 to 39s.

2023 Formula 1® Rolex Australian Grand Prix – Race:

• #1 in its timeslot.

2023 Formula 1® Rolex Australian Grand Prix – Post Race:

• #1 in its timeslot in under 50s, 25 to 54s and 16 to 39s.

The Sunday Project 7pm:

• Biggest audience of the year.

Formula one report:

2 Likes

Nine and 10 would be happy with their numbers. Celebrity held up well against the powerhouse MAFS. Numbers should increase over the weeks.

3 Likes

Not for a live TV show they didnt, no.

2 Likes

Much of the show was pre-recorded but only over the past day or so. That’s always the complaint about the celebs too but people still seem to watch it and they’ll never get celebs that make everyone happy.

The last sections of the show were all definitely live - Chris gave all the football results and a few other things to show just how live they were.

2 Likes

No comments on The Project’s ratings today? :cricket:

7 Likes

Serious error of judgement by Seven to not do any first run programming this and next Sunday. Their repeats galore is not going to help their woeful ratings. Why not have something like Spotlight special which is at least Australian first run content.

Oh well I’m sure we’ll hear Warburton and Ross saying ‘We’re winning all the time thanks to our news and sport and we’ve run out of money to do anything else blah blah blah’.

Celebrity does well-ish against MAFS. Maybe one day the latter will die a slow and painful death once the audience have reached peak toxicity in reality TV.

3 Likes

Nine won all markets on Sunday while 10 beat Seven in all markets except Perth. Nine had a good win in all key demos as well with 10 an easy second and Seven uncompetitive more than 10 points behind 10.

3 Likes

Sure, last night was terrible, but I think Seven knew that was going to happen and the programming was of course intentional. Well, TBF, it is the traditional Easter non-ratings (out of survey), whether their rivals also recognise that still or not. As promos have clearly indicated and been on-air for weeks now, Easter Monday (although yes still Easter period) is their ‘D Day’ so to speak launch date. They’ve been relying on the AFL after Idol, including this week with Front Bar, Thursday night, Good Friday twilight (including Good Friday Appeal), Saturday night and Easter Monday lead-in. The real test and judgement will come next week.

2 Likes

10 need to work on celebrity in Sydney, especially compared to the Melbourne numbers.

1 Like

10 will want F1 and the UEFA Champions League as their major international sports rights.

Huge numbers for 10 yesterday with the season premiere of I’m a Celeb a successful lead-out program

1 Like

Your average viewers at home don’t recongise non-ratings, nor care for it. The problem 7 now have is their rivals are programming first-run content in non-ratings, and 7’s old school approach of programming sub-par content in primetime is creating a stink around their brand. To the average viewer, it just looks like 7’s cupboard has nothing worth watching - not something you want to be known for. Less viewers tuning in also makes it harder for them to market their bigger shows post non-ratings.

6 Likes

I agree with you on that.

Celebrity is not the type of show that gains momentum because most of the interest is early and around who is in the jungle.

I’m can’t see any celebrities with great appeal to a Sydney audience. Pete Hellier, some AFL bloke - its very Melbourne focused.

1 Like

Yes, but are we at MS “average viewers” for the purpose of this discussion in-context?

OzTAM’s official 2023 calendar, with the blue shading representing the traditional ‘non-survey’ weeks, I’m presuming they still do this (even though some networks don’t) for ad trading/lower rate purposes with historically significantly lower audiences during these periods, though not always:

(image copyright OzTAM)

3 Likes

By not scheduling new content, Seven are being left behind by their competitors; Nine and 10 both with new content, Seven can’t afford rely on old habits.

It’s not new territory for Seven though to come third on a Sunday night this year. This would be the fourth time I think, only this time it is second to 10 instead of ABC.

1 Like

OzTAM only really recognises “non ratings” weeks as a fairly arbitrary legacy custom. The networks are not obliged to observe those dates, and take the risk that if they do drop the ball during that time that rivals may pounce, and viewers clearly don’t give a rats, regardless.

2 out of 12

2 Likes