Sunday 16 October 2022

It’s not an assumption it’s a fact.

Well less than 300k enjoyed his hosting style actually.

Who else applied for the hosting role?

It doesn’t matter who else applied. Let’s say only 5 people applied and they were all white men. This shows that 10 need to broaden their search for talent.

Maybe there is a lack of opportunities given to people of colour in other areas. Clearly there needs to be money spent and opportunities given in other areas and the industry needs to start investing in this.

If you don’t recognise that most opportunities are given to white males you are part of the problem.

What are 10, 7 and 9 doing to fix this issue? Because they are only contributing to it.

But is it a problem for those it affects? Maybe people who you feel are being excluded or looked over don’t actually care.

A perfect example is for years I thought it was not good to have Australia Day on Jan 26. As a white man I was of the opinion that it was offensive. It wasn’t until I actually spoke to indigenous people and had the conversation that I realised they actually don’t care about the date. Obviously the people I spoke to don’t speak for all indigenous Australians but they insisted the general consensus is that the outrage and cry’s of exclusion are actually mostly coming from white people who just love jumping on the outrage bandwagon.

Again, the above example is my experience only. I can’t speak for anyone else.

3 Likes

It doesn’t matter. There are plenty of stories of people of colour that have had to change their names so they won’t be overlooked for parts. Changed they way they looked so they looked more white so they could get a part. The list goes on. Opportunities have not been given to people of colour for such a long time. And they represent such a huge part of our country.

So oh a few people of colour here and in the public don’t care they aren’t represented. What about the god damn people who are trying to work in the industry and get overlooked because of their skin colour.

And I’m sorry I am going to ignore your comment about Australia Day because it has nothing to do with this.

It’s not being ignored though.

There are actually quite a few people of colour on TV if you look for it.

The cast of The Traitors is as diverse as you can get.

An indigenous woman Brooke, appears daily on Today.

Also Narelda on Studio 10 and the nightly news in Perth.

Jeremy Fernandez presents the flagship news bulletin on weekends.

An Asian Woman Melissa Leong hosts MasterChef.

Tony Armstrong on News B.

Waleed on The Project.

Omar and Oz on The Block.

Aleshia on AGT.

A few examples obviously but it’s definitely not as ignored as it looks from the outset.

3 Likes

People of Colour are still grossly under represented. If you go and list 10 people there are another 100 that aren’t. There are reports on this. And there isn’t enough being done about it. Making excuses for it doesn’t help the situation. Acknowledging it does.

You say the cast of the traitors is as diverse as it gets. I say go watch the mole on Netflix and see which one is more diverse.

Here is an article from a few years ago that gives you a lot of facts

1 Like

So you know all the people who auditioned then? What’s factual about your statement? You simply do not have the evidence to claim any facts mate. Your assuming. Assumptions are not facts last I checked.

Sheesh, scraping the barrel here for responses a bit. Today I learnt that a tv shows success or failure is solely on the host. Format, time slot, contestants, producing have no bearing it seems.

It is fair to say the majority of hosts on TV at the moment are white, that’s factual. But you don’t know how they got the roles and are assuming it’s by default because they are white. Blanket statements don’t move us forward, analysis can, facts can.

You are probably right that fewer opportunities have been given in the past, on the whole, but you can’t claim the host of this show was chosen because he is a generic white male.

Diversity is fantastic, but outrage for outrage sake is not and just because it has happened and can happen, it doesn’t mean everything and every production from now on falls into the same bucket and that we can go around assuming that everytime a white male gets a job, it’s because of color, thats damaging for all races, damaging for progress and continues to put all of us in segmented groups.

If you really want to move forward, people need to be seen as people.

We all bleed red.

Go read the article above if you would like to educate yourself of the racism Australian media has been used to its entirety. The facts are there. It’s just whether or not you want to open your eyes.

You asked me not to make assumptions but not once did I say that. I said networks need to broaden their search. I have said this many many times.

There are other ways to give opportunities as well. No network has listed initiatives for those of colour. Or quotas etc. there are facts that not enough is being done to provide more opportunities to those of colour.

Throw some names out there. The role would obviously have to go to someone with somewhat of a profile and appeal. Who do you think would’ve been a good choice to host?

1 Like

No you are completely confusing my point. That is not what my post is signalling out.

I am not having a go at the host, I am having a go at the opportunities, support and commitment FTA is giving to people of colour. This host just highlights another white man getting a hosting job.

And haven’t you just highlighted the whole point? Not enough people of colour have been given opportunities to think of someone.

No no, where is the data to suggest this casting was just another white male as you’ve mentioned?

You’ve stated in this thread that the host of this show is just another white male and 10 lacked diversity in casting it. You then followed this up with numerous posts regarding diversity… Hence the conversation…

I don’t believe anyone has argued that there shouldn’t be more diversity on screen, and historically it was even worse. At the same time there are fantastic people in very big roles on Aussie TV, which David has pointed out. Ide like to think they are in those roles because they are highly competent, capable people.

But in the context of this thread, the show and the host choice… we simply can’t make broad sweeping statements that it’s just another white male hire like you have said.

Again I didn’t say it was… the data is the fact he is another white male. I am not privy to who applied. Again I have only said 10 need to broaden their casting and provide opportunities for those of colour. This is no just 10 but all networks.

Yes and isn’t he another white male?

Yes I’m sceptical that it is the case that turdall is arguing when we haven’t seen any direct evidence suggesting 10 only auditioned white males to this role. If there were confirmed reports or revelations about this particular show, then criticise away.

As a person of colour I am all for diversity in the media and I welcome it with open arms but it’s kind of difficult to argue the case based on the past.

Yes we did have a problem of this in the past, and the issue was, is and will continue to be wrong and discriminatory, and a lot of our networks are still dinosaurs regarding this matter (hello Seven!) but I’m not sure if we can use history to argue that it is what happened with this show, without knowing what really happened.

I think another urgent problem I’m having with Australian media in general is the need for Australian dramas/shows to always have a British/American feature in it as main cast instead of Australians front and centre. We’ve got plenty of talent that deserves to be celebrated yet we keep importing the yanks and poms to our flagship shows.

4 Likes

I never said they did. But if they did audition people of colour why aren’t they being given opportunities? I do wonder how Beau Ryan got a job over anyone after his first season of the amazing race. And from all reports, and even things hinted by Beau himself, 10 were desperate to give a show to him so he could be part of the network.

And this is a perfect example of the problem. White people speaking out and being outraged about lack of diversity when they don’t even really know if those being allegedly excluded actually care because they don’t speak out themselves. And we all know in this day and age that there are plenty of opportunities for them to speak out and call out the lack of diversity and representation and they don’t. Where are all the people of colour, differing sexual orientation etc? I don’t see any critique from them.

Can agree with that. He’s not even that good.

This was in response to a question from David on how this lacks diversity

Well said.

But that is a fact.

Have you ever thought that people don’t speak out because they are afraid? I can actually tell you right now people have spoken out. Maybe you just aren’t aware of it. Do you not remember waleeds Logie speech? I have a lot of remarks on Q& A as well. It’s very sheltered if you don’t believe people aren’t speaking out about this.