Sunday 16 October 2022

I haven’t watched it yet. So, I can’t comment on how he went. And I have no issue with Rodger at all. I think he is a talent. My issue is 10 were known to be risky. Their choice in hosts of late has been safe. There is no doubting that.

And as for comparing with other networks it is just completely unrelated. We are talking about 10. 7 and 9 have the benefit of their audience enjoying family friendly and safe shows. 10 have always known to be risky and its why their audience choose to watch their shows. They have played it safe for such a long time now and I think that is why viewers have left in droves.

That is great. However, there have been reports that have called for the media to be better. And the media should follow those reports and findings.

I think that is a cop out. And something too many white people say. Who says there aren’t qualified people of colour who are just as qualified or have enough ‘merits’ to do a job. It isn’t about ticking a box. It is about broadening your search for talent.

I disagree. If they were going to play it safe it would have been Dr Chris or Grant. Neither of them would have worked in this format, But if they were playing it safe they would have gone with them as they are a known product. Rodger was an unknown factor in terms of hosting a show for 10. And I think he was perfect.

Are we meant to accept a lesser option, just because they need to be “diverse” in their choices? the cast is diverse, that should be enough IMO.

2 Likes

Who is to say someone of colour would be a lesser option?

True. But it should be on merit, not on background. That was my point.

2 Likes

This is the cop out the likes of Kyle Sandilands use.

1 Like

So we should ignore people’s skills and just go for backgrounds? right.

I didn’t say that, I said networks need to broaden their search.

And for the record this is not an attack on Rodger Corser. I have really enjoyed him telling Australian stories since watching him on McLeoads Daughters. And I would say he is one of my favourite Australian actors. My attack is on the FTA industry and its lack of diversity. The reason for this is clearly the way they hire talent.

When someone says you hire on merit you are implying someone of colour has no merits or qualifications.

As for whether Rodger Corser, Beau Ryan and Jonathan LaPaglia have the skills, merits and qualifications to host a show is questionable anyway. All 3 of these had very little experience hosting a show, if any. Beau Ryan was shocking in his first season and you have to question whether there was much of an audition process. So the argument of merit has to be questioned in this instance anyway.

At least she actually tries to launch some fresh content in Australia, I think it’s unfair to criticise her for this.

10 can’t seem to catch a break.

That being said, who would’ve thought a few years ago that a show with just 257k metro viewers could’ve got you a top 10 spot.

3 Likes

Is it really new fresh content or is it just another reality franchise?

If you look at the description of the show you could mistaken it for a number of shows.

1 Like

I wonder if this show would’ve done better had it premiered on Seven or Nine.

Ten is stupidly on the back foot every Sunday night by giving Nine and Seven a head start with reality. There’s no compelling reason for The Project to run until 7.30. They’ll always have a problem competing because they don’t have good lead ins. The least they can do is start reality at 7 and give these formats a fighting chance.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, with little investment in news and sports (the backbone and spine for any network) 10 will always struggle to launch new entertainment content. Its always going to be an uphill battle for 10.

3 Likes

This is the problem. Right here. And then it’s a flow on effect for the rest of the week. It doesn’t help that their lead in rates so poorly. 10 will never have a chance to compete with the others until they fix their news and sport line ups and have a stronger nightly line up.

Move their entertainment shows back to 7pm on 10. Sunday - Thursday.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good theory to put their reality show on Sunday at 7pm. Problem is it didn’t work in practice when 10 tried it some years ago with MasterChef. Had to quickly move it back to a 7.30pm start.

2 Likes

That was when Home and Away and ACA were strong and solid.

Surely there’s an opening now? Home and Away is in the pits and ACA is about to loose it’s host that’s been there for 17 years. Nows the time for 10 to make a change.

I’m only referring to the time 10 tried MasterChef at 7pm on a Sunday and it dropped audience drastically. 7pm start across the week is an interesting idea though.

2 Likes

The Traitors was so boring and about an hour too long.

10 numbers in Sydney are just dire… every show the Syd market is killing them.

I think you can remove the Sydney part. Their numbers are dire full stop.

3 Likes

Every genre has a tipping point and maybe viewers have finally reached a saturation point for reality shows.

I think this is the problem with a lot of reality shows. People don’t want to commit to endless hours of a new show. A lot of these shows would do better if they were only one hour long.

Your arguments don’t make sense.

The host is not from the same old hosting group that we always see and we really enjoyed his hosting skills and presentation style. It fit the format.

Clearly, so did 10.

You don’t know who was tapped for the part, who auditioned for it, how there performance was, or how the decision was made… so to be concerned that this “another white Male” is a huge assumption on your part.

Maybe… just maybe… They chose the person who fit the product. Pretty straightforward.

3 Likes