Studio 10 (2015-2020)

I agree about the linkage as they are two different issues altogether and KAK implied that if you cared so much about invasion day then you couldn’t possibly care about issues affecting Aboriginal communities.

I’m not going to call KAK names but I didn’t like how instead of talking to Yumi (whom she was debating) she delivered her point straight to the camera. If she wants to do that she could go to Sky News or Studio 10 can give her time to deliver an editorial straight to camera.

Don’t get me wrong, Yumi’s tone was attacking (from the video provided) and she could have been more polite despite her accusation but KAK being not far from just shouting her out and saying whatever she wanted to say straight to camera isn’t good either.

I love KAK but she doesn’t seem to suit a panel show where her views are challenged.

3 Likes

That Twitter video doesn’t show the entire segment. Up until that moment, Yumi had remained reserved and silent. KAK started the discussion (earlier remarking if any of those who had attended the Change the Date rallies are enjoying the day off today). To which Joe added historical dates that supported KAK’s view- Sarah added that he can’t just harp facts at people.

I am not a fan of Yumi, personally, but the fact that she offerred an alternative view point to the discussions today was refreshing. KAK does have a tendency to be overbearring (worked well as a solo host) but isn’t great for a panel show. Today’s debate added spark, which reminded me of the show pre-2018.

4 Likes

The clips don’t actually show the entire discussion. Sarah, Joe and Ajay expressed their opinons at the start of the segment. But once KAK started talking about ‘outback’ communities in a rather hostile manner and Yumi called her racist, Ajay appeared very taken aback and Joe went mute. Sarah attempted to defuse things.

1 Like

but is shouting “you’re a racist” the way to do that?

7 Likes

Yumi has cancelled her scheduled appearance tomorrow, according to a post on instagram

3 Likes

I think today’s comment is completely different to the Brussels sprouts attack. That incident was seen as fued that split up the show’s “family”. Viewers switched off, some in protest. Yumi is not a part of the family and that fact that KAK held strong on her opinion will not be seen as a personal defeat on Kerri-Anne’s behalf or the show’s, more as a victory. The fact that KAK was applauded by the studio audience twice in that segment and Yumi’s comment/views/attacks were gasped at, will only fall in the regular’s favour.

Of course not. But if you completely put the topic of discussion aside and focus solely from a formatting POV (the point of this thread), it is integral to have contrasting views on a panel show. This hasn’t been the case since Ita and Jess’ resignations.

Remember, Jess Rowe called Joe a smart arse on one of their hot topic segments a few years ago. But it was handled a lot more lightly (as Joe wasn’t offended by it). @blackbox , from a producing perspective, do you think the producers encouraged the debate/attack; adding fuel to the fire. Sarah usually controls them more (this hasn’t happened before). Do you think they were telling her not to intervene?

3 Likes

Just reporting she has cancelled sounds like Yumi had a dummy spit when she says she didn’t.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtLVsLtA09F

Because it’s all about her.

7 Likes

Typical millennial response.

3 Likes

That whole post is an epic dummy spit. She isn’t getting the public backing she wanted, so she’s bailing. :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

I didn’t realise millenials were in their mid 40’s…

1 Like

When you’re having a dummy spit but pretending you’re not having a dummy spit. She’s done everyone a favour by doing the bolt.
Amusing she thinks she needs to give the producer the number of James Mathison considering she states he’s been on the show numerous times.

9 Likes

Indeed and the conversation will continue today with former Greens MP Lidia Thorpe and Alice Springs Town Counsellor Jacinta Nampijinpa weighing in on the debate.

2 Likes

And I’m sure the working class hero herself with be there with the intent to listen :roll_eyes:

Tuesday -

Sarah Harris hosting with Kerrie-Anne, Joe and Ajay Rochester on the panel today.

Sarah mentioned at the start of the show that Yumi was scheduled to be on the panel and read out some of Yumi’s instagram post.

1 Like

It’s disappointing that Yumi didn’t come back to answer her critics and provide the other view. It looks like they are going to extend the debate today with two indigenous women with differing views. It does look like she did a runner from the debate now.

4 Likes

Neither of those statements are true.

I managed to catch the exchange yesterday when I got back from Melbourne . KAK needs to do thorough research into aboriginal issues befor she opens her mouth. Australia Day is controversial in itself , I’m definetly one to think Yumi could have handled herself better instead of going down the your racist root. The invasion of this country was not a something aboriginal people who have links to the land (generational) to get over .

Anyway I thought I’d just pop in and say my peace.

1 Like

I think there’s a valid point in that Australian TV is seriously lacking in different voices and representations of what our society actually looks like. Walk around a city or s town, it’s not just white people, and when indigenous people are on screen it’s usually only to talk about indigenous issues. Perhaps there’s a lesson that if you have a show discussing hot button issues having a cast of not just middle aged white people would be a good start.

1 Like

But it can’t be tokenistick. You have to have the right people with the right chemistry.