State/Territory Politics

Didn’t expect that one, has been no speculation or anything floating around about that one that I’ve heard.

1 Like

He was really emotional.

Former Premiers Ted Baillieu (Victoria), Campbell Newman (Queensland) and Barry O’Farrell (NSW) have all been appointed as Officers of the Order of Australia (AO) in this year’s Australia Day honours list. Coincidence?

Three Uniting Church ministers were given honours. Coincidence? Yes. And three Nine employees got honours - Overton, Penfold and McClymont. No conspiracy.

Some are always looking for a conspiracy. :rofl:

There’s no way Newman deserves an AO, among other dubious recipients this year.
This stinks like the sports rorts.

1 Like

The thorn in the flesh of both Liberal-National and Labor governments will continue.

Cue the outrage from Alan Jones in 3…2…1

2 Likes

Nothing against Clover but Sydney City Council isn’t really that big of a deal. Only 200,000 or so live within the city of Sydney. I know there is a certain influence in and above the population itself but it’s a bit overrated in my opinion.

2 Likes

Even after some of the mergers and boundary changes in recent years, there’s still 35 councils serving the 650+ suburbs of the Sydney metropolitan area.

I wouldn’t mind predicting that several Western Sydney LGAs have a larger population than the Sydney City Council area, although you rarely (if ever) hear much about them in the broader Sydney media!

UPDATE: The Blacktown, Canterbury/Bankstown (Central Coast if that one counts), Northern Beaches & Parramatta LGAs all have larger populations than the Sydney City Council area, which has around 240k residents as of 2018. Cumberland Council isn’t too far behind, while the Sutherland Shire, Liverpool, Fairfield & Penrith LGAs are also above 200k.

1 Like

It’s not about the population. It’s about the Central Business District and Sydney as a whole.

Nothing to do with population. Sydney City Council overseas an area that generates over $132 billion for the economy in GDP.

Yes but how much do they really “contol”? I still think their influence is overrated. It’s not like they can dictate too much to companies that are headquartered there apart from collecting their garbage and approving buildings.

Does Sydney City Council have any influence over Qantas or Westpac? Nope.

2 Likes

How do they control or influence ‘Sydney as a whole’?

2 Likes

The business, shopping and entertainment precincts which attract workers, shoppers and people who dine and party in the city every day.

Former Richmond footballer Joel Bowen looks to have been elected to the NT Parliament for the ALP despite a swing against them and the CLP in favour of the new Territory Alliance party. With just two seats out of 25, The future looks bleak for the CLP ahead of elections later in the year.

2 Likes