State/Territory Politics

I hope Victorians aren’t stupid enough to believe Guy’s ‘promises’. He’s about as loveable as a ham sandwich in a synagogue.

Let’s hope election day the government drives the Liberals into obscurity WA style with the way the Opposition are handling themselves. Must be a reason why Dutton hasn’t even been seen in Victoria for campaigning. He probably knows that there is a landslide coming and wants to avoid being associated with that trainwreck.

4 Likes

What happened to Peta Credlin the last two days… She still around?

Be funny if the Liberals lose enough seats that they end up coming third, behind the Greens. Imagine - all that News Corp blood money behind you and you can’t even form opposition.

Another quality Liberal candidate in the Victorian election. As usual crickets from Peta Credlin and Sky News on any of this. Yet there are people here continually cheering for these disgraceful people to take charge in Victoria.

This right here is what these people are. Hate filled and vile humans who want to take the country back to the dark ages.

2 Likes

“But these people are entitled to free speech. We live in a democracy” :crazy_face:

This candidate is a racist prick and that’s the nicest I can put it. What he said is worse than pretty much anything Labor or the Greens have ever done in Victoria.

5 Likes

Yet another alt-right edgelord, someone you’d expect running for the UAP or the LDP rather than the Libs. Extremely embarassing for the VIC Libs, but also an indication they’re so stuck in an echo chamber that they can’t possibly grasp how damaging selecting candidates like this for them is in Melbourne.

3 Likes

Thoughts @FootyKick?

2 Likes

I bet he’s yet another of these dangerous younger Liberal party members that was a member of the Young Libs in his earlier youth. Its crazy to think they let these morons out unchecked

1 Like

Please don’t bait me in like that. It’s unnecessary.

But since you ask, I think it’s disappointing that yet again the Vic Libs are letting themselves down by not vetting candidates properly.

1 Like

He chairs a branch of the party and no doubt has made his stupid views known at some point, not sure you can blame “proper” vetting processes - either there is no vetting or they’re running him on purpose.

5 Likes

Nothing to do with this. He represents the mainstream of the party. This is who they are by and large. They have known these peoples views for a while and they’ve let it go. The extreme right wing Christian church that has infiltrated the party is also where they want to head in terms of policy position.

Vic Nationals really need to consider whether affiliating with the increasingly hard-right Liberals is good for their brand. Wouldn’t be surprised if the coalition agreement is torn up (again) after another election loss.

2 Likes

It seems to be a pattern with Young Liberals. Remember schoolies-gate in 2019? Though those boys did at least get kicked out of the LNP - I daresay only because it was publicised. (One of them has since joined One Nation :nauseated_face:)

Look, I don’t hate the idea of the LNP. I don’t care for them at all (at least in their current incarnation), but I obviously see the need and place for a centre-right party. But it needs to be a mainstream party, not the cooker-fest it seems to be rapidly devolving into. Maybe if more teals get elected, they can form a party (of sorts) that could challenge the Coalition. Sort of how the Greens currently see themselves up against Labor.

they learn it in student politics. I was in stupol when i was in uni and going against the LNP aligned (and funded) groups was painful. we had urine filled water bombs thrown at us, we had people coming in from other uni’s to cause trouble and steal signs (so they can’t be expelled) - we had one of our campaigners followed by a male and filmed all day, and when she went to the woman’s room for some space they complained she was wearing her campaign shirt in a “non political space”

hell you know you screwed up when the courier mail is running a story against a right leaning group

https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/qut-student-politics-a-farce-elections-not-fair-nor-democratic/news-story/87b781ead804ac2e16b08b85111074dc

(heres a non paywall link)

1 Like

According to the Victorian Electoral Commission’s candidate handbook, when a candidate dies between the close of nominations and 6pm on election day the election is declared “failed”.

It says “a new writ will be issued for a supplementary election in the district”.

Peter Walsh, the leader of the Victorian Nationals, later told reporters he would not comment on how Gilchrist was preselected despite the criminal charges.

“I’m not going to get into a commentary about the issues because I have been specifically asked by his widow to respect their privacy,” he said.

“She’s [got] two young children and she said to me this morning, ‘I’ve had to explain to them that their father will not be coming home’ and she doesn’t want the issues that you’re raising talked about until she’s had some time to talk to her children.”

1 Like

What a ringing endorsement of Mr Guy!

1 Like

Careful throwing stones Jeff.

I will be very interested to hear from all these people in a weeks time. That’s right, will be nothing but crickets.

Liberal supporters need to focus less on Vic and more on NSW. They are finished in Vic. Not so much up north.

1 Like