State/Territory Politics

So a salad sandwich? God he’s an f-wit.

1 Like

Deputy Premier James Merlino has stepped in as Acting Premier this week, while Dan Andrews is in isolation with Covid.

1 Like

and they call the left the perpetually offended.

3 Likes

Victorian Opposition Leader Matthew Guy is also isolating after one of his sons tested positive.
https://twitter.com/MatthewGuyMP/status/1508550341247508481

1 Like

Gutwein says he will remain as Premier until the party elects a new leader later this week. He will also resign as the member for Bass

1 Like

Yep. It’s like Jim Bacon resigning all over again. I think the impact on Gutwein has been much more than he’s let on. Not sure how Tasmania will go now, he has been great throughout the pandemic.

Definitely a shock though. Had no inkling of it.

2 Likes

Except Jim Bacon resigned due to cancer and died not long after that.

He spends one weekend with ScoMo and look what happens :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Sorry, I meant from the point of view of we had a good Premier who quit too early. Despite being opposite parties, both had really got Tassie moving and were getting some optimism and I can’t see anyone else in the party who can continue that unfortunately.

Thankfully for Peter, it doesn’t look like it’s a terminal illness forcing his resignation which was tough to watch for Jim but I do hope that Peter can find time to get back on track, he definitely did sound exhausted and I don’t blame him, I think he’s done some absolutely incredible hours and seemed to certainly not be one of those just sitting there taking home a wage.

2 Likes

Kim Beazley’s four-year term as WA Governor ends in May.

2 Likes

Looks like it’s going to be Jeremy Rockliff as the next Premier which will be good. He seems like a decent bloke who does try his best and has a good rapport with the people although the rumours were that it was going to be him that was resigning the other day when news broke of the important announcement and he hasn’t wanted to be leader in the past and to be honest, I’m not sure how strong he will be for the game of politics at that level which could be interesting but he was the best of the bunch in the party. Looks like there will be a ballot for Deputy on Friday.

Jeremy Rockliff confirmed as next Tasmanian premier, replacing Peter Gutwein - ABC News

Jeremy Rockliff was sworn in as Tasmanian Premier on Friday, and yesterday appointed a nine-member cabinet. Former Nightly News 7 Tasmania presenter Jo Palmer is the newest minister, responsible for primary industries and water, women and disability services.

Wonder how the 2026 comm games will impact the 2026 Victorian election. Will there still be an afterglow of positivity in the state that will ensure the incumbent wins?

How would games held in a different state in any way affect Victoria?

2 Likes

What?

1 Like

The 2026 Victorian election and the 2026 Victoria commonwealth games are both in Victoria.

1 Like

Ironically… :roll_eyes:

I actually thought the 2026 games were in Tasmania for some reason

This Guy wants to be Premier.

3 Likes