Starter Free Media Group

N
No, the community announcements are stand ins, for what I would have hope several years ago, mainly with 2PR FM would have been paid adverts if I went down the commercial route.

Or if going down a non-commercial-community path, these spots would have eventually turned into various interviews, story spots, and other segments produced by handicapped people.

This was going to be the entire goal of 2PR FM, and of recent years, the fresh mix. But with internet radio, and the dead end that it is, my side of the operation is pretty much running in minimum mode. This could still change if the day comes when either an FM or DAB+ frequency becomes available.

As far as the CSAs, these are from my personal collection that has kind of grown over the years from being in radio for the last three decades. They were several tapes and CDs from back then that were digitised, and of recent, WAVs and MP3s that have been added to the collection. Maybe it is one of those weird things, but Iā€™ve been kind of collecting these, like some people collect matchbox cars. They were a tonne of these in the late 80s and early 90s, but most of them have disappeared.

Some of the older campaigns I would love to get a hold of are the old 1986 NSW Road Safety Campaign ā€œTake it Easyā€, and the first ā€œStop, Revive, and Surviveā€ campaigns from 1989 and 1990. Another one that seems to elude me is the reading writing hotline. I think I still have the original tape, promoting Sydney for being the best city to hold the 2000 games. This was a spot sent out to all radio stations at the end of 1992, a year before Sydney was awarded the games. These were the first tapes I got, including a tape promoting the then CES, but that was one that didnā€™t make it to the air, as I believe very much that they ā€œwerenā€™tā€ doing their job.

1 Like

If youā€™re after up-to-date CSAs, I think there are websites that you can download these from.

Thereā€™s a 90s era PSA I have called ā€˜Sheā€™s My Catā€™ā€¦itā€™s played on SWR Inphase very occasionally. Keep up with the 80s and 90s PSAs @anonymousbroadcaster ā€¦it adds to the retro feel of the station.

1 Like

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: Uh, yes, wow, thatā€™s going back. I do have these, both the dog and cat version, but theyā€™re from sixth or seventh generation copies that I did get from SWR when I was there in the early 90s. Theyā€™re funny, but not really suitable to put to air, way too much hiss, and who ever copied themā€™s tape deck azimuth was way way out.

2 Likes

Iā€™d love to hear the canine one!

1 Like

Iā€™ll drop them in for a few weeks, see how they go, havenā€™t played them since the early days of 2PR FM in the late noughties. Just done a sweep out of the CSAs folder last week, removing all the COVID stuff as thatā€™s now pretty much over for the most part.

1 Like

Hey all, just a note that Iā€™m going in to hospital for another surgery session on my eyes, and most probably will be in there for a week, so this will mean that the fresh mix will be off air from Monday 15th May to Sunday 21st of May. This period might be shorter, depending on my recovery, fingers crossed that it will be shorter.

6 Likes

For the next few weeks, the fresh mix dot com will be broadcasting from our Wollongong studios. Reggierocket has gladly taken over the running of the station, until I come out of hospital. :frowning:

3 Likes

Haha! Itā€™s all mine now! ā€¦ But nothing will actually change while Iā€™m in charge.

3 Likes

A special offer for Media Spiers, Iā€™m inviting iOS users to test the new Starter Plus app I am working on.

Version 1.0 is out now on TestFlight with an updating coming soon for text and spelling.

2 Likes

Hay, just letting everybody know with a thousand new tracks (mostly 70s and 80s), added to the fresh mix dot com, today Iā€™ve taken over for giving the playlist a test spin.

Ever since coming out of hospital about three months ago, Iā€™ve mastered and added quite a number of new compilations to the library.

Most of the tracks added have been from the research of old Australian Music Reports. Not from the charts, but from where they list all the new releases each week, much of it thatā€™s never seen the charts. Iā€™ve dug up hundreds of these tracks, which surprisingly have been released digitally through various sources, so yeah, much more unearth retro coming your way. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great I will tune in.

2 Likes

I just download Rd the app. Very nice. I like the interface, I guess CarPlay will come.

3 Likes

The App officially went LIVE on the Apple App Store today,

Starter Plus is officially here, get familiar with Australiaā€™s new home for independent media, Starter Plus.

With the Starter Plus app you will be able to listen to Starter FM, Chill with Starter FM, Starterfm:Bangaz, Hawkesbury Radio plus many more high-quality people curated streams (Not AI), LIVE and FREE 24/7.

Download the app today:

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been listening to the Fresh Mix today. Loving it!

4 Likes

@TheChase I wonder if we can the fresh mix on iheart like Starter FM is :slight_smile: . The app is great but it would be good to have Carplay and Android Auto support. Understand you are not a commercial station or even a community station so it isnā€™t a criticism. :slight_smile:

its a great internet station @anonymousbroadcaster .

2 Likes

Getting things onto iHeartRadio can be a bit difficult, as they base the stations they list on if the station has a analog FM/AM/DAB frequency (Which Starter FM and Hawkesbury Radio had at the time of listing).

I know there are stations listed on there that are online only, but they have some kind of deal they have managed to get to have them on there.

Itā€™s not out of the question just hard.

Carplay should come soon, its just got a bug in the code, keep an eye out on a future update.

And I am starting work on an Android app, just a bit harder as everything is done by me so I am learning the code as I go.

It is, an awesome addition to the Starter Family.

3 Likes

Hi @TheChase just an fyi my starter app has expired, I got other ways to listen so no worries.

1 Like

Itā€™s now in the App Store, redownload it from there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

2 Likes