Stan Sport

It was already $15 when I resubscribed last month.

1 Like

Meh, when you give me ad free coverage of every court of the slams, I’ll pay the $15. Worth it for me.

4 Likes

50% price increase with zero additional content isnt a good look. They didnt even bother being sneaky and put it up $2 now, due to “increased operating costs” and the rest in six months.

Maybe they knew people like me arent going to cancel just as the rugby season is starting

2 Likes

It’s good value as I have Rugby and Grand Slam Tennis on one platform

1 Like

Isn’t the grand slam coverage already like this?

1 Like

Yeah, thats why i’m happy paying the 15

Terrible value as I only want it for European Soccer, Champions League and Europa League.

1 Like

I was finding it hard to justify with the level of content on Stan Sports that was of interest to me - this will probably see me ditch it.

2 Likes

Stan’s four sporting cornerstones are Rugby, Tennis, Motorsport and Football, all with passionate but slightly niche audiences.

Feel like Stan is missing a trick by not offering Sports on their own e.g.
$5-6 p/m for Rugby
$5-6 p/m for Tennis
$5-6 p/m for Motorsport
$5-6 p/m for Football
or $15 p/m for the lot as it is now.

Also think they should offer standalone sport with a smaller extra fee, say Basic for $5, Standard for $11 and Premium for $16 (on top of the $15) or something similar.

2 Likes

You can cancel any time. I only use it for 4-5 months of the year for the slams

1 Like

With the exception of the Australian Open, however that’s also extensively aired across Nine broadcast and free streaming on 9Now, which I guess diminishes this argument.

1 Like

Stan Sport will stream the 2023 Bathurst 6 Hour event live from Mount Panorama this weekend.

1 Like

Stan Sport seems set to retain the UEFA Champions League, though not before Paramount tried to steal it, as per CODE Sports. Article is behind a paywall, but in brief:

As late as last week, Paramount were ‘frontrunners’ to gain rights and Stan had presumed they had missed out. UEFA then asked both parties to bid again as the two bids were very close financially; which is when Stan came out on top.

Link for those with access:

https://www.codesports.com.au/football/uefa-champions-league-broadcast-rights-in-australia-were-expected-to-move-to-paramount-until-a-late-twist-this-week/news-story/776cffb1f3ffbe333636ccc149c10482

Turns out there are at least three certainties in life: the sun rising tomorrow morning, taxes, and Paramount AU losing another bid for a sports property… :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Paramount+ always seems to be missing these opportunities for major sports. First EPL now losing a chance at UEFA.

1 Like

Massive loss. Synergy with US operations could have ensued. Disappointing.

1 Like

Stan does not really need soccer, as it is well catered for by other platforms. Unless it is keeping the UEFA competitions because it considers that rugby union and motorsport are not mainstream enough.

2 Likes

I thought it would be on Optus Sport or Paramount

1 Like

Yes it does as it wants to keep round ball customers subscribed.

It it silly to lock yourself into one sport. You are putting a limit on subscribers.

It might not be great for football fans but at least they can watch it in 4k and use basic streaming features such as live pause/catch up etc.

8 Likes

As I’ve mentioned in the International Sports Broadcasting thread before, the CBS team are brilliant. Knowledgeable, high profile analysts who know their stuff, and with a chemistry that rivals TNT’s Inside The NBA team. In that way, it’s a shame that we miss out on seeing that (Mind you, do wonder if P+ here would’ve done their own studio shows or just taken a world feed).

It’s good that it’s staying with Stan in a way, because it seems to be the most stable and stress-free platform to use in Australia for streaming live sport currently - P+ has been horrible (though it seems to have improved recently), Kayo has been very glitchy, and for myself at least; Optus Sport’s picture quality is unwatchable when no other app has issues like that (and still no 1080p option).

3 Likes

P+ would’ve taken their parent company and CBS sports feed.

They take a world feed for the FA Cup coverage with no commercials.

1 Like