Stan Sport

Stan snapping up sport left right and centre giving them a fairly decent range, even if they’re not top tier which obviously aren’t available.

Am impressed with how they’ve been able to scale this offering to date and provide a fairly solid platform and experience so far.

I can see them being a real competitor moving forward.

1 Like

If they get the Premier League, NFL, and F1 they would have the all the second tier sports

1 Like

If Stan Sport get the F1 rights, it could create an awkward situation at the Australian Grand Prix with the Supercars qualifiers and races, as Fox Sports will still have the main Supercars broadcast rights.

2 Likes

I just hope subscribers increase in pace with investments in new sport so their isn’t any price increases any time soon

2 Likes

Makes me wonder if it is to the detriment of/to their non sport content . Spending big on sport ? but not on licensed content .

1 Like

I would argue that diversifying into sports is a good insurance policy for long term viability.

A lot of the licenced content comes from American studios which are all wanting a slice of the streaming pie and launching their own services (such as Disney+ and Paramount+ here, and other examples such as Peacock and HBO Max overseas), which is squeezing out even big global players such as Netflix and Amazon Prime, as well as local streaming services such as Stan as well.

2 Likes

i was actully unimpressed watching the Reds - Rebels game at times, for example at one point Qld went for a conversion and instead of showing the ball going towards the post, they kept it on the kicker. now i like to see a reaction at the best of times, but only if i can see the ball going in

2 Likes

Stan Sport’s coverage of Turf War begins at 6pm AEDT with undercard bouts

EDIT 23/3: the card for tonight

2 Likes
2 Likes

Good on them, give the Football (soccer) back to someone who will look after it and not charge a “fortune” to watch it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Not a fortune…

2 Likes

Stan really needs a domestic European football league to add some value to it. Like you I would watch Champions league if freely available but can not justify $20 a month for only mid week games when I will only catch the tail end of games before work. Having something like Bundesliga or Dutch Eredivisie would at least make me consider it. At least they are adding some more sports now but still not enough of what I want to make me consider it.

3 Likes

Maybe not for you but on a fixed income like I am they charge far too much and have a crap presenting team.

1 Like

Actually $24, $20 for a crappy SD picture. Not a fan of Stan. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Too much to pay and then being forced to watch Craig Foster and Mark Bosnich pontificate on matches. Two of the biggest egos in sports commentating!

Stan general offering is in SD for $20 but sport is HD regardless. If your only getting it for sport their is no reason to pay any extra

3 Likes

Not really to going to get it much cheaper elsewhere…

Soccer fans easily affected the most by fragmentation of sports rights.

A big reason I was delighted with F1 staying with Fox/Kayo.

4 Likes

F1, MotoGP, NASCAR and Supercars are with Foxtel while Stan has WRC, WEC, IndyCar and SpeedSeries

1 Like

That’s debatable. I get the A League and much better content from Paramount+ $7.50 per month (yearly rate), Optus Sport comes with my mobile plan and Kayo for $15 (special offer from Telstra). All of which is less than Stan’s $24.

2 Likes

Amazing of either Optus or Telstra to offer non-customers special offer discounts. Unless of course you have two plans