Stan Sport

They need F1 and/or EPL to be considered a serious challenger. After that, 3 year wait for next big ticket item to snatch from Fox. Cricket 24/25. AFL 25.

3 Likes

Stan Sport currently have

Rugby
Super Rugby
Rugby championship
Super W
Internationals
NPC
Hospital Cup
Shute Shield
Japanese Top League
English Premiership

Tennis
US Open
Wimbledon
Roland Garros
Laver Cup
Davis Cup
Billie Jean King Cup

Football
UEFA champions league
UEFA Europa League
UEFA Conference League

2 Likes

Stan Sport also has United Rugby Championship I believe. It features 16 teams from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Italy and South Africa.

2 Likes

There were reports a few weeks ago that Fox has hung on to the F1 rights for a few more years. Nothing official though.

Premier League will be the crucial one though, Optus Sport might have a chance of survival if they can retain the rights but if they go to Stan (or alternatively P+ or Fox) I’d say that would be about enough for them to close it down- which would be one challenger less to worry about for Stan.

Was that not MotoGP, as I heard diddly squat about the F1 rights on the news, and online. Maybe it is out there but I just can’t seem to put my finger on it.

Will Ten still be involved according to the reports?

1 Like

Yes, MotoGP was confirmed a few weeks ago.

Found it- it was an article in The Age.

Live sports content is also highly competitive. Foxtel recently fought off Stan to strike a new multi-year deal for Formula One racing that will cost it about $40 million a year, according to multiple sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Nothing on Ten was reported, unfortunately.

1 Like

thanks for the link. It must be like MotoGP where it is yet to be determined who has the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne.

That is disappointing that its already been sorted.

2 Likes

Both F1 and MotoGP are still with Fox Sports and Nine lost Netball this year

1 Like

Yep. Could get real awkward for Optus losing EPL. They do have the Womens World Cup but hard to see a business case losing EPL. Hard to see them losing it with $$$ saved from losing Champions League tho.

Stan/Nine would have to go well over the $33 mil annual for SANZAAR to be in the hunt.

Must be close to an announcement.

3 Likes

Was anyone surprised by the amount of French Open and Wimbledon they offered on free to air this past year?

As a casual tennis fan, was no need to add Sport to my Stan sub.

Will future years see the first week atleast being exclusive to Stan?

2 Likes

they could show limited on Nine, with it being the best games over on Stan in full and Nine showing partially of the big matches. Similar to the Wimbledon deal on 7 when they use to have it. With 7 picking the best matches of the days play.

Called it!

2 Likes

Still too expensive, only interested in Champions League. No interest in rugby or tennis. Need to separate Stan and Stan sport. They’d most likely make more money too. Hope Paramount+ eventually get the EPL!

Plus the Super Cup.

1 Like

I’d suggest that Nine make more money offering Stan Sport as an add-on, hence it exists as an add-on.

2 Likes

Exactly because it forces people to subscribe to Stan to get it whereas most people who subscribe to Stan Sport probably wouldn’t get Stan if they didn’t have to

2 Likes

And how many more subscribers could they get if they had it as a separate product? IMO there are probably a lot out there that currently refusing to sign up because of the current process.

3 Likes

I don’t think they would sell a sports only package for only $10. So you have to think how much would they charge. $20 is too much and $15 means some current Stan and Sport subscribers would get rid of Stan, which means will the loss of stan subscribers be outweighed by the influx of just sport subscribers

The way they have it now with a minimum $20 entry for both stan and sport is probably the best way to do it. I would rather just have the sport myself, but I can see where Stan is coming from by bundling it together

2 Likes

It’s kind of the traditional pay TV model to pay for the basic channels then things like sport you pay for on top, but you need the basics first.

1 Like

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Stan Sport spin off a sport only package in the future but their research has probably told them that for now they don’t have the content to justify it or the subscriber base to make it work as a sole venture.

5 Likes