Stan Sport

Assuming Stan get the upcoming F1 rights, I think it will stream the warmups, qualifiers and the main race, similar to Fox Sports’ current coverage. Nine will air a selection of races live including Australia

The Australian F1 Grand Prix will be very interesting as it will clash with Sunday afternoon NRL. Will F1 be shown live on 9Gem in NSW and Queensland?

1 Like

Ok, Stupid question but do the current Australian Open Broadcast rights for Stan also include the Men’s and Women’s finals? Or is nine going to have it exclusively on the main channel and 9now?

Both the men’s and women’s finals will be on Stan Sport

2 Likes

I haven’t been watching much of the Australian Open, but is there any difference between 9Now and Stan coverage other than ads?

1 Like

Use of world feed commentators and coverage. And then better quality stream. It’s been great for the tennis nerd like me

3 Likes

STAN ADDS FIA FORMULA E WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TO MOTORSPORT OFFERING

• Stan Sport has added even more world-class Motorsport action with a new agreement securing exclusive live coverage of every round of the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship

• Stan Sport is the new home of Formula E in Australia featuring live action of races and qualifying plus highlights coverage.

• Highlights after every round will be shown on the 9Network.

Stan Sport and Formula E today announced a new and exclusive multi-year agreement for the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship with all sixteen rounds of Season 8 streaming ad-free, live and on demand on Stan Sport plus highlights of every race airing on the 9Network .

The biggest-ever 16 race calendar for the all-electric ABB FIA Formula E World Championship opens this week on January 28 and 29 with the first two races of the series on the most technically-challenging track around the walls of the historic UNESCO World Heritage Site in Diriyah, Saudi Arabia. The Championship continues in iconic city centres around the world including Mexico City, Rome, Monaco, Berlin, New York and London and for the first time ever Vancouver, Jakarta and Seoul.

Stan Sport will become the home of Formula E in Australia, the only place where fans can enjoy ad-free, live and on demand coverage of Season 8 of the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship. Stan Sport will also offer fans live coverage of the all-new qualifying format where drivers compete head-to-head for pole position in knockout Duels. More sports fans in Australia will get the chance to enjoy the action-packed, unpredictable racing with highlights from every round shown on the 9Network.

Stan Sport will follow all the action live as the 22 drivers from 11 teams compete for the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship title. Reigning Teams’ World Champions Mercedes-EQ will once again have an incredibly strong line-up, retaining both Nyck de Vries (Netherlands) and Stoffel Vandoorne (Belgium). Nissan e.dams will be led by Swiss driver Sebastian Buemi , who boasts a highly decorated Formula E and Formula 1 career alongside his three 24 Hours of Le Mans victories. For the TAG Heuer Porsche Formula E Team , Andre Lotterer is joined again by Pascal Wehrlein , forming a formidable all-German lineup.

The ABB FIA Formula E World Championship is Stan Sport’s newest addition to its growing Motorsport line-up having recently secured the exclusive rights to every race of the 2022 INDYCAR , World Rally Championship and World Endurance Championship season.

Stan Director of Sport Ben Kimber said:
“Formula E is an excellent addition to our growing Motorsport lineup. With a great variety of racing already on Stan Sport, Formula E showcases the future of the sport in a slick, engaging and seriously fast series our viewers will love.”

Formula E Chief Media Officer Aarti Dabas said:
“We are excited to partner with Stan Sport, the new home of Formula E in Australia. Our passionate fans will be able to enjoy all 16 races live and ad-free along with live coverage of our new knock out duels qualifying format. Plus, we’re looking forward to introducing new fans to our sport with highlights of every race airing on free-to-air TV with the 9Network. Australian motorsport fans can look forward to the thrills and drama of electric racing in the heart of iconic world cities in our biggest race calendar yet.”

The 2022 Formula E World Championship begins on Friday 28 January for the Diryah E-Prix - streaming ad-free, live and on demand only on Stan Sport.

1 Like

Seems like Stan/Nine are trying to hoover up as much motorsport as they can. The latest addition is rumoured to be the ARG events which have previously aired on SBS & Seven.

1 Like

Will be interesting to see what sort of FTA coverage the ARG gets under a Nine/Stan proposal and the flow-on effects on Supercars (these categories make up a decent amount of the non-Supercars track action at a race weekend)

2 Likes

I personally can’t stand Todd Woodbridge as a commentator so Stan has been a Godsend. And the lack of commercials in coverage is great too.

I notice a bug in either Safari or Stan has been fixed too. I use a Mac Mini hooked up to the lounge room TV. When Stan got Super Rugby rights I noticed that the stream would never jump out of low quality in Safari but worked fine in Firefox (albeit Firefox introduced occasional momentary pauses). Chrome had its own intermittent full-screen issues on all video at the time. Safari works properly now so I’m enjoying the tennis more than I have in years.

Should have gone for the Supercars coverage.

2 Likes

This is already looked up with Fox Sports until 2025 I think. But in a few years, they can.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Setting themselves up for a go at F1 and Supercars rights in the long term hopefully.

2 Likes

NEW ERA FOR AUSTRALIAN MOTORSPORT AS STAN SECURES SIGNIFICANT PARTNERSHIP WITH ARG’S SPEEDSERIES

• This new landmark deal with Australian Racing Group will bring some of Australia’s biggest local Motorsport events exclusive to Stan Sport all year round.

• New partnership will deliver an increased focus on world class Australian Motorsport

• National seven round SpeedSeries in 2022 from February to November with every race across six racing categories streaming ad-free, live and on demand only on Stan Sport

• SpeedSeries consists of six racing categories: TCR Australia, S5000, GT World Challenge, Trans Am, Touring Car Masters (TCM) and the Australian V8 Touring Car Series

• Exclusive coverage of Supercheap Auto TCR Australia Series racing

• Exclusive coverage of two iconic events at the famous Mount Panorama circuit in Bathurst: the Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour and Supercheap Auto Bathurst International

Stan Sport and the Australian Racing Group (ARG) are proud to announce a new partnership that will provide coverage of the brand-new ARG SpeedSeries and key Australian motorsport events, including two major events at Australia’s Motorsport capital, Bathurst . Every race from every round of SpeedSeries will be streamed ad-free, live and on demand only on Stan Sport.

The partnership will see Stan Sport broadcast SpeedSeries , the newest and fastest growing Australian Motorsport, for the first time. This will include exclusive coverage of the Supercheap Auto TCR Australia Series, S5000 Australian Drivers’ Championship, Turtle Wax Trans Am Series, Gulf Western Oil Touring Car Masters and Fanatec GT World Challenge Australia powered by AWS .

The SpeedSeries includes the upcoming AWC Race Tasmania event, the Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour and the Supercheap Auto Bathurst International.

Highlights of every event and SpeedSeries round will also air on the 9Network in the week following each round. The 9Network will also carry live coverage of the AWC Race Tasmania Event on February 12 - 13.

Australian Racing Group CEO Matt Braid said:
“This is a major partnership for the Australian Racing Group, our categories, events and partners that will take us to a new level. This partnership with Stan Sport comes at a time when they are growing rapidly and are becoming the destination for Motorsport viewers in Australia. The combined audience reach, engagement and promotional opportunities across Stan Sport and the wider Nine business offers an unrivalled level of coverage our motorsport categories and events have never had before. We are looking forward to commencing the partnership with our opening SpeedSeries event, the AWC Race Tasmania in February."

Stan Acting Chief Executive Officer Martin Kugeler said:
“The SpeedSeries is a fantastic addition to our growing lineup of exclusive Motorsport and highlights our approach to bringing premium content to Stan Sport customers all year round. This partnership will see the SpeedSeries become the cornerstone Australian Motorsport content on Stan Sport, in addition to our recently secured international lineup including INDYCAR, WEC, WRC and Formula E. The SpeedSeries is Aussie motor racing at its best, and we are thrilled to be partnering with ARG in an exciting new chapter.”

Stan Sport’s coverage of SpeedSeries commences with the AWC Race Tasmania event, including TCR Australia, S5000 and Trans Am Racing, on Saturday 12 February – streaming ad-free, live and on demand.

2 Likes

While the bolded bit is definitely what they’re aiming for with all of these motorsport rights acquisitions, it’ll be interesting to see whether Stan can pull it off. I say that because they were unsuccessful executing an identical approach with football (ie; the aim was clearly to pair the UEFA rights with the Premier League but Optus retained them).

As for the ARG announcement, I’m assuming the financial terms of the deal are good for them because this deal is a big step ‘backwards’ coverage-wise. Not only is the coverage now behind a paywall rather than being freely accessible but there’ll be much less live coverage on TV than when ARG was shown on SBS and Seven.

2 Likes

What I would say is that the EPL rights are a little different - that’s done through a blind auction process so you have very little ability to sway the rights agency/holders.

Not sure if F1 runs a blind auction process but in terms of Supercars it’s likely building a “home of Motorsport” type proposition would be attractive for Supercars to sit inside.

1 Like

Nine had the F1 for decades until 2000 so F1 would be a great fit for Stan.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised that whoever ends up with the F1 is going to have to share the rights with F1’s own streaming service

ARG and Supercars has some common ownership now, this could be a litmus test to see if Stan is a viable option at the next rights. Supercars TV arm were producing ARGs coverage last year (for the bits that did run) - wonder what the arrangement is for this deal

5 Likes

According to the V8 Sleuth link bacco posted, Supercars Media and Gravity Media will handle the production.

1 Like

I guess we will know by mid year, as the rights are due for renewal at the end of this season.

As F1 has said, international rights are on hold at the moment while they finalise if it is to be sold, with Netflix an interested party in ownership.

Plenty to play out, but Stan is making Fox sit up and take notice.

For me Stan needs to have a go at some of the rights to Australian Cricket games played overseas, not just the Ashes but when Australia play India and South Africa, both favourable time slots, mid afternoon into evening for India games and English time for SA games.

5 Likes