Stan Sport

Do they?

Formula E dont have a local broadcaster for this weekends round according to their website

1 Like

It quietly appeared on the app today without any announcement.

5 Likes

Wow! Another series lost by Foxsports

2 Likes

Stan is certainly ramping up their interest in motorsport, first WRC, WEC and Indycar, and now Formula E as well.

Suggests to me they’ll be making a big play at the F1 rights next year. Given the silence since the few reports some time ago of the F1 rights staying with Fox I would guess at this point those reports were not correct.

F1 would be an ideal property to split across Stan and Nine- you could put everything on Stan and have 5-10 races simulcast on Nine as well (to drive viewership growth and attract new Stan subscribers in the process).

7 Likes

Not a loss they’d be concerned about I’d imagine - Fox leaned into the series in its early days but recently only covered the race

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see an increase in F1’s own streaming service at the expense of a number of local rights holders.

3 Likes

Yep, I would expect most new deals worldwide for F1 to be non-exclusive with F1TV also having rights. NZ is an interesting example of this- you can subscribe to F1TV Pro directly but there is also the option of subscribing through Spark (with F1TV Pro free for Spark subscribers).
Germany was an interesting exception to this trend though- F1TV Pro was withdrawn for new subscribers in the wake of a new exclusive deal with Sky Deutschland until 2024.

1 Like

It appears that most of F1’s rights deals end by 2024

3 Likes

Assuming Stan get the upcoming F1 rights, I think it will stream the warmups, qualifiers and the main race, similar to Fox Sports’ current coverage. Nine will air a selection of races live including Australia

The Australian F1 Grand Prix will be very interesting as it will clash with Sunday afternoon NRL. Will F1 be shown live on 9Gem in NSW and Queensland?

1 Like

Ok, Stupid question but do the current Australian Open Broadcast rights for Stan also include the Men’s and Women’s finals? Or is nine going to have it exclusively on the main channel and 9now?

Both the men’s and women’s finals will be on Stan Sport

2 Likes

I haven’t been watching much of the Australian Open, but is there any difference between 9Now and Stan coverage other than ads?

1 Like

Use of world feed commentators and coverage. And then better quality stream. It’s been great for the tennis nerd like me

3 Likes

STAN ADDS FIA FORMULA E WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TO MOTORSPORT OFFERING

• Stan Sport has added even more world-class Motorsport action with a new agreement securing exclusive live coverage of every round of the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship

• Stan Sport is the new home of Formula E in Australia featuring live action of races and qualifying plus highlights coverage.

• Highlights after every round will be shown on the 9Network.

Stan Sport and Formula E today announced a new and exclusive multi-year agreement for the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship with all sixteen rounds of Season 8 streaming ad-free, live and on demand on Stan Sport plus highlights of every race airing on the 9Network .

The biggest-ever 16 race calendar for the all-electric ABB FIA Formula E World Championship opens this week on January 28 and 29 with the first two races of the series on the most technically-challenging track around the walls of the historic UNESCO World Heritage Site in Diriyah, Saudi Arabia. The Championship continues in iconic city centres around the world including Mexico City, Rome, Monaco, Berlin, New York and London and for the first time ever Vancouver, Jakarta and Seoul.

Stan Sport will become the home of Formula E in Australia, the only place where fans can enjoy ad-free, live and on demand coverage of Season 8 of the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship. Stan Sport will also offer fans live coverage of the all-new qualifying format where drivers compete head-to-head for pole position in knockout Duels. More sports fans in Australia will get the chance to enjoy the action-packed, unpredictable racing with highlights from every round shown on the 9Network.

Stan Sport will follow all the action live as the 22 drivers from 11 teams compete for the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship title. Reigning Teams’ World Champions Mercedes-EQ will once again have an incredibly strong line-up, retaining both Nyck de Vries (Netherlands) and Stoffel Vandoorne (Belgium). Nissan e.dams will be led by Swiss driver Sebastian Buemi , who boasts a highly decorated Formula E and Formula 1 career alongside his three 24 Hours of Le Mans victories. For the TAG Heuer Porsche Formula E Team , Andre Lotterer is joined again by Pascal Wehrlein , forming a formidable all-German lineup.

The ABB FIA Formula E World Championship is Stan Sport’s newest addition to its growing Motorsport line-up having recently secured the exclusive rights to every race of the 2022 INDYCAR , World Rally Championship and World Endurance Championship season.

Stan Director of Sport Ben Kimber said:
“Formula E is an excellent addition to our growing Motorsport lineup. With a great variety of racing already on Stan Sport, Formula E showcases the future of the sport in a slick, engaging and seriously fast series our viewers will love.”

Formula E Chief Media Officer Aarti Dabas said:
“We are excited to partner with Stan Sport, the new home of Formula E in Australia. Our passionate fans will be able to enjoy all 16 races live and ad-free along with live coverage of our new knock out duels qualifying format. Plus, we’re looking forward to introducing new fans to our sport with highlights of every race airing on free-to-air TV with the 9Network. Australian motorsport fans can look forward to the thrills and drama of electric racing in the heart of iconic world cities in our biggest race calendar yet.”

The 2022 Formula E World Championship begins on Friday 28 January for the Diryah E-Prix - streaming ad-free, live and on demand only on Stan Sport.

1 Like

Seems like Stan/Nine are trying to hoover up as much motorsport as they can. The latest addition is rumoured to be the ARG events which have previously aired on SBS & Seven.

1 Like

Will be interesting to see what sort of FTA coverage the ARG gets under a Nine/Stan proposal and the flow-on effects on Supercars (these categories make up a decent amount of the non-Supercars track action at a race weekend)

2 Likes

I personally can’t stand Todd Woodbridge as a commentator so Stan has been a Godsend. And the lack of commercials in coverage is great too.

I notice a bug in either Safari or Stan has been fixed too. I use a Mac Mini hooked up to the lounge room TV. When Stan got Super Rugby rights I noticed that the stream would never jump out of low quality in Safari but worked fine in Firefox (albeit Firefox introduced occasional momentary pauses). Chrome had its own intermittent full-screen issues on all video at the time. Safari works properly now so I’m enjoying the tennis more than I have in years.

Should have gone for the Supercars coverage.

2 Likes

This is already looked up with Fox Sports until 2025 I think. But in a few years, they can.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Setting themselves up for a go at F1 and Supercars rights in the long term hopefully.

2 Likes