Sports Tonight

I think it will be less of a traditional news bulletin and more ‘The Project’ but for sports. Hopefully a mix of analysis and discussion with a few longer high quality stories interspersed.

4 Likes

Completely agree. And add to this the fact it is airing on a network with diminishing coverage of actual sport. Not a good fit really.

1 Like

The set is the Sydney news one. You can see the middle plasma in the middle of the two large ones. All they have done is place white light boxes across the top. Nothing new.

1 Like

I think this line from the article posted above pretty much says it all

I think if you’re waiting until quarter past nine on a Sunday night to see if your footy team has won these days, then you’re probably not a true fan because there’s so many ways to get that information and the highlights and scores,” says.

He clearly says it’s going to be a different type of show.
Good on them for bringing back a form of local programming, if anything we should be encouraging them for supporting the industry and explanding their output. Not everyone has pay TV and there aren’t many shows aside from The Footy Show and Front Bar that are on late at night talking sport!

9 Likes

Once ten figures out its 8:30 timeslot on Sunday’s this will probably get pushed back to post 930. Until that happens at least it’s something.

Unfortunately ten really have no sports. They aren’t even bidding on small events that are available it seems. Who knows what the fuck they’re doing.

Sure. The show doesn’t actually sound compelling though.

1 Like

is that all the sports they are going to cover, aka AFL and NRL? Then why bother.

1 Like

But what major sport did Ten have during 1990s when Sports Tonight ran with Tim Webster (apart from the one day a Melbourne Cup, which coincidently he also hosted)?

1 Like

The Melbourne Cup Carnival was the only major sport Ten had screening only 4 days each year with the Cup itself on Ten.

1 Like

Good point. I think just supercars but no rugby, cricket or tennis.

1 Like

Australian Touring Car Championship now known as V8 Supercars Australia in which they had rights to Bathurst 1000.

Bails serving up some realness tonight to his twitter followers

5 Likes

Like SportSunday?

Guess he’s not getting a job on the weather channel anytime soon :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

The NBL was big in the 90s

1 Like

Just because Ten don’t show a whole heap of sport doesn’t mean they can’t have a sports news service. Its like saying “you don’t show a lot of news…you shouldn’t be doing a news service at 5pm” attitude. It’s like a totally differant network from a year ago! Great work rebuilding the network to be in the race again :+1:

12 Likes

Agree but you got to admit it’s kinda funny going “we’ll broadcast less sport but more talking about sport”. That’s what has happened with loss of BBL and launch of this. I hope it does okay. Sunday night’s need something fresh and Australian content replacing foreign reruns is never a bad thing.

1 Like

It is indeed coming from the Sydney newsroom

6 Likes

Overall the set and lighting looks great, still not sure about the desk though.

1 Like

Its great they can utilise the news set as a differant look for a differant show. Its pretty much why they created a set with plasmas so it can change. Looks great!

1 Like