Sports Tonight

I like that they’ve brought back the Sports Quiz:

2 Likes

Laurie Daily is going on a few weeks break, so someone willl fill in for him. Wonder who that will be? Maybe they could test the waters with Stephen Quartermain? Perhaps wishful thinking with him being in Melbourne… If not, who are some other NRL experts that could fill his boots for a few weeks?

2 Likes

Mediaspy interest in this program has dropped off to almost nothing already, it seems.

It seems conversation regarding ST builds during weekdays, as we were talking about suggestions of levitating the brand further in the Network.

I felt they should have put a few preview Ads during the Russell Coight Premiere as I’d imagine older Ten viewers would be watching solely for Coight and may be previous ST watchers or may not have heard of its return.

I’ve been enjoying Sports Tonight a lot, feels improvements to the News Department are evident when watching it.

Josh Gibson is already the AFL expert. More likely they get another Footy Focus talent (or Matt Burke). Perhaps Emma Lawrence on her arrival to the network.

2 Likes

10pm tomorrow? If it wasn’t dead before it’ll certainly be dead after tomorrow night.

I don’t think they care… they haven’t even promoted it lately at all.

Ten fail time and time again with their promotional strategy. We have been driven to death with survivor promos. It’s as though nothing else is airing on the network.

9 Likes

I know right because they have essentially killed the show. With all this chopping and changing of time slots. Keep it in a consistent slot and let people know where to find it.

4 Likes

Which is a shame as I really enjoy the show each week. I’ve noticed their Facebook Page has been more active during weekdays but other than that, terrible promotion by Ten of the revival so far. I still don’t understand why they’ve restricted advertising of it to Sundays only, barely any promotion during the week, no mentions during the News, poor effort in getting the name out there further.

They could at least have “ST News” updates as I and others have pointed out countlessly. They played Pointless Ads to death before the premiere and still do. Their ads really don’t hit the mark at all either to encourage viewers to watch their offerings. Hopefully with CBS bringing in Sales operations in-house in the new year, they’ll care about compelling advertising of Ten’s programs, because MCN clearly don’t at all at the moment.

4 Likes

What does MCN, or Ten’s new sales department have to do with the promotions of shows? :thinking:

Apologies, since they help with Advertising and Sales for Ten as a company, I imagined they helped with the advertising of their shows.

Established in 1997, MCN is Australia’s leading multi-screen media network, responsible for the advertising interests of:

15 capital-city free-to-air channels from Network Ten
70+ subscription television channel brands across Foxtel
107 premium digital publishers websites
50 m-sites
72 apps
Online catch-up and streaming TV service tenplay
3 IPTV services
73 Digital-Out-Of-Home screens within 19 premium shopping centres nationally

Aside from that, hopefully the show continues to grow despite being shuffled about in the schedule.

Ten needs to advertise this show more. Simple! Sadly, all they do is advertise Survivor and The Bachelor. And not much else.

Sports Tonight needs a consistent timeslot for this panel-type-show.

But they also need a straight out Sports-News show like what they used to. Would a 6pm version on the weekends work? Ratings are terrible in those timeslots, so surely it cant go any worse

4 Likes

This would be a good idea, “ST News”-branded updated during the week. Doubles as news filler and promotional material.

3 Likes

Not only that, it would also provide a point of difference to the other Networks, giving a more World approach to the Updates covering all Sporting codes rather than the common Australian ones, while also leveraging the Sports Tonight brand further across the Network which is sorely needed.

Perhaps they could be done out of Melbourne with Stephen Quartermain presenting them, as Ten’s new Head of News Ross Dagan said they plan to bolster his Network presence in the future.

4 Likes

What is even more disturbing, it is penciled in for next Sunday at 11pm. Surely Disgrace! doesn’t go for over 2 hours.

Maybe they should’ve revived A Question of Sport instead :thinking:

1 Like

How can the network hope this show builds it’s audience if it keeps timeslot-hopping.

Still run buy a bunch of amateurs.

3 Likes

That’s a commercial industry issue though. Happens with Seven, Nine and Ten. As a viewer you cannot rely on anything post-8.30 because there is no strict program timing which they seem to still have in the US.

And certain other shows a lot less! Ahem!

2 Likes