Sports That Don’t Have Or Need A Thread

“wins”

yes its pre-determined, but you don’t win at Wrestlemania unless your on the top. A Wrestlemania win is an achievement as its the one show each year that will be watched in 10 or 20 years time

1 Like
1 Like

Herald Sun reports exclusively today that Melbourne will become the first Australian city to host a National Hockey League match. Los Angeles Kings will play Arizona Coyotes in two pre-season matches at Rod Laver Arena on September 23 and 24. Both teams are in the Western Conference of the NHL.

In the current season, the Kings have qualified for the Playoffs but the Coyotes miss out.

UPDATE:

1 Like

That’d explain a WWE ad (in an airport aerobridge no less, would’ve been a Binge ad) promoting this… and a few of the stars wearing MMA-ish gloves to boot - which I felt a bit odd for them, but I wonder whether that’s more than a coincidence now.

Bring the Habs to Sydney!

a number of the big names were wearing MMA style padded gloves for years - The undertaker, Brock Lesner, hell even Heidenrich wore them in his run in 2003 - 2006

Former and current Olympians are up in arms over Australian Olympic Committee’s move to ban athletes to stay in the Olympic Village, after completing their events at the 2024 Paris Games.

1 Like

Aaah, so it was a fair coincidence then - appreciate it, I probably dropped off noticing it once it got moved onto Fox8 to be honest (which would’ve been a couple decades ago now, gosh), although I do recognise a few of the names. Brock Lesnar’s actually a good example of it having happened a while ago, especially since he did go on to have a big UFC career too.

As much as they want to come up with performance reasons, “There also isn’t enough room to house the whole team for the entire two weeks of the Games” sticks out.

Of course, part of that is just how big the support/high performance staff has likely grown - certainly in the two and a bit decades since Sydney, and Paris’ village is expected to cater for about 5% fewer people in total than then.

A bit of six of one/half dozen of other as to blame really, an austere Games or the current reality of elite sport. A bit crap for the AOC to tell athletes to pay their own way if they want to stay in Paris; certainly those in some sports could afford it, others maybe not so much.

That also assumes that the whole team is going to stay in the village. We know the Football and Basketball teams won’t stay there unless/until they’re scheduled to play in Paris (assuming they qualify, preliminary matches are scheduled to be outside of Paris), as well as those in surfing, sailing and shooting (all away from Paris) and many of the pro individual athletes (Golf, Tennis, Road Cycling) will likely be coming and going to other tournaments and events as soon as their commitments are done in Paris.

2 Likes

Surfing will be held in Tahiti during the Paris Games. The IOC previously said that athletes who compete at surfing would be flown to Paris after competition finishes, and stay in the Olympic Village so they can mingle with athletes from around the world.

4 Likes

And Marseille yes?

No?

The sailing is there.

1 Like

Ah ok, it was initially an option for surfing but they went with Tahiti. :+1:

https://theabl.com.au/news/trans-tasman-divide-as-auckland-tuatara-depart-the-australian-baseball-league/

Baseball Australia and Chief Executive Officer Glenn Williams has today expressed disappointment in the news that the Auckland Tuatara has been placed into liquidation and will exit the Australian Baseball League with immediate effect.

2 Likes

This could have happened at any of our NRL AFL, A-League etc sporting venues and players could have been severely injured…

What were they thinking!

2 Likes

If they wanted to demonstrate the qualty of the regions beef, then have a BBQ before the match and chuck out steaming hot steak to the punters. Simple.

Mmmmm… Now I’m hungry!

1 Like