Sports Broadcasting History

Which year was it that test cricket was being broadcast on ABC because Ch 9 had something else on (perhaps Olympics?) - ABC took the direct feed from Ch 9 (graphics, commentary etc) but no commercials

I dont remember too much, but I assume all the sponsored elements of the coverage (like how replays have a logo of a brand on it) were still intact though?

1 Like

Maybe the 2013 Ashes?

1 Like

I feel like it was longer ago than that - around 2003-2004?

1 Like

Happened a couple of times when an Ashes test clashed with Wimbledon, another series when nine refused to show the first season they offered it to the ABC buy they knocked it back. The last one had Jim Maxwell hosting in Sydney and crossing to the WWOS commentators. An earlier one perhaps 93 or 89 I think they had their own team in England.

1 Like

Plenty of unhappy people during that period. Seven forcing people to get Optus to watch the first session.

You’re probably thinking of Australia v Bangladesh series in 2003. Nine had AFL commitments

Nine graphics but ABC commentary.

3 Likes

Hmmm, it was definitely around 2003-2004 but I thought it was a bigger series than just V Bangladesh - and I thought 9 were still providing commentary

That clip feels like someone synced the AM radio feed to the TV signal (although lack of watermark would certainly hold creedance to it)

Not sure why 9 would push an entire test to ABC just for an afternoon of AFL games - my feeling is that the event they were showing was something bigger

1 Like

You’re right. It was the ashes, sorry I’m a little hazy on the years. It was only Sunday’s of tests and Sunday ODIs that the ABC had from Darwin and Cairns.

1 Like

Believe that Nine covered the Crows-Swans and Saints-Eagles matches that day.

I wonder if Nine stuck with AFL because of maybe Ten offering to air those 2 matches?

1 Like

Would seem odd - cricket would rate higher than AFL, so certainly a good example of these networks not being able to play nicely

Jim Maxwell called the two matches in 03, with Greg Chappel(who used to be with Nine.)

1 Like

I do remember in 1989, 1993 and 1997 Ashes series in England Nine onsold the rights to one test to the ABC because that test clashed with Wimbledon. In 1989 ABC had their own commentators and graphics, but in 1993 and 1997 used the Channel 9 presentation (sans sponsors).

2 Likes

This game was on the 3 August 2003, which was a Sunday during that time. Nine had to take priority over AFL during that time. It was shown live into all markets, IIRC. Correct me if i’m wrong, but what was the schedule like for Channel Nine on that day during primetime?

GEM and Fox shared the rights to the 2013 Ashes in England. NRL was shown on 9Go in Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania and WA. All sessions of the Ashes were shown on GEM nationally.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I got the years wrong.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming how old I feel! Doesn’t seem that long ago.

2 Likes

Yeah, as usual, TEN screened AFL on Saturday afternoon and night only. Correct me if im wrong but on Sunday, Nine shot themselves in the foot with the scheduling agreement for afl. TEN could have aired a game on sunday 3 august 2003.

1 Like

SBS aired the 2005 and 2009 UK Ashes tour

1 Like

Wasn’t it said Kerry Packer was indeed the one who was seeing the AFL’s then rapid growth and commercial success, pushing for Nine (to go in with 10) and end up being awarded broadcast rights?

Only for them it didn’t last long, losing to bitter rival Seven (in a new joint bid with 10) from 2007.

Was he alive during any of the second negotiations, I have a feeling he might’ve just been?

24 December 2005 - Mark Gibson reported that if the Nine decided to stick to the AFL at a price of worth $780 million with a co-deal with TEN from 2007-2011. WA viewers will be robbed that some Eagles and Dockers game will be exclusively to Fox. [Taken on Seven News Perth].
Nine ended its AFL telecast on 2nd September 2006 with Collingwood v Kangaroos match. I didnt watch that game during that time (as I was busy doing my homework). Tony Jones said a farewell to Nine’s AFL coverage after 4.6 years.
In early 2007, the AFL has awarded the rights to the Seven and TEN network and Fox Sports. This was a controversial deal that sees half of the games on FTA TV and half of them on Pay TV.

3 Likes

Yep!

LOL LOL

LOL

In the 2002-06 deal, nine had one Friday night match And 2 Sunday afternoon games. Ten had 2 Saturday game Sunday (arvo and night). As well as this Nine had the Easter Thursday blockbuster, Anzac Day games while Ten had Queens birthday games in it’s deal. All finals games are shown on Ten (as nine had nrl commitments). Southern states had other alternate programming.
Despite the strong ratings in afl in Melbourne, Perth and even Adelaide, I think nine treated afl with small amount of respect. Nine showed the game on 8:30pm Friday on a delayed telecast. In 2006, Nine Perth decided to show Friday night game at 7:30pm timeslot in Perth when Fremantle or west coast are playing on that night.