Sports Broadcasting History

That makes sense, Bennett never worked for Nine, and Perth matches were always on Fox because of the 6pm News on Nine.

some great commentators amongst that lot as well darrell eastlake at ian maurice on 9, graeme hughes and rex mossop on 10, ray warren on 10 and of course 9, peter sterling and paul vautin on 9

Nine also televised the World Motorcycle Racing Championships back in the 90s. 1996 was the final year for the Nine’s telecast. MotoGP was moved to Network TEN in 1997. Darrell Eastlake continued to be at Nine until his retirement in 2005/06. It was never the same without his voice.
2 Likes

Here is the Opening and Closing from Channel Ten’s coverage of the Sydney FC vs LA Galaxy game in 2007

4 Likes

Seven used to televise the 2003 Rugby World Cup in Australia.

Sponsor Billboard

RWC2003 Ident

Seven’s RWC2003 coverage was huge like the Final between England v Australia. This game was a very close match as this game was played in extra time. England won the World Cup in a nailbiter. Ratings have soared past 4 million metro viewers. Yikes! During the ratings week, Seven was very strong in the Sydney market thanks to the Rugby. As well as this, Seven won that week over Nine.

1 Like

I recall Bruce McAvaney hosting the Rugby coverage on Seven despite his South Australian and Aussie Rules background.

Obviously this was when Nine and Ten shared the AFL rights, so they had to find something for Bruce to do.

2 Likes

Strong finish to 2003 for 7 thanks to the RWC Final and Melbourne Cup. It was until 2005 when 7 began to challenge 9 in the ratings after a strong post-Olympics 2004

1 Like

Channel TEN televised the 2007 Rugby World Cup in France.

I didnt watch the game (as I was in bed at that time). The game was played in overnight in AUstralia Time. IIRC, they don’t have replays on TEN.
THe Canada v Japan match was played in Bordeaux in wet weather at that time.

1 Like

Forgot Ten had used a similar endboard for AFL coverage a few years back from 2007.

Channel 7 Olympics openers
Sydney 2000

This was taken in September 2000 (due to afl and nrl moving to earlier dates)

Salt Lake City 2002 (promo)

Athens 2004

Torino 2006

Beijing 2008

2 Likes

They went for an untried calling team of Rupert McCall (better known for his poetry), Ben Darwin and Ben Tune. Don’t believe any have been in a TV role since.

1 Like

Yes the commentary wasn’t that good but they had hosting out of Paris and the call team in the city the wallabies played and called from the stadium. Probably would never happen these days.

They also had a world in union magazine style program live from Paris as well. Was half decent coverage.

The subsequent two world cups were bought by nine and fox in some sleazy deal to prevent Ten/One from gaining the rights for the sports channel.

1 Like

First time ever I saw Seven’s opener. I was working in Hong Kong for most of 2004.

1 Like

Aired on Olympic eve

Promo for Beijing 2008

2 Likes

Further Olympics Openers

Vancouver 2010 (Foxtel)

Vancouver 2010 (Nine)

I find that Channel Nine’s Vancouver 2010 Broadcast was very poor - delayed telecasts in Perth, limited amount of live coverage. No replays during the afternoon. Having the Winter Olympics clashing with Cricket. Yikes. But I think Foxtel did a pretty good job.

2012 Summer Olympics (Foxtel)

2012 Summer Olympics in London (Nine)

This was a small step up for Nine’s London 2012 Coverage, although the telecast was still poor - replays of swimming, a simulcast of the Live Action with GEM in HD (bar ceremonies).

2014 Winter Olympics (Sochi) - Network TEN

TEN’s Olympic telecast was much better than Nine’s - Able to use two different channels - TEN and ONE. I would have thought TEN’s Sochi 2014 rated much higher than Nine’s Vancouver 2010 coverage.

2 Likes

For the 97 and 01 Ashes, Optus had the first session by themselves, while FTA showed regular programming.

2 Likes

The 1997 and 2001 Ashes were also shown on community TV in Perth as Optus Vision was not available there at the time.

3 Likes

Did the Optus coverage have the Nine team doing it?

1 Like

Never knew that Community TV aired the Ashes in Perth back in 1997 and 2001

2 Likes

Yes, the Ashes was on Access 31 which was Perth’s community channel at the time. I can still remember some late news bulletins using the cricket footage with Access 31 watermark at the corner.

2 Likes